Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Who's Offended By The Word 'snot'?!

aido

I've just read this over on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/6897494.stm

'Offensive' SN07 car plate banned

Car licence plates which bear the sequence SN07 were banned from the streets of Edinburgh because they are "offensive", it has emerged.

The plate had been due to follow on from the SN56 registration in March.

Licensing officials at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) changed the plate to TN07 to avoid it being similar to the word "snot".

The change means that cars registered in the capital are the only ones in Scotland not to begin with an S.

A DVLA spokesperson said the decision to change the plates was taken to avoid offending car buyers in the capital.

She added: "It is our policy that any registration mark that can be construed as being offensive to people will be suppressed.

"In this case, the SN07 marks would have been too similar to the word 'snot' and, as that could possibly offend some buyers, they were replaced with new TN07 registrations."

Who would be offended by that, I've seen existing plates around which spell worse, and you can just get stickers from places like Halfords that would cause more offence than the word 'snot'!!

Just seems stupid to be honest :o

[ content removed ]

I hope my spelling is correct :blush:

Looks like some of my profanity also gets through the filter. Sorry to the mods

Swearing, blasphemy or profanity (again either explicitly or by trying to deceive our profanity filter) will be edited or deleted without warning or notice and may lead to the member being banned from using the forum and / or banned from LOC.

10% warning applied !

That explains something!

I was up in Scotland last week and friends of mine had a brand new C4 Picasso on a TN07 plate, which I thought was odd since it’s from an Edinburgh garage. And anyway, I thought that the “T” series of letters wasn’t used – perhaps that’s why.

[ content removed ]

I hope my spelling is correct :blush:

Looks like some of my profanity also gets through the filter. Sorry to the mods

Swearing, blasphemy or profanity (again either explicitly or by trying to deceive our profanity filter) will be edited or deleted without warning or notice and may lead to the member being banned from using the forum and / or banned from LOC.

10% warning applied !

:crybaby:

Naughty naughty :whistling:

Was my poor attempt to be funny, that I was offended by the word snot with some expletives. Unfortunately some got through the filter. In my defence though I had been drinking and it seemed very funny to me at the time :lol:

Who would be offended by that, I've seen existing plates around which spell worse, and you can just get stickers from places like Halfords that would cause more offence than the word 'snot'!!

Just seems stupid to be honest :o

I'm sure if the word 'Snot' was only used as a reference to nasal mucas there wouldn't be a problem, but it's also used, although somewhat infrequently nowadays, as a term of contempt for a person. In that context I guess it's deemed unsuitable for use as a vehicle reg.

Just had a thought, if the DVLA think that SN07 is offensive, then what about TW47 (TW4T) plate? DVLA will probably ban these too.

These won't be out until 2047, how many of us will be around then?

I reckon it'll be TN08 next year as well, nobody wants a SNOB on their car!

Heck, TN09 will be released as well, to avoid upsetting those who find kissing offensive!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links