Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Lexus Isupra Conversion

gsportcars

Thanks Am. I was gonna wait but as I said a little persuasion and I'm telling everything :lol:

Good stuff, better that way :)

Maybe you could also note the prices for all the parts required for the build, but maybe thats something you don't want to know yourself :hehe:

I am trying to include as many prices as possible for people to see. I might just gather them all up and post it at the end??

Looking good Gavin.

Interesting to see how long it will take you from start to finish (actual hours on the job)

It is very hard for me to tell how many hours I have spent working at this as i try to do little bit here and there when I can. I can just try to give an idea of the difficulty of the work carried out..

One good tip to remember when doing this kind of project is to not drop a 60kg gearbox on your finger as it will take up about 10mins of your time at least afterwards. :yawn::lol:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, better that way :)

Maybe you could also note the prices for all the parts required for the build, but maybe thats something you don't want to know yourself :hehe:

I am trying to include as many prices as possible for people to see. I might just gather them all up and post it at the end??

Good idea :)

Just a quick update on some prices so far.

To get the engine brackets machined to fit the nut on it cost £38 inc VAT

To get the gearbox cross member holes machined out it cost £28 incVAT

I have learnt that i have to get a standard supra prop shaft to mate it to my IS prop. I have bought a supra prop for £50 plus £15 delivery from a member of mkivsupra.net

I have been quoted about £70-£100 plus VAT to get the prop mated and balanced.

I will post some more pics up soon.

Other small item include rubber high temp sealant for the sump, engine laquer to paint the block etc all added up to about £15.

A friend is modifying my steel oil pan from the sump for me. I will post pics up soon and I also still need to get the gearshift rod and bracket shortened by 55mm :yawn:

Of course Dave;-)

I got the manifold and turbo test fitted to engine as the manifold previously needed 2 of the bolt holes slightly widened. Got a few nice pics of it too. Don't have my lead for the camera but will post them soon.

Also painted the main block of the engine with black engine laquer to clean it up a bit. will be doing the sump etc with some nice silver paint.

Shifter rod and positioning bracket are away getting shortened but if the aluminium bracket doesn't take a weld I will have to get a new one made up.

Latest update with more pics!

I got some black engine laquer and painted the main block to make it a bit more presentable

The sump etc will be getting done with silver engine laquer soon

blockpaintxm9.jpg

My favourite part of the block :P

2jzhs9.jpg

I got the standard supra gearbox cross member back with the hole opened up to allow the bolts into the IS chassis.

The curvy one is the supra cross member that I will be using

gearboxcrossmembersih4.jpg

A close up of the holes

crossmemberholesla7.jpg

I finally got the manifold test fitted as there were a couple of holes that wouldn't fit over the studs on the block. Little bit of drilling sorted that out.

Decided to bolt up the turbo too for a test fit and to see how it looked :D you will notice the external wastegate on there too

turbowastegatereargh4.jpg

turbowastegatesideis7.jpg

turbomanifoldfrontmi2.jpg

A close up of the inlet on the turbo. Don't wanna begetting your hand caught in there when it's running :sick:

turboinletbiggn6.jpg

turboinletbig1ur4.jpg

Dropped the engine in once again to see how the setup fitted in the IS engine bay. Needed to be sure about this as the manifold was designed to fit in a supra which is slightly larger.

Once in I realised that there is plenty of room.

turbobayfarik9.jpg

turbobayclosesr8.jpg

turbobayrightpu8.jpg

One problem I found though was that the steering shaft and knuckle joint sits directly in the line of the outlet for the external wastegate. I will not be able to fit a dump pipe with the wastegate in this position.

I have not decided what will be the beat option for this but I will either have to....

1...shorten the pipe that the wastegate fits onto so that it's outlet misses the steering shaft

2...lengthen the pipe so it misses to the other side of the steering shaft or

3...Cut off the pipe altogether and extend a new pipe to the front side of the manifold instead of the back.

I will cross that bridge when I get to it :whistling:

wastegatefowlingov6.jpg

wastegatefowling1hi0.jpg

I am told the gear shifter positioning bracket is sorted as it took the weld ok so I will be picking it up tomorrow and I hope to have the sump pan and shifter rod before the end of the week. Then I will be re-sealing the sump and starting into the wiring side of things. I basically want to mate all the equivilant standard IS200 connection plugs with the supra ones so when it comes to the final fit of the engine i can just plug everything in.

I also have to sort out the cooling system and get some new water hoses etc etc to fit the new engine.

Then it's exhaust and intercooler piping time :shifty:

Looks really good mate :D

What turbo are you fitting? T70?

It is a TO4 turbo...about the size of a T61 or so.

drilling the extra holes in the member has reduced the edge distance a bit- hope there is enough left not to cause probs later on?

