Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Let's brag...

pfn

Name all the sports cars you've owned.

Me first.

This is your g(G)ods' truth. I don't even believe this.

In my life, I have owned and extensively driven, a 1964 XKE. It was a roadster and, of course, it was red. I, with help, purchased it in 1967 or 68 for $2500 US. I was 20 years old. Think about that!

Next up was a '64 Porsche 356C. 75 hp! and it was quick. German horses in '64 were huge apparently.  I sold it in 1975 for $2400. My bad.

Life intervened and the next interesting car wasn't until about 1995 and it was a 1991 MR2 Turbo. To most folks the least interesting car on my list but the MR2 is a brilliant car, light, comfortable and fast enough. It was a joy.

Fast forward to 2005 and a 997S Porsche replaced the MR2. I never warmed to the 997. Too complex, too fast for civilized driving and only 8000 miles for a pair of rear tires is absurd.

And finally, my current car is the '24 LC500. I'm still finding my way around this one but so far It is truly exceptional. The only thing is I find I'm driving it like an old man. Maybe because I am. My bet is the Lexus will be my last 'fun' car

All-in-all, iI've had a hell of a ride. And if nothing else I should be commended for my taste. 🙂

Your turn.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So many, not in chronological order.

Frog eye, Vitesse, MGB GT, Dolomite Sprint, Stag, RS 2000(fish net), Mexico Mk1, Cosworth Sapphire, Sierra Cosworth,  XR4i (x4), 308GTB, 911 Turbo, AlfaSud, Uno Turbo, XR3 (×2), XR3i (×3), Cavalier SRi (×5), ISF 

1 hour ago, pfn said:

Name all the sports cars you've owned.

Me first.

This is your g(G)ods' truth. I don't even believe this.

In my life, I have owned and extensively driven, a 1964 XKE. It was a roadster and, of course, it was red. I, with help, purchased it in 1967 or 68 for $2500 US. I was 20 years old. Think about that!

Next up was a '64 Porsche 356C. 75 hp! and it was quick. German horses in '64 were huge apparently.  I sold it in 1975 for $2400. My bad.

Life intervened and the next interesting car wasn't until about 1995 and it was a 1991 MR2 Turbo. To most folks the least interesting car on my list but the MR2 is a brilliant car, light, comfortable and fast enough. It was a joy.

Fast forward to 2005 and a 997S Porsche replaced the MR2. I never warmed to the 997. Too complex, too fast for civilized driving and only 8000 miles for a pair of rear tires is absurd.

And finally, my current car is the '24 LC500. I'm still finding my way around this one but so far It is truly exceptional. The only thing is I find I'm driving it like an old man. Maybe because I am. My bet is the Lexus will be my last 'fun' car

All-in-all, iI've had a hell of a ride. And if nothing else I should be commended for my taste. 🙂

Your turn.

Consider yourself commended !

and

"Maybe because I am. My bet is the Lexus will be my last 'fun' car"

Going out on high though got to be worth a bit of applause.

Come on how many of us have seen our dopplegangers (old and grey) toodling along in their downsized Kia whatever. If that's what you want go for it, but rather find a cliff first and do a Thelma and Louise.

Can't join your Brag as I have never owned a sportscar and still don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRT68 said:

So many, not in chronological order.

Frog eye, Vitesse, MGB GT, Dolomite Sprint, Stag, RS 2000(fish net), Mexico Mk1, Cosworth Sapphire, Sierra Cosworth,  XR4i (x4), 308GTB, 911 Turbo, AlfaSud, Uno Turbo, XR3 (×2), XR3i (×3), Cavalier SRi (×5), ISF 

Some nice cars there, ending with the best of the lot, the IsF. I had an AH sprite with a tuned engine🙄. It gave MGB owners a fright. But I would not really call those sports cars. Might look like one but the performance was dismal. Basically a Morris minor in a frock. The frog eye was more akin to a damp fart, and sounded like one too.

