Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Just wondered if any of you have had this problem before:

Last Monday morning I was going to the gym before work at 5.30am (Yes it was that early!). I walked round to the back of the car, opened the boot, put my gear in and then went to get in the car. The doors refused to unlock when I did the usual of just touching the handle. I tried it a few times but to no avail. I pulled the fob out of my pocket and pressed the unlock button on it but still the car didn't do anything. Afeter trying for about 35 mins I managed to enter the car manually by popping off the door handle cover and using the detachable key from the fob. This set the alarm off (which did lots for my local popularity at 6.15am!). I managed to turn on the iginition and even start the car but the alarm still went off. I had to get out and leave it in the end to reset itself just so it shut up. I waited until 8.30 until Lexus service opened. They said that the keyless entry systems were badly affected by home wireless networks. In a nut shell, for 2 nights I had to park the car at the end of my street (where I couldn't see it) instead of my drive because this was the closest place to my house that the car would lock/unlock consistently. Lexus just asked for me to try it on my drive one more time on wednesday night which I did and it suddenly started working. Its worked fine since but the car isn't filling me with confidence at the moment. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, is it just me or does anyone else think its daft that you can start and even drive the car with the alarm going off?

Cheers.

Has anyone else had this problem? Also, is it just me or does anyone else think its daft that you can start and even drive the car with the alarm going off?

Had it just the once when I parked up in a new housing development in Swindon...the sort where you can shake hands with your neighbour when opening a window, if you know what I mean :whistling: . When I tried to get back into the car I had the same problems, and I guessed it was because of all the WLAN systems in that vicinity. I thought I read somewhere that the sensor for the remote key was in or around the rear window so tried that and got the door open, but when I tried to start the info screen told me it wasn't picking up the key....so I pressed the start button with the key fob and hey presto...it started.

It's happened to me once too.

If it affects you so much at home, ask Lexus to change it. I've heard of a couple of cases where it has been changed because of this. They won't change it because it happens the odd time, but your case is different as it is at home. They obviously have ones on different frequencies/carriers.

If the signal on your drive is too strong though, changing it will not help. Anything transmitting from your home, near the outside wall where you park your car? Wireless Lan, Portable phone base station, etc. It could even be faulty equipment so next time try switching everything off in your house (by the meter) so you know nothing is on.

Yeah me too. Couldn't lock/unlock car near house for a couple of days then it was fine again. Roadworks just round corner. Might have been using radio thing to check for leaks or something? Anyway whatever it was its fine now. That was the worst time. I've had two minor probs - parking next to an electricity substation and at tesco swindon's petrol pumps. Both those times I just needed to hold the key fob near the lock and the start button.

Just a thought....

What if you left the key in the car by mistake when you got out. Surely you'd be able to lock the car by pressing the button as normal, because the key is within detectable range. Wouldn't you then be locked out?

Just a thought....

What if you left the key in the car by mistake when you got out. Surely you'd be able to lock the car by pressing the button as normal, because the key is within detectable range. Wouldn't you then be locked out?

It won't let you - it beeps at you if the key is in the car.

Last Monday morning I was going to the gym before work at 5.30am (Yes it was that early!). I walked round to the back of the car, opened the boot, put my gear in and then went to get in the car. The doors refused to unlock when I did the usual of just touching the handle. I tried it a few times but to no avail. I pulled the fob out of my pocket and pressed the unlock button on it but still the car didn't do anything. Afeter trying for about 35 mins I managed to enter the car manually by popping off the door handle cover and using the detachable key from the fob. This set the alarm off (which did lots for my local popularity at 6.15am!). I managed to turn on the iginition and even start the car but the alarm still went off. I had to get out and leave it in the end to reset itself just so it shut up. I waited until 8.30 until Lexus service opened. They said that the keyless entry systems were badly affected by home wireless networks. In a nut shell, for 2 nights I had to park the car at the end of my street (where I couldn't see it) instead of my drive because this was the closest place to my house that the car would lock/unlock consistently. Lexus just asked for me to try it on my drive one more time on wednesday night which I did and it suddenly started working. Its worked fine since but the car isn't filling me with confidence at the moment. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, is it just me or does anyone else think its daft that you can start and even drive the car with the alarm going off?

Cheers.

Didn't somebody mention Sky broadband upsets the keyless entry about 12months ago?

I wonder if my old Snooper radar detector would interfere with the locking? When I used to go and pickup my kids from the ex's place I used to get into arguments with her neighbour if I forgot to switch it off, his sky channels would break up and be unwatchable if the detector was on :blink:

That was one of the reasons you could be done for having a radar detector - the interference the older ones gave off. You would be done under under Section 5(B)(i) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949. This was amended in 1998.

Just a thought....

It won't let you - it beeps at you if the key is in the car.

OK, thanks Geoffers

Happened to me a number of times, all in the same place!!! Bloody annoying...

Once your in its fine as you can put the fob right next to the Start button and it works... but getting in can be a challenge...

I found myself moving round the car pressing the fob like a mad man, eventually it worked...

Didnt even realise that there was a proper key hole under a cover on the handle, did wonder what the key was for though!!!

Once your in its fine as you can put the fob right next to the Start button and it works... but getting in can be a challenge...

I found myself moving round the car pressing the fob like a mad man, eventually it worked...

Didnt even realise that there was a proper key hole under a cover on the handle, did wonder what the key was for though!!!

Caspa for info

The boot can be isolated from within the glove box and then locked with the key should you need to leave valuables in the boot. Handy if for instance you park your car at an airport when it is taken away and parked by staff of the parking company.

Merv

Caspa for info

The boot can be isolated from within the glove box and then locked with the key should you need to leave valuables in the boot. Handy if for instance you park your car at an airport when it is taken away and parked by staff of the parking company.

Merv

Cheers Merv, nice bit of info...

Mines started playing up on my drive in front of the garage and in the garage. I had problems locking and unlocking and with the key not being detected. I managed to get it open by pushing the fob when near the rear of the car at the sides. Dealer replaced keys and it has never happened again.

Seems I spoke to soon. Today my wife was in the car sitting with it running and it came up "key not detected". I think this was because it was next to her mobile phone in her bag. Car opened fine aswell so was maybe phone giving out a signal.

I ran into a similar problem this morning.

I stood in a longish queue for petrol at the 101 Garage at Flitwick.

While waiting, I saw a lady in a current year Hyundai Coupe who was unable to unlock her car with her fob. In the end she put the mechanical key in the door and got in that way.

When I returned from paying for my petrol I got into my unlocked car, but then could not get it to start. On several attempts it just put up a "key not recognised" message on the display. Eventually I put the fob right by the start button and saw the green light come on, after which it started.

It's a bit embarrassing if you are blocking a pump at a busy garage.

Seeing the problem with the Hyundai and my Lexus made me wonder if something at the garage was generating a blanking signal, but you would think that would have given problems to lots of people and brought attention.

I tried the car again once I was on my own drive and there was no problem.

I will have a look through the handbook and see if there is a troubleshooting item that addresses the problem. The car is 15 months old - how long does the key Battery last I wonder.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links