Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Doesn't A Forty Grand Car Deserve Better Than This?

I've just had a demo and an extended test drive in a 2007 RX400h. Very nice, and I'd certainly like one. But why is such a technically advanced car let down by such an antiquated audio system? The dealer kept telling me all about how the "Mark Levinson" label meant audio quality of the highest standard, but he was reduced to mumbling excuses when I asked where the DAB radio was. For goodness' sake, it's 2007, surely we shouldn't have to listen to BBC Radio Five Live on medium wave in a car which costs more than my first house? Quite ordinary in-car audio manufacturers seem able to make complete digital radio/CD units for well under a hundred quid. I wouldn't mind if it was an optional upgrade, but it isn't.

Optional upgrades, however, do include the generous offer of a cradle to plug your iPod into, for an amount considerably in excess of the cost of the iPod itself. I gather connections like this come as standard in some cars which would almost fit into the boot of the RX400h. I'd expect top-end audio manufacturers to have moved on by now and offer slot-in iPod systems as an option. Now that I would pay two hundred quid for, if they existed.

It got worse. As I pulled down the lever into "drive", a previously-obscured slot was revealed. It couldn't be, could it? Yes, it was! A cassette player! In 2007! Now, don't get me wrong, I grew up with TDK and Maxell. But that was twenty years ago. I think I still have a box of tapes somewhere in the loft, but I doubt my home cassette deck, pensioned off in the nineties, would still record new tapes. Even now, I can't stop giggling about this.

Am I some sort of bleeding-edge audio nut? I don't think so. I just want to listen to BBC Radio Five Live in decent quality, and play stuff off my iPod without paying through the nose for the privilege. The dealer fetched details of the 2008 RX400h - perhaps my wishes would be granted. Er, no. I get a nice blue "hybrid" badge if I wait for the new model though. :duh:

I've just had a demo and an extended test drive in a 2007 RX400h. Very nice, and I'd certainly like one. But why is such a technically advanced car let down by such an antiquated audio system? The dealer kept telling me all about how the "Mark Levinson" label meant audio quality of the highest standard, but he was reduced to mumbling excuses when I asked where the DAB radio was. For goodness' sake, it's 2007, surely we shouldn't have to listen to BBC Radio Five Live on medium wave in a car which costs more than my first house? Quite ordinary in-car audio manufacturers seem able to make complete digital radio/CD units for well under a hundred quid. I wouldn't mind if it was an optional upgrade, but it isn't.

Optional upgrades, however, do include the generous offer of a cradle to plug your iPod into, for an amount considerably in excess of the cost of the iPod itself. I gather connections like this come as standard in some cars which would almost fit into the boot of the RX400h. I'd expect top-end audio manufacturers to have moved on by now and offer slot-in iPod systems as an option. Now that I would pay two hundred quid for, if they existed.

It got worse. As I pulled down the lever into "drive", a previously-obscured slot was revealed. It couldn't be, could it? Yes, it was! A cassette player! In 2007! Now, don't get me wrong, I grew up with TDK and Maxell. But that was twenty years ago. I think I still have a box of tapes somewhere in the loft, but I doubt my home cassette deck, pensioned off in the nineties, would still record new tapes. Even now, I can't stop giggling about this.

Am I some sort of bleeding-edge audio nut? I don't think so. I just want to listen to BBC Radio Five Live in decent quality, and play stuff off my iPod without paying through the nose for the privilege. The dealer fetched details of the 2008 RX400h - perhaps my wishes would be granted. Er, no. I get a nice blue "hybrid" badge if I wait for the new model though. :duh:

Nice rant! My 1999 Toyota Altezza came with better audio than that, 6 disc changer, mini disc player... Oh the technology. I don't know too many cars that come with ipod ready systems as standard, definetly an expensive optional extra on most cars. Oh and welcome to the site!

The top-end system does have a multi-disc CD/DVD player which has an "MP3" badge on it. Now, if I could stick six DVDs' worth of MP3s in the unit, and it gave a track/artist display, I could get 400-500 albums in the system and there'd be no need for an iPod. Can anyone tell me if this is possible? Somehow it sounds too good to be true. My local dealer didn't know, so I'm planning to take down a DVD full of MP3s to find out...

I agree that we should now be able to get DAB, but I've heard from people that in many cases it's still quite primitive and actually sounds worse than analogue radio? I only ever listen to FM, so doesn't really bother me much.

Don't personally have any problem with the cost of an iPod dock, if you've been suckered into Apple's marketing, then you need to pay the price the brand demands :P

I'm sure I can count the number of times I've used my tape deck on one hand, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have them.........there are people out there who still use tapes, so why not provide it for them - although none of the new models have tape decks so I'm guessing the next gen RX won't either!

