Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi All,

Not the best way to start the new year – IS 250 auto sel mm in for 20 k service – not good news

1 new front pads and discs ( its the wife’s car and she is not an aggressive driver)

2 new front tyres uneven wear

3 service are now trying semi synthetic oil in place of fully synthetic to try to stop this start up rattle I have and the fact that I have put 3 ltrs of oil in over 9.5k

lexus techs say that the brakes discs have a lip on and the pads are 80% worn .In a previous post it was mentioned the Lexus Sheffield stated that discs were under warranty ?????/

could end up with a bill of £1000 for a 20k service .Hmmmmmmmm looks like its time to look at another brand as this is the second chance I have given Lexus .Have any of you guys used non franchised Lexus service outlets when still under manufactured warranty

cheers swager

Hi All,

Not the best way to start the new year – IS 250 auto sel mm in for 20 k service – not good news

1 new front pads and discs ( its the wife’s car and she is not an aggressive driver)

3 service are now trying semi synthetic oil in place of fully synthetic to try to stop this start up rattle I have and the fact that I have put 3 ltrs of oil in over 9.5k

lexus techs say that the brakes discs have a lip on and the pads are 80% worn .In a previous post it was mentioned the Lexus Sheffield stated that discs were under warranty ?????/

could end up with a bill of £1000 for a 20k service .Hmmmmmmmm looks like its time to look at another brand as this is the second chance I have given Lexus .Have any of you guys used non franchised Lexus service outlets when still under manufactured warranty

cheers swager

You can take your car to any VAT Reg Garage for servicing using genuine parts and your warranty is still ok.

Your discs should last for more than 20k under normal driving. just cause thay have a lip dont mean you need new ones, should be a spec as to how thin you discs should be, before changing.

My 250 SE-L had it's '20K' or 2 year service in late December by Lexus Bristol...it was £550.83 inc. VAT, but that also included supply and fitting of the Lexus iPod adapter/control unit (£230).

1 new front pads and discs ( its the wife's car and she is not an aggressive driver)

You don't have to be aggressive to wear out discs and pads, just over use...and most drivers do so with an auto due to less engine braking. Mine are showing signs of excessive wear after 17K miles of fairly aggressive driving :whistling: . IMO the 250 front caliper design is marginal which is why I've decided to upgrade to the IS350 4 pot calipers.

It may be worth talking to Tony Bones (WIM) as the second generation IS appears to suffer from a similar problem to the first i.e. excessive inner tyre wear on the front.

There's a Technical Service Bulletin on a similar problem, here's a copy. May be worth discussing with the Service Manager...he'll probably say he knows nothing about it and it only applies to the States, but it's worth checking the equiivalent VIN numbers/date of manufacture. http://is350.grantham-international.com/ts...d%20Startup.pdf

Quote:-

Applicable Warranty*:

This repair is covered under the Lexus Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in

effect for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s

in-service date.

Mine's due the 20k service in 10 weeks and I'm dreading it after reading this post. The discs are lipped and I drive gently, using engine braking where possible.

I suspect mine will be OK, but it will be marginal. I'll probably try and get non standarde/Non OEM discs and pads if I can if/when they are shot!! Hopefully they'll last longer!!

One of the main reasons for buying the Lexus over anything else was the perception of overall cost effectiveness, but I fear that over 6 years it will have cost a fortune...I recall my 1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Saloon GL, kept it for 7 years from new, 65000 miles, and it was still on the original brakes (discs, pads, shoes and drums). The only things it had other than servicing was one fuel pump (£110), 2 sets of tyres £240) and one exhaust (£135). Now that's what I call dependability!

At this rate, and if discs and pads do go this quickly, you could be looking at up to £3000 for servicing and routine/wear and tear maintenance over 6 years?? Sounds daft.

PS - isn't the 30k service the same as the 10k one?? £150-£180 dependig on the dealer, though one or 2 paid over £200.

Mine's due the 20k service in 10 weeks and I'm dreading it after reading this post. The discs are lipped and I drive gently, using engine braking where possible.

I suspect mine will be OK, but it will be marginal. I'll probably try and get non standarde/Non OEM discs and pads if I can if/when they are shot!! Hopefully they'll last longer!!

One of the main reasons for buying the Lexus over anything else was the perception of overall cost effectiveness, but I fear that over 6 years it will have cost a fortune...I recall my 1990 Toyota Corolla 4dr Saloon GL, kept it for 7 years from new, 65000 miles, and it was still on the original brakes (discs, pads, shoes and drums). The only things it had other than servicing was one fuel pump (£110), 2 sets of tyres £240) and one exhaust (£135). Now that's what I call dependability!

