Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Automatic Boot Opener On Is250

Ro1

On my new IS250, when I open the boot with any of the release buttons, the lid doesn't swing open fully. In fact it just unlatches and I have to raise it myself.

On my old IS200, the boot lid would swing open fully. This was a very useful feature. I don't see any advantage to it merely unlatching and not swinging open.

Has anyone else experienced this on the new IS? Is this the correct functionality? Is there any way to alter it?

Doesn't on the new GS either - Just unlatches - Then slight pressure back down again activates the auto closure.

The GS has hydraulics though doesn't it?

Well gas struts (as does the bonnet) - Just had to go and check :D :D but it only unlatches, it doesn't pop fully open. It's not supposed to. There is also a 'safety strap' attached that prevents the boot flying open violently and smashing the rear window in high wind

The Ed

Well Gas struts (as does the bonnet) - Just had to go and check :D :D but it only unlatches, it doesn't pop fully open. It's not supposed to. There is also a 'safety strap' attached that prevents the boot flying open violently and smashing the rear window in high wind

The Ed

That's what I thought, personally I prefer that, so it doesn't open by itself, but all it takes is a gentle push and the struts take over

So the new IS doesn't have this? :blink:

Yes, the new one clicks open and takes a big push to get it to lift up. I just don't see the point of the remote release if it doesn't swing open fully - if I have to put my hand on it at all, I might as well use the button on the boot instead of the remote key.

Does anyone reckon it's possible to have the struts or springs adjusted to remedy this?

There is also a 'safety strap' attached that prevents the boot flying open violently and smashing the rear window in high wind

The Ed

I think the strap is actually used by the auto-closure to pull the boot lid shut. It might be used as a 'safety strap' as well though.

There is also a 'safety strap' attached that prevents the boot flying open violently and smashing the rear window in high wind

The Ed

I think the strap is actually used by the auto-closure to pull the boot lid shut. It might be used as a 'safety strap' as well though.

Nope definately not (I've got the new GS) and the strap is only there for safety. The power close mechanism is nothing more than a 'soft close' i.e you manually lower the boot lid until the latch touches and then the power motor takes over and pulls the lid shut. It's designed (or so the blurb says) so as not to have to slam the boot shut (wouldn't want to upset the occupants of the back seats who have become used to being wafted around in style with a silly thing like a boot slam !!! :D )

The Ed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links