Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Glass cleaning compound and treatment

Not specific to Lexus LS models but the Glass cleaning compound and then the treatment stuff below works really well and worth using in my opinion. It's not exactly cheap but it's worth it.
I've used all sorts of products and methods on the glass over the years, cleaning normally, clay barring, glass cleaning foam, Rain-X etc. and combinations of, this is the best stuff I've used so far.

The stuff:

Soft99 - Glaco Glass Compound Roll On glass preparation cleaner, 100 ml - Glaco Glass Compound Roll On, glass preparation cleaner, 100 ml - Soft99 (soft99store.co.uk)
Cleans the glass really well, use on the windscreen and the rest of the glass. I've used clay bar in the past which does the same sort of thing, this stuff is easier to use and works great.
I had already used this on my LS400 windscreen so used it on the IS250 at the weekend. This car had a new windscreen a couple of years ago. I have cleaned used Rain-X on the IS250 windscreen but when it rained you see the water 'clinging' to the areas where the wiper is active. Difficult to explain but it wasn't right considering it's a relatively new windscreen and the Mrs kept saying new wipers are needed even though they are pretty new. After using the Glass cleaning compound, washing it off and rinsing, the windscreen was 'like new' and it had removed every bit of contamination and any previous coating applied, i.e. the Rain-X.

Soft99 - Ultra Glaco liquid wiper, 70 ml - Ultra Glaco, liquid wiper, 70 ml - Soft99 (soft99store.co.uk)
Easy to apply and works great, it doesn't repel the water as good as Rain-X I've found but it's supposed to last up to 12 months so will see.
I thoroughly cleaned the wiper blades and applied some of it as well, this was recommended by someone for Rain-X and stops any juddering and reduces smearing apparently.

So, windscreen done on the IS250, worth all the effort and worth every penny. Non of the 'water 'clinging' to the areas where the wiper is active' after being done.
LS400 all exterior glass done, cleaned and coating applied plus the interior door glass cleaned but not coated with Ultra Glaco liquid wiper. Glass literally looks like new.
More work for the door interior door glass cos you have to wipe it off thoroughly rather just rinsing it off with a hose. And again, worth all the effort and worth every penny.

Great to hear about a product that's actually recommended by someone else who's used it. Sounds very good. Never clay barred my screen before either. 👍 

11 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

Great to hear about a product that's actually recommended by someone else who's used it. Sounds very good. Never clay barred my screen before either. 👍 

It does the job very very well and I was surprised.
I watched the YouTube video below about 'Hyper Cleaning' the windscreen which was interesting. I didn't fancy using wire wool on the glass or windscreen though but looks like it works if you want to take the risk.

https://youtu.be/ihCK_hLSD4I?si=ycxH9SEfhcbw5Cpu

I don’t know about Lexus’ older models but I believe the windscreen and side windows have a hydrophobic coating which might be negatively affected by the use of potent glass cleaning products. 

• Like 1

The video was interesting but I like to look at the comments as well. It seemed a bit butt clinching to use steel wool or wire wool as we call it but the comments seem to be favourable. 000 or 0000 grade. Not sure if that's sold here or not. I was wondering if using the soap pads that we use for pans etc would work. Glass is hydrophobic but the rainx is supposed to make it bead off faster.

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

I don’t know about Lexus’ older models but I believe the windscreen and side windows have a hydrophobic coating which might be negatively affected by the use of potent glass cleaning products. 

Having used the product, I'm of the opinion that the compound will remove non-permanent owner applied coatings like Rain-X or other similar products. I didn't 'scrub' the glass with a lot of pressure at all, in fact far from it. Slight pressure and a few passes, horizontal then vertical, just like buffing the paintwork with a DA polisher or clay barring it and job done. But 'if in doubt, leave it out' would apply.

I don't know about others but my LS430 windscreen is already hydrophobic, ie. water beads up and runs off all by itself. I believe it is a factory coating.
At motorway speeds I can drive without the wipers on as the beads get blown off the screen, but I do prefer to have them on before someone gets upset about the idea. 😁
I won't use wire wool on the LS430 screen as I don't want to affect the existing coating that works well.
I do wipe the wipers with Rain-X every so often.

I have used the ultra-fine (0000 grade) wire wool on other windscreens (Honda Legend, Merc S-class, Vauxhall Carlton) before and it is awesome a removing ALL of the dead bug guts and tar and other crud that gets stuck to the screen. Use vinegar based window-cleaner with the wire wool and work in small circles.
No, it does NOT scratch the glass but you do need to be careful around rubber trim as it leaves a "matt" finish on rubber.
Once you have cleaned the screen with the wire wool, clean it again with some pink window cream (white spirit based window cleaner) as that strips any oils from the surface.
Then I would treat it with Rain-X including the wiper blades, and finally wash the car

On 4/2/2024 at 1:31 PM, lex - eleven said:

The video was interesting but I like to look at the comments as well. It seemed a bit butt clinching to use steel wool or wire wool as we call it but the comments seem to be favourable. 000 or 0000 grade. Not sure if that's sold here or not. I was wondering if using the soap pads that we use for pans etc would work. Glass is hydrophobic but the rainx is supposed to make it bead off faster.

0000 no coarser 🙂

Video made sense, I would think applying the 0000 wire wool, the real trick is to not over-pressure.

I have clayed  windscreens before and it is pretty good, so next time might give it the wire wool treatment and leave it at that.

As other posts say glass is hydroscopic it is only dirt that makes the water cling, and the reason why you get champagne bubbles.  If you had a 100% clean glass with bubbly in it, then you should get no bubbles as there is no dirt to cause nucleation.  

Does this mean to really check how clean the screen is you should chuck a bottle of Dom Perignon over your Lexus🤑

image.thumb.png.18596d841e39ad0f3f69f4f9eae4fb6d.png

• Haha 1

I never use other than soapy water on my glass, headlamps, windscreen etc on my Ls400s

As an aside and living in a hard water area ……. I clean down the inside of my glass doors and sides of my home shower with very fine wire wool, and water of course  …… works a treat 👍

Malc 

I have found Gtechniq windscreen treatment to be very good and you hardly have to use the wipers as it beads the rain off and lasts a very long time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links