I’ll opt out of this ……. as I owned a general car sales business for some years with all sorts ….. and I often drove the unusual too ….. Aston Bentley RR ( that belonged to some erstwhile discredited and now decd celebrity ) Porsche ( not sure which ) Subaru Impreza WRX that had been tweaked to go faster too 👏 and lots more that have escaped me ….,, 

the Ls400 for some 25 years now, that vibrant modest Wolf in Sheep's Clothing that’s very very fast and quick ….. too much for todays everyday motoring maybe 

So I’ll opt out of these reminisces …… they were all freebies too except they cost my business lots ££££ 😇

But just remembered I still own and used to drive my 1932 Triumph Southern Cross Sports Tourer ……. a beauty for sure 👌

Malc 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Reliant Robin

Now you're talking. The excitement of not knowing whether you would get around the next corner without being killed.

Reliant Robin

• Haha 2

As we're talking SPORTS cars ...

MGA 1500 ... "YXU 70" ... reg still attached to vehicle but no V5C since Oct 1982.

Triumph GT6 ... "OYE 2L" ... reg still attached to vehicle but no V5C issued since Sep 1985.

This info suggests to me that both my ex-cars are in store somewhere.  If only ...

7 hours ago, Sundance said:

MGA 1500 ... "YXU 70" ... reg still attached to vehicle but no V5C since Oct 1982.

Triumph GT6 ... "OYE 2L" ... reg still attached to vehicle but no V5C issued since Sep 1985.

This info suggests to me that both my ex-cars are in store somewhere.  If only ...

and the Pony Express ?

8 hours ago, Sundance said:

I’ve noticed a couple of my old cars are still traceable officially too but I know have long ago been scrapped ! 

Malc 

19 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Unbrag.

Reliant Robin. Morris Marina. Renault 5. Nissan Micra. Volvo 345.

I’m with you! Have never owned a sports car, but…

Vanden Plas 1500 (posh Allegro); Lada Riva 1200L, Rover Metro 1.1C, Mini Clubman 998cc automatic, Mini Mayfair 998cc automatic, Hyundai Accent (it was the 1500 GSi though. Does that count as sporty?)

I’ll stop there…😇😅

• Like 1

1.4 SRI Corsa B Closest thing to a sports car when i first passed my test.  

1.6 Astra something? Was cheap and was used for offroading.  

1.8 MkII Cavalier Great car and super cheap insurance compared to my friends paying 3x what i did.  

1.4 Saxo VTR/S Bought from a friend, Gearbox blew up and friend reported car stolen. Cops seized the car. I was out £200 but my friend got charged with insurance fraud as i wasn't going to jail for car theft.   

1.2 Nova SR Great little car. Bought and sold for £500 and fitted a new engine after i bent a few valves.  

3.0 Toyota Supra Mk II My first official "sports car" Weighed the same as a 747 aircraft and rolled around like a boat in a storm but was fun to drive and i miss the old leather seat smell.  

1.6 BMW 316 WORST CAR EVER! DO NOT BUY! No power and the clutch went 3 months in to owning it.

2.0 Lexus IS200 Favourite Lexus owned. Love the dash.  

Dorito litre RX8 Brap Brap Brap is all i need to say. Shame the MOT failed with 4 A4 pages of repairs. Bought and sold for £100.

1.6 Renault Scenic Meh! First electronic handbrake which was kinda cool. Messed up cambelt change and it skipped a few teeth and sounded like a diesel.

1.8 Vauxhall Zafira Meh! Not my favourite but it did the job.

Whatever make is a Sedona... It was a brick on wheels but had the entire universe as space inside.  

1.2 Fiat Punto Most boring car to own and drive ever! I'd rather roll around in dog poop then sit in that car again. Still on my drive awaiting a subframe before selling it. £800 with full MOT after Christmas i hope. 

2.5 Lexus IS250 Loving this car. Lost of fun to drive but after market parts are few and far between. My thought process of buying this car is once all the other "cheap" RWD cars are used and destroyed for drifting the price of these will skyrocket and after market parts will become cheaper and plentyful.

3 hours ago, Spock66 said:

It should state SORN if they are stored off road, otherwise most likely they have been scrapped.

But no, that's not necessarily the case.

SORN only came into being in Jan '98 so any vehicle registered before then and removed from the road could easily be hiding under modern day radar somewhere and under no obligation to be certificated.

