Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I Drove The Is Home Tonight

waddy

Proper piddle wet on the M1 and A14 on the way back from Notts tonight - heavy rain, loads of surface water (a lot more than normal)

The IS felt very, very skitty and unstable on the front end.

I slowed right down to 50mph for most of the journey for fear of doing ballerina impressions down the motorway.

Is this a normal occurrence with the IS200/300?

Scared me half to death :crybaby:

I had a great time on the roads tonight :D

TRC OFF

Boost

10" wide 255s on the back

No skittyness, i scared myself how much grip the car has!! It wiggles alot though as you plant the power down :D was doing about same speeds on alot of the corners i take fast when its dry....

Love the rain :D

I had a great time on the roads tonight :D

TRC OFF

Boost

10" wide 255s on the back

No skittyness, i scared myself how much grip the car has!! It wiggles alot though as you plant the power down :D was doing about same speeds on alot of the corners i take fast when its dry....

Love the rain :D

You must have big, hairy kahoonas!

Do you have a seatbelt just to strap them in when you drive :blink: :P

It may be because I am not fully used to the RWD yet - scared of putting the arse out in case it doesn't come back - that's what happened to the Cupra and that was FWD :crybaby::blush:

Never had a problem in the rain (but, as Scarface says, I drive like a pussy anyway)........but needs good wet tyres. Personally I swear by the P-Zero Rosso.

In the snow (hey, not so far away now peeps)........don't take the IS on the road. Throw another log on the fire, pour another wee dram, just do not go out in the snow in an IS :o

My car also feels very good in the wet with plenty of grip!

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres on my car which are amongst the best tyres you can buy for the car - they are very good I have found. Saying that I am naturally more careful in the wet due to the car being rear wheel drive. :D

EDIT: Mike your right! Snow! :yack: :yack: Car is dangerous without the right tyres in the snow. Not going to be able to "borrow" my sisters car this time either :(

haha...

When i first got the car, literally the day i bought it... i had it side ways exiting a roundabout... gave me a fright lol

Then i lowered it, and it felt alot more easier to predict :)

Then came the big wheels, and dropped it more and more and more.... and now its like its on rails lol..

You'll soon get used to it... but the stock suspension imo is the culprit to alot of the skittyness....

In the snow (hey, not so far away now peeps)........don't take the IS on the road. Throw another log on the fire, pour another wee dram, just do not go out in the snow in an IS  :o

if u dont have winter tyres that is! i cant wait for the snow to come back :D

In the snow (hey, not so far away now peeps)........don't take the IS on the road. Throw another log on the fire, pour another wee dram, just do not go out in the snow in an IS  :o

Yeah, but Rob, winter (in the true sense of the word) rarely comes to the UK for more than about a week each year.....and we see all the scenes on the news where the whole of the country has come to a grinding halt all because of "the wrong sort of snow" hee hee titter titter :lol:

All I can suggest is pay a visit to Dr Bones. I had the same problems the front end was funny, the rear well never sure; the car was edgy. Thought well this must be the way it is with a small high powered car. read the forums and decided to see the Dr. Had the cars geometry checked and adjusted yesterday.

Today had a quick run across country very very wet(100 mile round trip) lots of A & B roads no moterway. Had a great time the car behaved as it should and felt very good. NOW ALL I NEED TO DO IS GET RID OF THOSE NOISY DUNLOPSduh:.

By the way I drive high mileage and have had rear wheel drive forever, the control is in the right foot and your arse. The IS is fine as is..after its been to the Dr....... :D :driving::driving: :

Yeah, but Rob, winter (in the true sense of the word) rarely comes to the UK for more than about a week each year.....and we see all the scenes on the news where the whole of the country has come to a grinding halt all because of "the wrong sort of snow" hee hee titter titter :lol:

i know i know - everyone here laughs so much when the uk weather comes on and they say " dont go out unless u really have to" its like the wrong sort of rain when talking about the trains :lol:

the stock suspension imo is the culprit to alot of the skittyness....

I really don't agree with that.

With a four wheel alignment done and decent boots, I find the IS to be very planted and certainly not skittish. That's with both the standard and sport suspension setup.

Then came the big wheels, and dropped it more and more and more.... and now its like its on rails lol..

You'll soon get used to it... but the stock suspension imo is the culprit to alot of the skittyness....

That's weird mate, mine feels even more skitty now I've uprated the suspension :duh:

Definitely more predictable like you say which I found to be a big help in the snow, but in the wet if I drive the same as in the dry it fishtails everywhere and I can get the back end out way too easily so I tend to slow down a lot?

Maybe it's the bigger rear alloys that make the difference? I'm running the Toyo Proxes T1-S rubber?

Think I'm on 7.5 wide at the front and 8.5 at the back?

Have you got any additional camber arms / adjusters or anything like that Am?

Just had an additional thought actually - my car is better now I got a spare in the back, it was definitely five times worse without the weight, so maybe it's the ICE install you've got in the back which makes it stick better in conjunction with the fat tyres?

That's weird mate, mine feels even more skitty now I've uprated the suspension :duh:

Definitely more predictable like you say which I found to be a big help in the snow, but in the wet if I drive the same as in the dry it fishtails everywhere and I can get the back end out way too easily so I tend to slow down a lot?

Maybe it's the bigger rear alloys that make the difference? I'm running the Toyo Proxes T1-S rubber?

Think I'm on 7.5 wide at the front and 8.5 at the back?

Have you got any additional camber arms / adjusters or anything like that Am?

Just had an additional thought actually - my car is better now I got a spare in the back, it was definitely five times worse without the weight, so maybe it's the ICE install you've got in the back which makes it stick better in conjunction with the fat tyres?

Good points there.

The back is planted really well in the wet, of course i can get the back to step out due to the power and torque, but i know when thats going to happen. Where as before it caught you out.

I will add that i remove the undertray covers simply because it caused the car to aquaplane on very wet surfaces... okay so they ripped off over bumps, but that also helped i think

Proper piddle wet on the M1 and A14 on the way back from Notts tonight - heavy rain, loads of surface water (a lot more than normal)

The IS felt very, very skitty and unstable on the front end.

I slowed right down to 50mph for most of the journey for fear of doing ballerina impressions down the motorway.

Is this a normal occurrence with the IS200/300?

Scared me half to death  :crybaby:

Yes and No :excl: The IS can deliver handling expectations that puts other manufactures to shame, but we have a problem and thats the unstable geometry.

When i work 'with' a customer i feel a need to translate all the digits on the screen into 'forces', Initial readings may tell me the steering wheel is LHD the car pulls right, oversteers left, understeers right, then there is my need to explain 'why'......After the geo some post here in LOC and most cannot belive how the car now drives, the car always had the ability to drive like that but the geometry denied it.

Other than the 'Monster' no Lexus should 'Scare you half to death'.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links