Don't worry mate there is plenty of material left. There are no other forces on this part other than to hold the back end of the gearbox up in position. I will be using large washers anyway just to be safe.

Coming alone nicely. And quite quickly as well..

Did you use the original IS200 rubbers or the IS300 rubbers(enigne mount rubbers) I used 300 and didn't need to machine anything.. The IS300 sump also fits. Same block..

I also used 2 x inlet side brackets but it depends on the the year of the block. Later model blocks you can use both IN and EX IS300 mounts (US forum is very helpful)

Matt also helped with a few sticky points (thanks again for the measurements, You end up getting that manifold?) Sorry Hi-jack :shutit:

Also not trying to be sound like a ****** but Ray Hall is not the founder his just one of the distributors for Autronic, Richard Autron is the man behind the ECU..

It surley is coming alone at a steady rate.. What diff will you be running? Standard or IS300 (something else?) Definitely be watching your progress.

Coming alone nicely. And quite quickly as well..

Did you use the original IS200 rubbers or the IS300 rubbers(enigne mount rubbers) I used 300 and didn't need to machine anything.. The IS300 sump also fits. Same block..

I also used 2 x inlet side brackets but it depends on the the year of the block. Later model blocks you can use both IN and EX IS300 mounts (US forum is very helpful)

Matt also helped with a few sticky points (thanks again for the measurements, You end up getting that manifold?) Sorry Hi-jack :shutit:

Also not trying to be sound like a ****** but Ray Hall is not the founder his just one of the distributors for Autronic, Richard Autron is the man behind the ECU..

It surley is coming alone at a steady rate.. What diff will you be running? Standard or IS300 (something else?) Definitely be watching your progress.

Hi Obsessed,

Is your car the oine with the 1JZ-GTE??? I think I have read about yours???

I am using the standard IS200 rubber mounts. I was gonna buy the IS300 sump but opted just to modify the GS300 one that I bought from a breakers yard. (Pics below)

I didn't realise Ray wasn't the founder of Autronic. I have obviously got my info mixed up somewhere :whistling: . It is known that he is a bit of a genius as far as these things go though.

To start I will be running my standard IS200 diff but I will prob source an IS300 one later down the line.

Cheers for the comments anyway buddy!! :D

I have made some more progress with the build :D

First of all I recieved my shifter rod back which has been shortened by 55mm. It is not welded just yet but the centre of the shaft has been drilled and tapped with a bolt running through the centre. This is so I can position my shifter my self to where I want it, then tighten the bolt and finally get it welded. Here is the shortened version

modifiedshifterrodug6.jpg

I have also recieved the shifter mounting bracket too. The cast aluminium luckily took the weld ok so no need to make a new one up

modifiedshifterbracketgw9.jpg

modifiedshifterbracket1mu8.jpg

Another item I recieved was my modified sump. Upon fitting this though I discovered that I had made a mistake with the measuring. the centre of the sump clears the cross member perfectly but I did not take into account the fact that the cross member is not straight and is curved. therefore the corners of the sump still very slightly foul the cross member. This is an easy fix though with just a fraction of the sump needing removed.

modifiedsumpunpaintedqj4.jpg

modifiedsumpunpainted1ut2.jpg

here is the sump after a coat of engine laquer. sorry pic is a bit dark

modifiedsumppaintedmo5.jpg

Here is the two sections of the sump fitted to the engine. Because of my dodgy measurements the oil pan will have to be removed again :yawn:

sumpfittedii6.jpg

sumpfitted1ko0.jpg

I recieved my supra prop shaft also and took a couple of pics before bringing it to get mated with my standard IS prop shaft

Here are the two props together. Hope I can explain this ok :duh: . The top one in the top pic is the front section of the IS prop. You will see that it has the spline at one end which is the gearbox end. As I showed in previous posts, the new gearbox has a flange connection instead of a spline. the pic below shows the two different gearbox ends.

The prop will be using the flange from the supra prop (gearbox end) along with the flange from the IS prop to connect to the rear section of the standard IS prop.

isvssupraproprq2.jpg

issuprapropendsiz5.jpg

Although this seems fairly straight forward it isn't quite that. previously the spline that fitted into the IS gearbox was able to slide in and out to allow for engine movement etc etc. With a flange at either end of the prop there is no allowance for movement which is a big problem as it can cause serious damage to the drivetrain. This is the reason I bought the supra prop. The supra prop has a sliding spline section in the middle of the shaft to allow for this movement. When mating the two prop shaft together, this sliding spline will be incorporated. This should allow for any movement needed. The pic below is of the sliding spline section but it is simply pulled apart so you can see the male side of the spline etc.

slidingsplinepropjointwi6.jpg

Hi Obsessed,

Is your car the oine with the 1JZ-GTE??? I think I have read about yours???