Classic examples of this are yer actual barn-finds. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

1.8 MkII Cavalier Great car and super cheap insurance compared to my friends paying 3x what i did.  

Had the Mk2 1.6 Cav as company car for many years, then got my first Cavalier Sri 130, that was my first 'true' sports car.  Loved it, even got let off once when i was doing 115 down the M4 late one night (God knows how I managed that).

Then traded sideways to a 1.8 full spec CDi, lovely car, but could only get to 112 (downhill), so had to get used to not chasing other t*ssers down the M4 when they had cut me up. 

It was not until I got my first LS 400 15 years ago I felt like had a car that could give a sports car a  run for it's money and stick to road well (when bone dry surface)

Been in  many sports cars, I still think best was the VW Corrado VR6 and Aston DB7, and worst Aston DB9 and TVR Chimeara (5 litre) and the most interesting E-type (coz it felt like a proper toy car).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Had the Mk2 1.6 Cav as company car for many years, then got my first Cavalier Sri 130

I had a similar experience with a Peugeot - got an M16 405 or was it 406? after having the std 405 with 1.9 engine. The result was banned from driving by the sheriff of Forfar for two weeks and £150 fine doing 135 mph on the A9 instead of 70.

The rover 825 police car could not catch me until I stopped at road works about 5 miles further on ☺️.

I never learned from that. Banned for 3 months and 300 Euro fine by the Tarn police doing 200Kph in a quick Megane on an empty country road with a 90Kph limit.

I am now a good and very careful driver thank you.😇

BTW - they chased but never caught me doing 175 on the M61 on a tuned Yamaha 1000... Not proud of being stupid - Sorry everyone! It was when I was young and very thick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"It was when I was young and very thick." May be ,but no one died and no one gets to take those memories away from you. I cannot imagine a world I would want to live in if everybody just did what was 'by the book'. No apologies for my viewpoint, I just think we would still be living in caves if some people didn't do the unexpected ,or pushed boundaries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrTrendizzle said:

1.4 SRI Corsa B Closest thing to a sports car when i first passed my test.  

1.6 Astra something? Was cheap and was used for offroading.  

1.4 Saxo VTR/S Bought from a friend, Gearbox blew up and friend reported car stolen. Cops seized the car. I was out £200 but my friend got charged with insurance fraud as i wasn't going to jail for car theft.   

1.2 Nova SR Great little car. Bought and sold for £500 and fitted a new engine after i bent a few valves.  

3.0 Toyota Supra Mk II My first official "sports car" Weighed the same as a 747 aircraft and rolled around like a boat in a storm but was fun to drive and i miss the old leather seat smell.  

1.6 BMW 316 WORST CAR EVER! DO NOT BUY! No power and the clutch went 3 months in to owning it.

2.0 Lexus IS200 Favourite Lexus owned. Love the dash.  

Dorito litre RX8 Brap Brap Brap is all i need to say. Shame the MOT failed with 4 A4 pages of repairs. Bought and sold for £100.

1.6 Renault Scenic Meh! First electronic handbrake which was kinda cool. Messed up cambelt change and it skipped a few teeth and sounded like a diesel.

1.8 Vauxhall Zafira Meh! Not my favourite but it did the job.

Whatever make is a Sedona... It was a brick on wheels but had the entire universe as space inside.  

1.2 Fiat Punto Most boring car to own and drive ever! I'd rather roll around in dog poop then sit in that car again. Still on my drive awaiting a subframe before selling it. £800 with full MOT after Christmas i hope. 

2.5 Lexus IS250 Loving this car. Lost of fun to drive but after market parts are few and far between. My thought process of buying this car is once all the other "cheap" RWD cars are used and destroyed for drifting the price of these will skyrocket and after market parts will become cheaper and plentyful.

1 minute ago, Winston said:

I think he said sports cars ?

