Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Corrosion

Have already had the two offside alloys replaced on the wifes 18 month old RX300SEL. Now it is going back again this week for the two nearside wheels to be replaced. I know that this problem has been well documented elsewhere on this forum but I wonder if all you RX owners have ever had a look at their spare wheel. I just have although getting the wheel out is a dirty and akward job (whoever thought up this arrangement up needs shooting). Wheel has never been on the road but absolutly filthy due to the Micky Mouse mounting arrangement. Got it all cleaned up and guess what, yes corrosion bubbling through on both sides of the wheel.

So if your car is still in warranty would advise giving it a check.

Regards

Westie

Do the replacement's also suffer from this corosion problem too or have Lexus sorted whatever it was that was causing the original wheels to corode?

Seems very short sighted of them if they do.

Have my new RX arriving on the 29th and it sounds as if it will be in for repair more than I will be driving it from all I read on this forum :-(

if you get refurbed wheels then they should last longer than if they put on new ones.

You only hear of problems on these forums, the majority of RXs have no problems.

Colin

Sorry but if Lexus are changing these without so much as a murmur of protest I think that the problem is widespread. This is our second RX300 and we had the same problem on the first one.

Westie

if you get refurbed wheels then they should last longer than if they put on new ones.

You only hear of problems on these forums, the majority of RXs have no problems.

sorry your wrong, the people on hear moan if they have a problem yes, but i bet there are hundreds more with the same problems that have them fixed and dont even know about this site!

Haven't seen any pics of the RX350 yet. Anyone? Interesting to note that the 400h has different wheels to the 300. Differentiation or fixing a long standing problem? Wonder if the 350's willl be new? Must be costing Lexus a fortune replaving so many. When we bought ours in Dec 2004 I raised this as a concern and was asuured it was an early problem that had been resolved and wouldn't therefore effect our car. 6 months ago had all four replaced no quibble!

br

D

Had two sets replaced on the IS300 within 19,000 miles & now looks like the RX wheels are blistering up at the edges 4,000 miles.

My SEL is now a year old (12,000 miles) and is due two new front alloys under warranty. Seems like Lexus

are spending an awful lot of money on replacement wheels. Are the alloys they supply under warranty absolutely brand new ( and therefore unused) and, what do they do with all the old corroded ones ?

I can't believe that Lexus is ignoring such a widespread problem, the cost must be horrendous. If they just fixed it they could save millions and offer cheaper cars. I have not even taken delivery of my RX but I'll book it in today for replacement wheels and a gearbox sort :-(

I can't believe that Lexus is ignoring such a widespread problem, the cost must be horrendous. If they just fixed it they could save millions and offer cheaper cars. I have not even taken delivery of my RX but I'll book it in today for replacement wheels and a gearbox sort :-(

Yes it is hard to believe, but obviously Lexus doesn't see it like that. The wheel corrosion problem has been evident since the IS first came out in 1999, and so has their policy of replacing the wheels with refurbished ones if owners complain while under warranty.

Maybe they have fixed this problem with the new models, but their past attitude to this doesn't instill confidence. It's a shame that with the Lexus attention to quality control, that they chose to neglect this one area.

Personally, I've learned to live with it because the car is so good in other respects. I live in the country with lots of muddy backroads, so I've learned not be as bothered as some about how pristine my car looks. Anyway, when mud covers your alloys you can't see the corrosion :o

IanB :D

Well I think mine are fine... done 8k miles and is a year old. Though might have to change my mind if the dealer reports any issues next week at the service.

I also experienced the same issue on my MR2 roadster where I got a new set of weels at 2 years old...guessing it is a common toyota issue.

My 2003 SportCross is in today for alloy wheel replacement under warrenty - although I wasn't aware they would put refurbs on.

Is that the policy of Lexus GB???

Yes, they use refurbs. They are actually better quality than the originals! :D

The only direct replacement they change for new are the 18" styling kit alloys

Might be all Lexus Wheels.