I am using the standard IS200 rubber mounts. I was gonna buy the IS300 sump but opted just to modify the GS300 one that I bought from a breakers yard. (Pics below)

I didn't realise Ray wasn't the founder of Autronic. I have obviously got my info mixed up somewhere :whistling: . It is known that he is a bit of a genius as far as these things go though.

To start I will be running my standard IS200 diff but I will prob source an IS300 one later down the line.

Cheers for the comments anyway buddy!! :D

Ray Hall is a very smart man no doubt about that. He is more than willing to help ppl out as well which is only more credit to him.

I have fitted a 2JZ into a black IS. Nothing special, but I definitely know how much fun you are having right now pieceing it all together. Its looking good and your putting a good thread together. keep it up..

I have fitted a 2JZ into a black IS. Nothing special, but I definitely know how much fun you are having right now pieceing it all together. Its looking good and your putting a good thread together. keep it up..

It is deffo more entertaining than watching someone else do it for you :lol:

I am quite enjoying the work as it lets me get to know the car inside out too.

• 3 weeks later...

Have not posted anything here for a while so thought I'd give those of you who are interested another update.

I cannot get pics onto the pc at the minute again because of my dodgy cameras but I have plenty more pics and will get them up soon.

What I have done since last post.....

Removed oil pan and aluminium sump again. Oil pan is getting further modified as mentioned above and the aluminium sump needs to get drilled for the oil return line. I for some reason thought that the oil return was in the main block in this engine :duh: . As the sump is from a GS300 it has no oil return.

The power steering pump is located on the inlet side of the supra engine and not the exhaust side like the IS pump, so I have fitted the supra power steering hose from the steering rack to the pump.

The supra one is longer than the IS hose which has given me enough length to stretch to the other side of the engine. The power steering resovoir has also be relocated to the opposite side of the engine bay. The return power steering hose is also running to the other side now.

I got a visit from Jonny, who is the brains behind the ECU. He previously fitted and mapped the Autronic SM4 for the turbo conversion. I needed him to tell me what sensors and pipes etc I needed to keep and what I didn't need. I was suprised to find out that I do not need about 90% of the whole IS200 standard wiring loom :blink: . Once I knew what I needed to keep I got to work on tidying/taping up the rest of the wiring loom. This has taken me about 2-3 days to complete in total. I first had to extend the wires that where needed, for example, the alternator is on the opposite side in the supra engine. Due to the fact that I wanted to hide as much wiring as possible I had to extend a lot of wires. This is because I bunched together the whole loom and have fixed it to the side of the engine bay below the intake manifold (out of sight) where it previously would have been fixed all over the cam cover. I have purposely kept all the connection plugs etc just incase I need to go back over something later on.

I have extended all the wires for the injectors so that they can come up from below the inlet manifold individually instead of being in a loom from one end of the fuel rail to the other. This is to keep the wires hidden as much as possible. The same principal has been used through out.

I removed some of the remaining air con hoses to get them out of the way as I will not be re-installing the aircon just yet.

I am in the process of blocking up any small water inlets and outlets on the engine block and intake manifold that are not needed. These include things like the original water hoses for the twin turbos as my new turbo is oil cooled only. there are also water hoses going in and out of the intake manifold which is to do with heating the intake when the car is cold etc etc. these are not needed anymore.

Once I get the sump sorted and re-fitted the engine will be pretty much ready for the final fit. I just need to get a clutch sorted so I can fit the gearbox. Once it is all in place I will be starting on the exhaust and intercooler piping. Then it's off to get mapped :D

Hey, I sit here in amazement reading these posts. Got a 1G-Fe also and would like to change the engine out also , but dont have the time, technical know how, money or courage to undertake a project like that. Cant wait to see pics of the finished product and the car on the track. Keep us posted!!!

Hey there

Great conversion.

I have a 1JZGTE VVTi with Getrag V160 fitted into my IS200. I see that you have found most of the small changes that you need to make - almost the same as mine. (For the tailshaft I use Landcruiser front shafts - everything in my car is Toyota sourced)

Things like the sump mod, greabox linkage shortening etc etc. - there is a never ending list of minor items that consume the time. Other items yet to be mentioned include air-conditioning connection, power steering connections as well as the best part - making 2 ECU's talk intelligently to each other. I have an Autronic SM2 fitted together with the IS200 ECU in the same case sharing signals. Took some working out.

Wait till you have to get the climate control to work - can help you with those sorts of issues.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Graham D

• 2 weeks later...
Hi mate, looking very good ............i take my hat of to you :D

:offtopic:

Marcus do u remember racing a black punto a while back and something went pop on your car and he pulled over to help ????

sorry for :offtopic:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links