At this rate, and if discs and pads do go this quickly, you could be looking at up to £3000 for servicing and routine/wear and tear maintenance over 6 years?? Sounds daft.

PS - isn't the 30k service the same as the 10k one?? £150-£180 dependig on the dealer, though one or 2 paid over £200.

My pads were replaced @ 30k and so were the discs. I think the pads were £82 and the discs were covered by the warranty (which was a little bit of good news!)

My car will be due its 60k service in the next month or so, I think the pads will need changing & hopefully the disks will be covered!

My pads were replaced @ 30k and so were the discs. I think the pads were £82 and the discs were covered by the warranty (which was a little bit of good news!)

My car will be due its 60k service in the next month or so, I think the pads will need changing & hopefully the disks will be covered!

Hi all,

Thanks for all your thoughts and comment

Had a call back from service saying the car will not be ready until early next week because the dash has to come out to sort a rattle out – it goes from bad to worse.

Can the guy who had his disc replaced under warranty let me know what Lexus centre changed them under warranty and why, because I still think that the discs should last longer then the pads as the discs should not be classed as a consumable?

Cheers swager

hi,

i have my car serviced at sheffield, on my old is 200 the discs were replaced under warranty, my new is220d had its 10,000 service 5 months ago at the time i was told the discs were starting to lip and that they would be changed at the 20,000 service under warranty so dont let them charge you for them

I concur with much of the sentiments (advice) you have been given here by other - stand your ground mate.

However my post here is motivated by the fact they 'want to try' semi-synth oil. That would send alarm bells ringing for me on many counts none moreso than it can do your engine harm if you switch between syht. and semi-synth. oils. Your car is designed to run fully synth. oil and thats what it should have. Also it has run in with fully synth. oil - changing it now may cause other problems. Ask them, what type of oil is on Lexus' approved list, willing to bet its only FULLY synthetic oils. So you must ask them, why they're so keen to chuck in semi-synth.?

Absolute no-no if you ask me. Keep the fully synth. stuff and don't let them toss in anything else.

I concur with much of the sentiments (advice) you have been given here by other - stand your ground mate.

However my post here is motivated by the fact they 'want to try' semi-synth oil. That would send alarm bells ringing for me on many counts none moreso than it can do your engine harm if you switch between syht. and semi-synth. oils. Your car is designed to run fully synth. oil and thats what it should have. Also it has run in with fully synth. oil - changing it now may cause other problems. Ask them, what type of oil is on Lexus' approved list, willing to bet its only FULLY synthetic oils. So you must ask them, why they're so keen to chuck in semi-synth.?

Absolute no-no if you ask me. Keep the fully synth. stuff and don't let them toss in anything else.

Hi,

Yes thanks for support as I am getting more annoyed by the second, as you stated fully synth is the best and Lexus Bristol stated they always use it .as the car used fully synth from birth something has changed within the engine to burn that amount of oil and rattle on start up, although I can remember Lexus stating that the engine is designed to run on mineral oil to keep service cost down (that’s because you have to have the discs and pads replaced after 20k).

Somewhat lost the plot on this one as I am so angry with Lexus service .Can you guys please let me know if you have to top up engine oil in between services a.s.a.p as I think battle will commence on Monday as the car should be ready for collection and I need some ammo to fight with .

Cheer Swager

Hi,

Yes thanks for support as I am getting more annoyed by the second, as you stated fully synth is the best and Lexus Bristol stated they always use it .as the car used fully synth from birth something has changed within the engine to burn that amount of oil and rattle on start up, although I can remember Lexus stating that the engine is designed to run on mineral oil to keep service cost down (that's because you have to have the discs and pads replaced after 20k).

Somewhat lost the plot on this one as I am so angry with Lexus service .Can you guys please let me know if you have to top up engine oil in between services a.s.a.p as I think battle will commence on Monday as the car should be ready for collection and I need some ammo to fight with .

Cheer Swager

I've never had to top up between services. Have you checked out that Lexus TSIB I posted on rattles at start up???

The Lexus engine is designed to run on mineral oil - due to the short service intervals fully synthetic is not required. However, you can put fully synthetic in with no adverse effects.

I checked my oil today for the first time since Sept and 6500 miles - no problem. I would not expect any oil usage at all these days and it did not occur to me before this thread to check - also i assumed it auto dipped the oil like a lot do these days but thats my fault for not reading the book.