I own an 2005 IS200SE, and before that a 2001 Lexus IS 200SE.

The 2005 is not 1 year old, and all wheels are being replaced due to "pitting". The old lex has new wheels on just before i sold it to lex due to the wheels being correded

Might be all Lexus Wheels.

I own an 2005 IS200SE, and before that a 2001 Lexus IS 200SE.

The 2005 is not 1 year old, and all wheels are being replaced due to "pitting". The old lex has new wheels on just before i sold it to lex due to the wheels being correded

Not heard of any GS or LS wheel problems, but I'd imagine they are the same.

I'm on my 3rd Lexus (2 IS's and now an RX) and I'm on my 4th set of wheels

I agree with Mr Morse the refurbs are much better

Not heard of any GS or LS wheel problems, but I'd imagine they are the same.

Had all of mine replaced just within warranty, about 6 months ago. Front passenger-side replacement now showing bubbling already! :tsktsk:

My 9 month old RX has only done 1000 miles and not used at all during 'salty road' weather (Lexus excuse for the problem), and yet all 4 wheels are showing the 'bubbling'. Last RX had the same problem. Surprised the Lexus service book doesn't state 'Change all wheels at first service!'

My 2003 SportCross is in today for alloy wheel replacement under warrenty - although I wasn't aware they would put refurbs on.

Is that the policy of Lexus GB???

Yes, they use refurbs. They are actually better quality than the originals! :D

The only direct replacement they change for new are the 18" styling kit alloys

Never saw this reply before collecting my car, so I asked the service guy, and he confirmed they are refurbs.

I said "So have they had any extra treatment so they dont corrode again??"

He said "Nope they are exactly the same"

I said "So will they corrode again then??"

He said "All alloy wheels corrode!! And I've never known anyone replace alloys like Lexus do, and I've worked at B*W, Audi, Merc, Saab. They all corrode but the customer just accepts it!!!"

I said "Maybe its just to do with Lexus owners having the knowledge that they can get them replaced!!"

I also asked what the warrenty was on the new wheels. He said the warrenty runs out with the original warrenty - ie. not even 12 months!!!

So my 1 week old alloys warrenty runs out TOMORROW !!!!! Thats b0110x !!!!

I got a new set of alloys out of BMW when my 330Ci ones started bubbling...difference was that they would not replace the single one that had been replace one as it had been kered and re-furbished (not by me..it was 6 months old when I got it)..so I ended up paying for one... just before I traded it I noticed it was happening again, and that was at about 1 year since the new set went on.

I think Lexus are a bit more forgiving than BMW, I know my fathers Rav4 had 3 kerb'd alloys when he collected it and as they were also corroding the dealer replaced then with no question.

• 3 weeks later...

And that mine started to corrode...noticed the tell tale bubbling on the front left wheel...will leave it a wee while till all 4 bubble before getting replacements.

Very disappointing....but not unexpected.

Mine have been good up until about a month ago due to regular(ish) washing and the car being garaged.

Now I have noticed bubbling about the size of a 5p starting on 3 of them. I will wait until my 30K service is due around November and get them replaced then (unless advised differently here). That should then hold out until I change it about 2 years later.

Q:

If they replace them when I present the car for service at just under 30K (warranty limit) will that be it ?

Any more corrosion replacement will need to be paid for ?

Heard that the replacement ones are refurbished....and meant to last better...?

Personally I'd get replaced asap..if you get a new set now...or after the winter. November worst time of year to get new alloys with all the salt on the road.

And why is the warranty limit 30k miles ??

Hi

There are a few mentions of 'only being done under warranty'.

I am just assuming that the general warranty for the car (3 Years or 30K) also applies to the wheels ?

How bad do they have to be for them to agree a change/refurb ? Mine look as they are just starting to go, but only very slightly at the moment.

I think it is due to stones breaking the laquer and allowing the salt and muck in. Colleague of mine has a X Reg Toyota Celica (1999) and he still has the original wheels which are fine !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links