Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Nova

loggyboy

Seems that my comments on my super car scaring Nova have been causing a stir. So just to back up my position that’s its not 'still just a nova' here’s some info including the work that’s gone in to it.

It started its life with me as a £100 MoT failure 1.2 Merit.

Front.jpg

I stripped it of most non essential interior parts.

Boot.jpg

And removed the punny 1.2.

EngineDown.jpg

I stripped and stitch welded the engine bay.

EngineBay2.jpg

The novas brake setup is heavy and full of play so I removed it and moved over to a Corsa Setup, placing the servo directly above the pedal, where the Battery should be. The Battery was relocated behind the passenger seat (good for weight distribution too).

ServoInPlace.jpg

The addition of the Corsa servo also allowed me to fit the Corsa steering column, for those who have driven a Nova may well remember its wonky driving position. It’s very annoying. This fixes that.

StraightColumn2.jpg

I have now also fitted the rack from a late spec corsa which are Electronic PAS, this gives me a quick rack for the bargain sum of £25. I could also fit the EPAS column easily now, which I may do at a later date should it be deemed necessary.

Next was the fitment of a Cavalier internal shifter, this frees up room in the trans tunnel (where the nova linkage is routed) for the larger exhaust and gives a better shift feel.

CavShifter7.jpg

The plan is to rose joint or do a direct to box linkage in the near future as this is full of play sadly.

Then along came the easy bit..

EngineIn8.jpg

GarageRollout1.jpg

All done. :)

I finished the car on a Thursday, its failed it’s Mot on the Friday on a split steering rack boot (caught it when grinding the bay!) managed to get it passed on Saturday and on Sunday I was out doing this.

Autosolo1.jpg

Its an autosolo, similar to an autotest but is all forward and on tarmac.

Videos:

http://www.loggyboy.com/Video/AutoSolo-040...va%201%20Hi.wmv

http://www.loggyboy.com/Video/AutoSolo-040...va%204%20Hi.wmv

http://media.putfile.com/Dave-Garside

(at a later Autosolo in summer)

and incar of the same run

http://www.loggyboy.com/Video/AutoSolo-090...Course4Run1.MP4

In which I finished 6th overall and 2nd in class. And because of the mods I get put in the Kitcar class, meaning I was marginally beaten by a Caterham and a Clan crusader (rare light kit car)

However the car was not built for that sort of event so I was very pleased it did as well as it did.

The engine was also fitted to my previous nova where it achieved a 14.2 sec 1/4 mile at santa pod and an approx 6sec 0-60. (on standard road tyres and the car wasnt as well prepped as this one)

With slicks (even road legal semis) i think it could be in to the high 13s, with a ATB/slipper this would be easy)

The engine has been dyno'd and despite being standard bar a K&N filter and a custom decat exhaust (not manifold) it achieved a healthy 143bhp at wheels, which is probably 170 at fly, 20bhp over the standard. Not bad for a 160+k mile engine.

DynoScan1.jpg

This means around 230brake per tonne, and a (genuine) top speed of 140, which is bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th, with adjusted ratios or a 6 speed box i think 155-160 would be a reasonable assumption.

The car has seen off a 260brake Subaru STI ( i was litterly backing off on both 'runs' and he was truing, a 300+ brake Esc Cossie (i know the owner so he was trying), it easily matched a FQ330 Evo, its locked horns with Boxster S's, 911s, and hasn’t come off to bad, the only car (so far) that truly made me look slow was a Porsche Carrera turbo, but not really surprising.

Sadly, from a stand still and to some extent round the twistys its never gonna win many prices against cars intended to do so from the factory, but in 30-130 sprint its has to be quite a special car to come out on top.

I’ve also got some adjustable coilovers on the way which I anticipate will aid me well in the Autosolos, and on sprints and track days that are planned for the future.

Feel free to poke fun and laugh at me 'just a Nova'

The best post I have seen you do on LOC ever.

If all your posts were as well thought out and presented I believe very few would knock you.

with adjusted ratios or a 6 speed box I think 155-160 would be a reasonable assumption.

Firstly I would have to say that Aerodynamics would have a large factor to play, and

I am still sceptical about some of the performance claims, but with a stripped out chasis,

Power/Weight Ratio will be good, which is obviously the main factor effecting acceleration.

Well done for being brave enough to post up at the risk of being shot down.