As with the IS and GS, I'm guessing the system will play MP3s on CD, but not on DVD which is something I agree is rubbish - there is no reason it should play one and not the other.

The fuss everyone makes about iPod docks does annoy me, why is every car manufacturer now under pressure to provide a solution for one particular device? I actually respect the ones that have resisted this - and applaud BMW for now introducing USB connections which will be universal.

The next thing that needs to be introduced is audio compatible with Bluetooth stereo - I would much rather be able to jump in the car, pair up, and listen to music wirelessly rather than have to plug something in..........

*Oh by the way, welcome to LOC! :)*

I used to use a seperate DAB tuner on my HiFi, using a roof mounted aerial. Even with a really strong signal I didn't really rate the audio quality. DAB is just about digital, easy to access content and not sound quality. The system uses low bitrates (128kbps on Radio 1 for example) and uses a very old codec (MP2 I think), so it sounds much worse than a good FM signal. Even Virgin Radio at 160kbps didn't sound great. The Medium Wave based stations are even worse as they mostly transmit in 64kbps mono.

I think a DAB system in a Mark Levinson audio system would not show off the system in it's best light.

I do agree however, that it is a waste of space putting a tape deck in a 2007 car!

Cheers

Phil

Parthiban - You're right of course: I'm using "iPod" in the "Hoover/Sellotape" sense. I should really have said "MP3 player generally". And you're doubly right about Bluetooth; my Sony Ericsson W880i mobile phone, not an especially expensive model, can carry as much music as the 6 CDs in the Lexus - and I always have it on me. Car audio is letting the world pass it by.

Phil (pobrown) - Fair point, but DAB is still a lot better than MW for those stations not on FM (Five Live, TalkSPORT, etc), even if we discount the DAB-only stations.

*Oh by the way, welcome to LOC! :)*

Thanks everyone!

Is DAB really that bad? I've never actually heard it, but thought it was better than that - so how are the radio stations on digital TV transmitted? Don't really listen to the radio on my TV much, but I've always thought the quality was quite good? (This is on cable btw)

You are right to a certain extent that technology is passing car audio by, although I do think that Lexus are slightly behind all the others - actually the Japanese in general always seem to be a few steps behind despite being so tech crazy!

The Germans have got freeview tuners, hard drives, USB ports and I think audi are currently developing Bluetooth audio - although this all does come at a cost..........

Sony Ericsson do a quite serviceable (and fairly cheap) Bluetooth receiver if there's a way of plugging it into the system via an analogue input. I mentioned it in this thread because I wondered whether the iPod MP3 Player :winky: Integration Kit could double up as an analogue input?

I'm with the others, I don't rate DAB at all. My father has one and every time I hear it, I can't help thinking it sounds, well, for a better word, asthmatic. Agree cars should come with an ipod dock. Hell if a Citroen C1 does, why not a Lexus? Tape decks, hehe, I'm with Mudz and consider it the perfect size to stick an emergency Kit Kat into.

Keith :)

I'm not a big fan of built in systems as they offer little in upgrading as technology advances.

The Steroe on my LS is OK but not great. No iPod connection, only six CD changer. No remote control and that bloody tape deck. Everyone laughs at it :-))

The sound quality is adequate but not stunning.

• 1 month later...
You know that tape deck - thats the universal device port !!!

Honest - buy a 8.99 cassette to MP3 player device (Link) For example ..

Bingo - anything with a 3.5mm stereo plug (you know headphone type) can play through the system ...

SORTED :shifty:

Thats a handy little gadget to have and its cheap as well...might buy one and see what its like.

Welcome to LOC. Seems like a minor complaint when considering you're buying into a luxury brand that offers you reliability that soars above anything that Merc/Audi/BMW could provide you. :shifty:

So it's got a tape deck. Not exactly a reason to slate a car!

With regard to ipod connection. 2 minutes of research points you to the following website where you can find details of products that allow a seamless connection of the RX to an Ipod, and can work out cheaper as the exchange rate is favourable

Vaistech ipod connection products

A search of LOC reveals a member who fitted the Vaistech to his RX successfully

LOC ipod integration on RX

Enjoy!

Reception and audio quality of MW/LW is excellent on my factory fit system complete with 12 disc changer. Does it really matter if DAB if it plays ok ? Tape deck is a useful "extra" although when my Lex was built was still in use by most people. ( Still got an old 8track somewhere if any members remember them!! )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links