Yes …… but our V8  4ltr  0 - 60 in 6.9 secs …… big old lumbering saloons put the SPORTing  Ooomph into our Ls400s  🤩

Malc 

in order

Triumph Herald convertible 

Lancia beta spyder 

Matra simca bagherera

MG Maestro Turbo (not sure if this counts, burst seemed very quick at the time)

BMW 323i Bauer convertible

Peugeot 206GTI

Peugeot 405 MI16

MG roadster 1800

BMW 2002

Nissan 1800 Turbo 

Mercedes 190 Cosworth

Jaguar XKR

Saab 900 Convertible 

Mercedes CLK 2300 convertible 

Porsche Boxster 3.2S

Aston Martin Vantage

Mercedes SL 400

Porsche 911

Lexus LC500

I missed out all the boring stuff

These are just the cars that I remember that gave me pleasure and excitement at the time

Thats all that sticks out there must have been more fun stuff.

It takes me back just rewriting this out. great memories 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Winston said:

I think he said sports cars ?

When i first passed my test that 1.4 SRI Corsa was a sports car. Everyone else running 1.0 ecotec cars while i had that full injection model with enough torque to pull my car left under full throttle...  

Technically my Supra was a sportscar. 😁

• Haha 1

My first car was a Singer Chamois that I completely rebuilt into a road stage Monte Carlo rally car. Tuned 998 engine, competition transaxle, revised suspension, stripped interior, harnesses competition seats etc.. Those safety mods saved my life when a front tyre let go in a fast bend.

Second car, a HP Vauxhall Firenza 'Droopsnoot' sold when I couldn't remove the rear alloys due to corrosion.

Third car, a Vauxhall Chevette HSR with full body kit and tuning by Aston Martin. Sold when I punched the diff extended nose through the floor pan jumping a humpback bridge in the Lake district.

Then came the sensible cars as the family grew. Vauxhall Cavalier, Rover Montego estate 7 seater great car. Shame it dissolved in the rain. SEAT Alhambra from new to 120k miles, fantastic car so versatile and completely reliable throughout. 

Then came the Mercs. First a bog standard C class 2.7ltr diesel from new to 120k. Must have added every option and coding possible over the years I had it. Changed the interior to uncoated nappa leather, so sumptuous but what a pain to keep clean!  Easily spent £20k on it. Sold to feed my V8 itch, a CLS55, what a monster! As Clarkson said "A thug in a silk dressing gown" That 5.4ltr supercharged engine was a beast, lucky if the rear tyres lasted 6k miles. I really miss that charger whine.

Now into Lexus, quite by accident I came across the RC, a truly stunning coupe, so good I bought a second. Knee and back issues forced a sale. Now in an RX, supremely serene transport!

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, Winston said:

in order

Triumph Herald convertible 

Lancia beta spyder 

Matra simca bagherera

MG Maestro Turbo (not sure if this counts, burst seemed very quick at the time)

BMW 323i Bauer convertible

Peugeot 206GTI

Peugeot 405 MI16

MG roadster 1800

BMW 2002

Nissan 1800 Turbo 

Mercedes 190 Cosworth

Jaguar XKR

Saab 900 Convertible 

Mercedes CLK 2300 convertible 

Porsche Boxster 3.2S

Aston Martin Vantage

Mercedes SL 400

Porsche 911

Lexus LC500

I missed out all the boring stuff

What was your favourite and why?

long time ago after saying goodbye to motorcycles i owned some sporty vehicles manufactured in Italy.

First one an Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1600 Bertone coupe. Bloodred and breathtakingly beautiful. Rust killed the romance. Best gearbox i ever had. Then another Alfa, the GTV 2.0 gearbox in the back transaxle. More GT than sports. Tuned engine, lighter flywheel, drank like an alcoholic. Sold after the breaks stopped working in the middle of town. 3rd one much later Alfa 75 INDY. again 2.0 and transaxle basically same car different shape. Great to drive when it worked. Got stuck in 3rd gear in the middle of Paris traded it in for nr4 the wonderful Alfa 164 with the V6  Busso engine. I think only 204hp but fast it was. And dangerous with FWD and left or right wheelspin. Just could not get the traction on the road. Had it for a year and a half and had 3 new clutches. When i literally had the gearstick in my hand, pulled it right out of the mechanism, i had enough. No more Alfas for me. I then entered decades of sensible companycars so here you go!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links