Really good read there mate, and to add to comments from the other thread, i would not fancy a nova as a car for the road it would not serve me but as they are/or have been a chav car the parts are cheap and for a track car are a very good choice. Well done for getting your hands dirty and building something for yourself9Anyone can get a bank loan and have something built but its special when done by yourslf and you understand whats going on under the bonnet) so hats off to you mate

Hey mate. Nice post. As Wozza says very brave because some people are going to tear it to shreads!!!

There's no way a Nova will do 160mph without extensive body modifications. The drag coefficient, aerodynamics simply wouldn't let it. There's a big difference in 140mph and 160mph - there's a hell of a lot more air to displace. Think about how many modern cars can do 140mph, quite a few. Yet think of how many can do 160 - not many.

I'm the kind of chap who is more than happy to drive cars but has absolutely zero idea of how they work. If there is some piece of information that I interpret incorrectly, it's totally from ignorance because I don't understand the technical jargon.

You said that the engine is 143bhp - 20 more than standard. Now tell me I've misread or mistunderstood a crucial piece of information, but a Nova 1.2 Merit engine is never in a billion years 120bhp.

I'm keeping an open mind about performance claims, I'd have to see it to believe it, but then anyone that claims a Nova will see off an Impreza STI or 300bhp Cossie will understand that it's a huge claim and will understand people will be sceptical. If it will blow a Boxter S into the weeds, fair play. I haven't watched the videos, can't be bothered to wait for them to load as my internet is slow at the moment.

I love the fact you stripped it of 'non essential parts' but you left the Magic Tree on the dashboard!! (if that's what it is)

I think a lot of people are going to ask you to put your money where your mouth is so to speak. I for one will be more convinced about the performance if you bring it to a meet and prove it (obviously not on a public highway). I will only be 100% convinced about it's Impreza-beating abilities if you sit on the start line at Santa Pod with me driving the Impreza.

Good post, very brave but don't take it personally when people start trying to pick holes in it.

Well done.

You've done the work yourself and to all intents and purposes it goes like stink and you do well in competitions.

TBH I doubt if anyone will take the wee wee as the majority of people on here could not dream about doing such a conversion.

prefer it as it was originally to be fair!!

hahaha no i'm jokin, looks really good! engine jargon means very little to me tho!

floating around westhoughton is a J reg dark grey nova, not sure what trim level it is, could be a GTE, has all the body kit and stuff, but it looks VERY tidy indeed

aren't many novas about that could earn that compliment!

Not certain about all of your claims (160 mph?), but still, fair play to ya mate.

You got a few people's backs up on my headlight post, so your post here is ripe for taking **** out of - but i'm not gonna. You've backed up many of your previous claims, and have built yourself what looks like a reasonably quick little Nova.

It is still just a Nova, and not the sort of thing I'd wanna drive around in. But i feel with a nice set of Eyebrows, it would truely have supercars shaking in their boots.

Seems that my comments on my super car scaring Nova have been causing a stir. So just to back up my position that’s its not 'still just a nova' here’s some info including the work that’s gone in to it.

It started its life with me as a £100 MoT failure 1.2 Merit.

Front.jpg

I stripped it of most non essential interior parts.

Boot.jpg

And removed the punny 1.2.

EngineDown.jpg

I stripped and stitch welded the engine bay.

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/MeritMk2/We.../EngineBay2.jpg

The novas brake setup is heavy and full of play so I removed it and moved over to a Corsa Setup, placing the servo directly above the pedal, where the battery should be. The battery was relocated behind the passenger seat (good for weight distribution too).

ServoInPlace.jpg

The addition of the Corsa servo also allowed me to fit the Corsa steering column, for those who have driven a Nova may well remember its wonky driving position. It’s very annoying. This fixes that.

StraightColumn2.jpg

I have now also fitted the rack from a late spec corsa which are Electronic PAS, this gives me a quick rack for the bargain sum of £25. I could also fit the EPAS column easily now, which I may do at a later date should it be deemed necessary.

Next was the fitment of a Cavalier internal shifter, this frees up room in the trans tunnel (where the nova linkage is routed) for the larger exhaust and gives a better shift feel.

CavShifter7.jpg

The plan is to rose joint or do a direct to box linkage in the near future as this is full of play sadly.

Then along came the easy bit..

EngineIn8.jpg

GarageRollout1.jpg

All done. :)

I finished the car on a Thursday, its failed it’s Mot on the Friday on a split steering rack boot (caught it when grinding the bay!) managed to get it passed on Saturday and on Sunday I was out doing this.

