Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

saracen

Guys I currently drive an IS200 Sport and have ordered a new IS220d Sport for delivery next March. I recently have seen the prices for this car and for the spec I want I'm looking at spending £30k.

I'm now thinking of buying an SC430 instead, which has been my dream car for some time, which I think if I search hard can pick up for about the same cash. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the SC but my main factors are fuel economy and running costs.

The other half says that the running costs will be extortionate i.e. servicing, which I think will only be slightly more than the IS. The fuel economy might be an issue but I'd like to hear what others think of the economy of their cars.

Thanks in advance for your answers, :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - you should be able to pick up an early SC430 for £30kish.

test drive one - see if you like it. It does not get get reviews in terms of the ride and handling - but a lot of people report that changing the awful standard run flat tyres for a decent set of proper tyres works wonders.

Its a very different car to the IS. its only really a two seater - the rear seats would hardly hold shopping, never mind kids (dont even think of trying to get an adult in there). Not as much boot space either.

It will be more expensive to run.

It is insurance group 19, as opposed to the 13 of the IS200 sport (do we know the insurance groups of the new models yet?)

It will definitely be thirstier. I have the 4.3 V8 in my GS, and I'm averaging around 17mpg at the moment.

I can only recommend you test drive one, and get some insurance quotes. If you like the car, and can afford to run it - then go for it!

Servicing costs will not be that much higher than the IS200 compared to the difference in costs of the two vehicles, maybe £50 - £80 more per service. Fuel costs will be a lot more, don't expect to get more than 23mpg with mixed driving.

£30k will only get you one of the early models, they have since gone through two suspension revisions to try and make the ride better and removed the run flats.

You really need to test drive one. Get a 24 hour test drive. Personally I don't rate the car, the chassis is based on the GS which itself it's the best but remove the roof and the ride and handling suffer.

If you have the chance to live one of your dreams - DO IT :winky:

Get one... i been driving one for about a month now! i love it! Had to give it back to work now, but im thinking about buying one myself. The car is thirsty..especially the way i drive, but its a stunning car and drives excellent (well in Hong Kong anyways).

Guys thanks for the great advice and feedback. I think I can afford an early version of the car as it is now in the same price bracket as the new IS.

I agree with many of the others on here about following your dreams and it's true that I have always wanted one.

There are no kids in the household and even now it is rare that I have more than one passenger in my car so the poor back seats shouldn't be a problem. The other half has a Discovery so if there is ever a need for more luggage space for the odd shopping trip that too shouldn't be a problem.

I've been out for three drives in three different cars and loved them all... :driving: :P

I guess now I just need to find my ideal, platinum ice with black leather.

I have thought about the Boxster S but my only reservation is that it has a fabric roof. Even though it would be parked way off road I do visit a lot of places and would be worried about leaving it unattended.

I drove one of these 2 weeks ago at an open day with Lexus Liverpool.

I love the way it looks, probably more so with the roof up. I thought the handling with the roof down was really boggy and sloppy, it was on 05 plate as well. I was convinced about the brakes either, trouble was I'd just driven a new GS430 which was fab in every area.

My biggest gripe was that the doors seemed a lot higher than the driving position, if you could imagine resting your arm on an IS is pretty much parallel, on the SC430 I had to rest my arm at an angle.

you can buy a hardtop for the Boxster, ok you cant beat a metal fliptop but its a solution to rag top worries

having driven both the SC, and the Boxster... well, it depends what your after...

The SC is little more than a cruiser, push it hard and you'll be very dissapointed.

The boxster is surprisingly good - people slate it (saying couldnt you afford a 911?) but if it had any other badge on, it would be one of the best sports cars you could buy.

No rear seats, but surprisingly good storage space - and with your budget, you could get a 2 year old S no problems..

But if you really want a SC, go for it - you only live once...

I drove one of these 2 weeks ago at an open day with Lexus Liverpool.

I love the way it looks, probably more so with the roof up. I thought the handling with the roof down was really boggy and sloppy, it was on 05 plate as well. I was convinced about the brakes either, trouble was I'd just driven a new GS430 which was fab in every area.

My biggest gripe was that the doors seemed a lot higher than the driving position, if you could imagine resting your arm on an IS is pretty much parallel, on the SC430 I had to rest my arm at an angle.

i dont think the SC430 doors are too high. i prefer it like that. I find cars such as BMW 3 series too low, esp as im 6'3, it looks silly with my shoulders so much higher above the door. In the sc430, you sit much lower like the new MB CLK's....feels bit more sporty.

Performance of the car is pretty good i think. Acceleration is more than enough especially when you flick that pwr button by the gear lever! i love it!

Servicing costs are pretty reasonable. Service which was £200. You should see 20+ mpg.

With the roof up the boot is pretty big.. much bigger then a BMW E46 convertible. I can get a weeks shopping in the boot with the roof down, you've just gotta squeeze it in real good. :P

Only thing I would like is a bit more power.

Guys thanks again for all the great advice. I'm definitely on the lookout for an SC now. I do have a couple of questions. I'm more inclined to buy from a Lexus dealer just for my own piece of mind. Approved cars come with a 12 month warranty. Is it worth extending the warranty after this time and how much can I expect to spend?

In my search for a car is there anything I should be wary of, or anything that I should be looking out for?

Do you plan on modifying the car? As that would no doubt void your warranty.

Also I would imagine you could pay maybe as much a 5K extra buying from a dealer.

