Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How To Keep Them Black?

terdancam

Lots and lots and lots of posts on alloys and tyre choices etc but i can`t find any on how to keep those bits of rubber looking like new.

I`m currently sporting a nice, newish set of Dunlop SP9000 all round, on newly replaced (under warranty) alloys.

I will be Sonusing (new lexii word there) the car at the weekend, but any "tyre shine" in an aerosol can lasts oh about 2 days if i`m lucky.

So what do you "old timers" use to keep that showroom shine?

Or is it a gold secret....................... :winky:

Lots and lots and lots of posts on alloys and tyre choices etc but i can`t find any on how to keep those bits of rubber looking like new.

I`m currently sporting a nice, newish set of Dunlop SP9000 all round, on newly replaced (under warranty) alloys.

I will be Sonusing (new lexii word there) the car at the weekend, but any "tyre shine" in an aerosol can lasts oh about 2 days if i`m lucky.

So what do you "old timers" use to keep that showroom shine?

Or is it a gold secret....................... :winky:

I use the Meguiar's "Hot tyre shine" (it's called something like that!). Spray it onto a sponge like applicator instead of straight onto the tyres - it lasts longer + it spreads more evenly. It costs £7.99, but is the best I've used so far. I have used the Meguiar's tyre gel, but it can be hard work and quite messy - and if you leave some residue on the tyre that hasn't settled in, you could find it on your paintwork after a drive.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to say ,tyre enhancing products are not recomended by tyre makers as they can result in premature ageing of the side wall area ;)

When a tyre is made ,it has chemicals in it, which rise to the surface and protect the tyre during its life, by adding tyre cleaners, ( foam or spray ) you shorten the life of your tyres , this information was backed up by a leaflet from British Rubber Manufactures Association Ltd.

Another gem from my motor trade days :winky:

Personally i use a gel, i think it's turtle wax's own stuff, but it works a treat! I make sure that i have given the tyres a good clean with a sponge and some detergent first mind, to remove all the s**t that they collect.

I don't use it very often, just for shows and when i have cleaned, polished and waxed the motor, so it looks really well finished!

Stu

Sorry to say ,tyre enhancing products are not recomended by tyre makers as they can result in premature ageing of the side wall area ;)

When a tyre is made ,it has chemicals in it,  which rise to the surface and protect the tyre during its life, by adding tyre cleaners, ( foam or spray ) you shorten the life of your tyres , this information was backed up by a leaflet from British Rubber Manufactures Association Ltd.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought these tyre products were there to prevent premature ageing and cracking of the tyre wall ?

When a tyre is made ,it has chemicals in it,  which rise to the surface and protect the tyre during its life, by adding tyre cleaners, ( foam or spray ) you shorten the life of your tyres , this information was backed up by a leaflet from British Rubber Manufactures Association Ltd.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I thought these tyre products were there to prevent premature ageing and cracking of the tyre wall ?

Well i read it out of one of their leaflets.....i can say no more :winky:

And i`m not arguing against Bob, as me don`t know any different, but what is "shortening" in the scale of things, given the respective life of a tyre nowadays anyway? Surely having new 'smaller' tread depths shortens the lifespan far more than any gloss product?

what u thinky? :huh:

You learn something new every day. :blush:

You learn something new every day. :blush:

Arrr.... we are never to old to learn :D :winky:

Meguiar's works fine and last less than 2 weeks, Protech 's last longer

The best I have tried is the one Renault dealer uses before delivering an used car (don't know the brand :( )

I recently used Protech's rim cleaner and it did the job quite well :blink:

Did hear a recommendation once to use black boot polish on tyres and black plastic trims to make them nice and shiney  :unsure:

I didnt try it on the trim, but the polish gives either a mat finish or a shine depending on your taste, dont use the liquid types just the wax type in the tin and apply with a stiff brush

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links