Hi,

Yes thanks for support as I am getting more annoyed by the second, as you stated fully synth is the best and Lexus Bristol stated they always use it .as the car used fully synth from birth something has changed within the engine to burn that amount of oil and rattle on start up, although I can remember Lexus stating that the engine is designed to run on mineral oil to keep service cost down (that's because you have to have the discs and pads replaced after 20k).

Cheer Swager

I've never had to top up between services. Have you checked out that Lexus TSIB I posted on rattles at start up???

Sorry for not replying but did forward copy to Lexus Bristol of the US fix but I was told that the engines in the good old U S of A were of a different spec and the rattle was on the IS 350 some two months ago.

Cheers swager

I wouldn't have said it was unusual to need to top up engine oil on a brand new car. Other top marques (like BMW) say that in very tight engines 1L of oil per 1000M is about fine (IE: normal and to be expected). Then at about 30K the engine should have bedded in quite nicely and that should be that.

In a new engine I'd always make sure I was checking the oil (not relying on sensors) because a new engine can use oil. Then I'd have a laxer regime of oil checking ;)

Always had Fully Synthetic in mine & my local Dealer does not use the "recommended" semi-derivative:never needed to top-up & I cruise @ 3 figure speeds on the Continent.

The IS 350 "Engine Rattle" is specific to that engine,no issues on the 250 whatsoever to my knowledge.

Tel

Sorry for not replying but did forward copy to Lexus Bristol of the US fix but I was told that the engines in the good old U S of A were of a different spec and the rattle was on the IS 350 some two months ago.
The IS 350 "Engine Rattle" is specific to that engine,no issues on the 250 whatsoever to my knowledge.

Neither of you read the TSIB then as it's for the IS250....

Quote : 2006 – 2007 model year IS 250 vehicles equipped with the 4GR-FSE engine and produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below. etc:

It then gives VIN numbers for both the TMK and Tahara IS250 production facilities in Japan...where ALL IS 250's are made. i.e. not just those destined for the US. It's a similar issue I had with the same service manager when I gave him a copy of the TSIB for the brake pads producing excessive dust. In the US the 250 was added to the TSIB which originally only applied to the IS350 so customers complaining of excessive dust could have ceramic pads fitted under warranty (along with new discs if necessary). The Bristol Service Manager said he would look into it...last I heard of it, but my pads are still producing excessive dust.

...and what's happened to the TSIB/recall on the fuel lines???

Can the guy who had his disc replaced under warranty let me know what Lexus centre changed them under warranty and why, because I still think that the discs should last longer then the pads as the discs should not be classed as a consumable?

Cheers swager

I think it was because they had warped but if I'm honest I can't be sure! Sorry

It then gives VIN numbers for both the TMK and Tahara IS250 production facilities in Japan...where ALL IS 250's are made. i.e. not just those destined for the US. It's a similar issue I had with the same service manager when I gave him a copy of the TSIB for the brake pads producing excessive dust. In the US the 250 was added to the TSIB which originally only applied to the IS350 so customers complaining of excessive dust could have ceramic pads fitted under warranty (along with new discs if necessary). The Bristol Service Manager said he would look into it...last I heard of it, but my pads are still producing excessive dust.

how much brake dust were ur pads producing? did they just change it according to ur word or do some tests? any difference on the performance of the brakes? wonder whether mine produces more than normal. mine has a slight squeak when u brake really slowly n come to a halt. dont know if they would just change that. or say there is nothing wrong with it...

Neither of you read the TSIB then as it's for the IS250....

Quote : 2006 – 2007 model year IS 250 vehicles equipped with the 4GR-FSE engine and produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below. etc:

sorry thought the TSIB was for 350 and you are corect there is one for the 250,have not checked vin number yet but mine is a 2005 although its a dec reg it could fall into this area .you are spot on with the amount of dust generated by the front brakes - why do you think this Lexus TSIBs are not actioned in the UK, because as soon as I mention the brake issue I know Bristol will say its only for the USA.Thanks for info will challange Bristol service on both counts today hen I collect the car , I will also enquire the TSIB regarding the fuel line .I have contacted Lexus uk but have had no responce to date .

cheers

swager

Can you guys please let me know if you have to top up engine oil in between services a.s.a.p Cheer Swager

2 litres since last March, 8500 miles travelled, gets wose as I get closer to servicing

Hi Jambo,

are you not concerned by the amount of oil you are using in a modern (green) engine, also totally agree with your comments on the cost of ownership maybe most of the 250/220 on the road are company cars so the cots are hidden.

cheers swager

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links