TBH I think the sc430 is a far more reliable and well built car then the alternatives (Mercs and Boxters) I would rather save myself 5K and buy some 20" wheels and a Wald bodykit. :P

I had no plans to modify it. To be honest, and please, please, please don't hate me but I'm not a big fan of modded cars, although I know a lot of guys on LOC are double mad for mods!

I know that buying from a dealer is going to add a premium but I want that peace of mind. I don't have the time or patience to have to deal with a private buyer or non Lexus dealer.

Only thing I would like is a bit more power.

You serious ? lol ............ greed ..... tell me about it, it happens to me all the time !

Go and buy the SC430 ! .............. far more rare than the Boxsters too ! :D

You serious ? lol ............ greed ..... tell me about it, it happens to me all the time !

Ahh its easy for you.. you just have to sit your officers exam... I will have to sell my soul to the devil and sacrifice small sheep in the name of the almighty hulla-hoop. :blush:

Or atleast spend 10k on a supercharger.

I had no plans to modify it.  To be honest, and please, please, please don't hate me but I'm not a big fan of modded cars, although I know a lot of guys on LOC are double mad for mods!

I know that buying from a dealer is going to add a premium but I want that peace of mind.  I don't have the time or patience to have to deal with a private buyer or non Lexus dealer.

Im with you saracen. I have only one mod on my SC - locking dust caps!

I do a lot of short journeys (3 miles from home to work) and I get about 18mpg / about 200 miles on a tank. I used to have an IS300 and this is only marginally worse for me - I used to get about 230 miles on a tank.

I would definately buy from a Lexus dealer for the peace of mind. To me its worth it.

If it was me, Id go for the Porche Boxster S. Im not a lover of the SC 430.

A Boxter....... :sick:

I test drove a SC430 a few weeks back on an open road event Lexus was hosting. I loved it! :D

Id agree about the driving position though, you do find it difficult to rest you're arm on the inside door. Other than that it was a pleasure to drive.

I had no plans to modify it.  To be honest, and please, please, please don't hate me but I'm not a big fan of modded cars, although I know a lot of guys on LOC are double mad for mods!

I know that buying from a dealer is going to add a premium but I want that peace of mind.  I don't have the time or patience to have to deal with a private buyer or non Lexus dealer.

Im with you saracen. I have only one mod on my SC - locking dust caps!

I do a lot of short journeys (3 miles from home to work) and I get about 18mpg / about 200 miles on a tank. I used to have an IS300 and this is only marginally worse for me - I used to get about 230 miles on a tank.

I would definately buy from a Lexus dealer for the peace of mind. To me its worth it.

Cllarky, did you buy your SC from new? If not is there anything I need to look out for when buying a second hand one. Any common faults etc??

• 4 weeks later...

well, this tuppence worth might be a bit too late in the day but rather than starting my own thread when I saw this one I thought it would be worth contributing to some of the thoughts I have read here.

I have just purchased an ex-demonstator 2005 MY. I previously had a 2003 RX300SE and a Audit TT 225bhp roadster. Both have now gone and been replaced by the SC.

In arriving at the decision my wife and I had a few "must haves" in our mix of boxes to be ticked. These included, in no particular order, - it had to be fun, fast, practical, preferably a convertible, have the ability to seat 4 at a push when needed, and lastly to be special.

After considering lots of cars including, Audi S4 convertible, Jaguar XKR, Mercs (yuck!), BMW M3 convertible (what?!) and a few others we whittled our selection down to a Maserati Coupe (4200), Porsche 911 (996 C4) and the SC. We test drove all three. Only Lexus Edinburgh (thank you Simon!) gave us the car for an extended period.

In summary, the Porsche was nothing special - sacrilege you scream! But frankly, it isn't. The 996 is not the car I had hoped for, Yes, it is a bit iconic and still looks good, but no, it wasn't "special", couldn't seat 4 (even kids) and I refused to buy the compromised convertible. So it was out (much to my dismay and suprise!). I don't believe it is that much different from the TT - a bit quicker but it handles similarly and we wanted it to be so much more. A GT3 though........hmmmm!

The Maser was awesome :D :P - just wonderful. 400bhp and a f1 gear box that worked a treat. 4 proper seats and a heritage and image to die for. fast? oooooooh yes! But, not a convertible, not even a sunroof (so what......just remember that engine!) but at the end of the day the 15mpg and the service costs of £750 for a basic coupled with the fact that this was to be a daily drive and our only car meant even I couldn't let me heart win out over my head.

so that ladies and gentlemen is where the Lexus came in........a premium brand, every extra under the sun, reasonable mpg, reliability and a standard of dealer service (well definitely in Edinburgh) that is second to absolutely none. In addition, that folding tin top is great, the power delivery through the V8 engine is soooo smooth. I can forgive the fact that this is not a sports car, Lexus don't pretend it is. Rather it is a grand tourer that just ooozes class and quality and begs you to hop in for a nice blast down the autobahn to Switzerland and then on to the Riviera.....oh, yes, I fell for it!

So, in answer to your question, you have here one happy owner - one that "offered" to drive back in to the city tonight to pick up the missus who was workign late just so I could put the top down and go for a cruise with a bit of Faithless blasting out on the Mark Levinson (oops, forgot to mention the hi fi didn't I ;) ). One that is now on his third Lexus.

Yes, the earlier cars suffered a reputation of poor handling but more recent ones are reputedly markedly improved. If you can, stretch a wee bit. If you can't, then maybe, just maybe, there is a Maser 3200 out there with your name on it!?!?

oh, and finally, because the car has a tracker I have almost halved my insurance!

all the best.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links