Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New IS200 Owner questions

Div

Hi Guys,

I'm now the the proud owner of a silver 99 IS200 Sport with 60k on the clock, and satnav. I have to say that coming from an MX-5 I'm absolutely loving it!

I have a couple of questions about what I've found so far - I wonder if anyone can enlighten:

1. I have no warning triangle or first aid kit - should the Lexus dealer have supplied this - I think they said it's a chargeable extra?

2. The boot lift off the keyring is fairly pathetic - it barely lifts it off the lock. on other cars I've seen it fully opens the boot - is there anything I can do to give it moore oomph?

3. Can anyone reccomend anything for keeping the ecsaine clean?

4. With the headlights on 'auto' it doesn't seem to ever put the sidelights on - just off->dipped is this correct?

er I think that's about it for now. I'm off to clean it again... :smilegrin:

Div.

Welcome Div.

I don't think the warning triangle and first aid kit come as standard, I didn't get one anyway.

The boot opener is the same on mine, I don't think its supposed to open it fully just unlock it.

Headlights are either on or off with auto, (the way it should be).

Don't know about cleaning the escaine, haven't done that yet!

Enjoy it.

:bounce:

Think it depends on which (or if any) spoiler you have. I had a 200 Sport before which had the large spoiler that stood off the boot surface. Boot hardly opened at all. Now have a 300 with the lip spoiler, and the boot opens to about half way.

There are some metal bars at the back of the boot at the top which look like some kind of spring. Any clues?

Mine used to pop open a bit but then about a month before the 10k service it was just opening. So I got the guy to get it fixed at the 10k service and the serivce advisor (I like that!) came back to me after having spoken to the engineer said that it's actually not meant to pop open, it is just meant to open it enough to unlock it. And it's by luck how much your's open.

The warning Triangle and the first aid is not included. I bought my own and then realised that the triangle didn't fit properly into the slot (near the bumper) where it was meant to go, I have to keep on tightening it now.... bit annoying, but much cheaper I think.

Real simple resolution to the boot opener - always park the rear of your car to winward, this way the boot always opens fully - even with a spoiler (unless there is no wind). However I have seen a Pug do this once in gale force winds, the boot opened to far and went through his rear window!!!! :lol::lol:

A now redundant colleague had an IS200 the same colour as mine as a company car. Soon after he'd got it he walked up to mine and was furiously pressing all the buttons on his key to no avail. Mean-while his car sat with boot open and lights flashing. :D

My IS200 Sport has a pretty wimpy spring for unlocking the boot, so I guess it is just luck as to how far they open.

With keeping the ecsaine clean, I use Autoglym for the leather parts and a soft suede brush for the rest.

Hope you enjoy your car as much as we all enjoy ours! :)

The torsion bars that open the boot are pretty weedy - mine pops up about 5mm and that's it. The "wind assisted" opening can be a bit violent sometimes :tumble:

Good range on the remote though - you can unlock the doors from so far away that you have to run to get there before it locks again :tumble:

The points about the lights/warning triangle and first-aid kit are normal.

My boot opens all the way up - which never fails to impress people!

For the ecsaine trim I just use a clothes brush. The only time I've used cleaners is to get chocolate off. After 60K miles and 2 1/2 years it still looks like new (although I don't have kids, just messy friends). I use leather cleaner on the leather parts.

Mine only opens half way as well. With regards to the auto lights - I don't use them as going under some bridges switches them on - you then get stares from people who think you are flashing them!!

Thanks for your replies - sounds as if mine's doing what it should do - no need to get it back to the dealer yet then...

I'll try various cleaners out on the ecsaine - if indeed it's needed (sounds from your answers that it keeps itself clean - as long as no kids are involved). If I find anything works a wonder I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links