Autosolo1.jpg

Its an autosolo, similar to an autotest but is all forward and on tarmac.

Videos:

http://www.loggyboy.com/Video/AutoSolo-040...va%201%20Hi.wmv

http://www.loggyboy.com/Video/AutoSolo-040...va%204%20Hi.wmv

http://media.putfile.com/Dave-Garside

(at a later Autosolo in summer)

and incar of the same run

http://www.loggyboy.com/Video/AutoSolo-090...Course4Run1.MP4

In which I finished 6th overall and 2nd in class. And because of the mods I get put in the Kitcar class, meaning I was marginally beaten by a Caterham and a Clan crusader (rare light kit car)

However the car was not built for that sort of event so I was very pleased it did as well as it did.

The engine was also fitted to my previous nova where it achieved a 14.2 sec 1/4 mile at santa pod and an approx 6sec 0-60. (on standard road tyres and the car wasnt as well prepped as this one)

With slicks (even road legal semis) i think it could be in to the high 13s, with a ATB/slipper this would be easy)

The engine has been dyno'd and despite being standard bar a K&N filter and a custom decat exhaust (not manifold) it achieved a healthy 143bhp at wheels, which is probably 170 at fly, 20bhp over the standard. Not bad for a 160+k mile engine.

DynoScan1.jpg

This means around 230brake per tonne, and a (genuine) top speed of 140, which is bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th, with adjusted ratios or a 6 speed box i think 155-160 would be a reasonable assumption.

The car has seen off a 260brake Subaru STI ( i was litterly backing off on both 'runs' and he was truing, a 300+ brake Esc Cossie (i know the owner so he was trying), it easily matched a FQ330 Evo, its locked horns with Boxster S's, 911s, and hasn’t come off to bad, the only car (so far) that truly made me look slow was a Porsche Carrera turbo, but not really surprising.

Sadly, from a stand still and to some extent round the twistys its never gonna win many prices against cars intended to do so from the factory, but in 30-130 sprint its has to be quite a special car to come out on top.

I’ve also got some adjustable coilovers on the way which I anticipate will aid me well in the Autosolos, and on sprints and track days that are planned for the future.

Feel free to poke fun and laugh at me 'just a Nova'

Excellent post and some god shots there , still , although you seem to have worked extremely hard on your project you stated that it scared off supercars , well , in my head supercars are Lambo's , Ferrari's and the like and yet you say a Porsche made you look slow , so there you have it . I am not going to mock as you have " put up " and chanced ridicule whare you could of just left it as hearsay , well done , a superb post and although I have not been on the LOC long I enjoyed reading it .

Well Done .

Regards

Paul.

just out of interest... your claiming 230bhp per tonne with what? 160bhp?

Have you weighed the car, or is this just a guesstimate? a bigger engine will add a lot of weight, and considering the Lotus Elise 111R which ways 700kg with 190bhp lightweight 1.8 engine is only 220bhp/tonne - I think you may be overestimating this performance claim.

Also, 6 seconds to 60 sounds pretty slow to me? Especially for 230/ton - but also since you claim its a supercar slayer? My 996 C2 was hardly a supercar and that was nearly a second quicker to 60, and with a top end at 175mph..

But then, its a stripped out nova - so credit where credits due for the work, and I see the point for autotests, but not as a fast road car.

Sorry , I forgot to mention , ther is a guy who owns a business on Lympne Industrial estate (nr Folkestone Kent) who races small hatchbacks , I don't know the in's and out's but he has a Saxo which is stripped out and it has two Honda Fireblade engines (one for each rear wheel) when I heard the thing it was unbearable , like eardrum-bursting stuff , as I say I don't know much about it but I know its for real.

Nice project you had there i know how light they are from working on a few in the garage, very BRAVE thing to post on here but hat of to you. you saw something that you wanted to do and did it

When can we get a drive of it.........

seriously will you be bringing it to JAE could be fun

The best speed ive known a Nova to get using no (major) aerodynamic improvements is a proven 182 mph, so they can physicaly do it. However that did have twin 300 brake turbo lumps. It also acchieved a 2.8 sec 0-60. (do a search for regal twin engine nova, also known as boostbeast)

I could well be wrong about the top speed of 160, it was a broad guestimate. I have had the argument that its not possible for it to achieved the 140 (on barryboys many moons ago) however the 140 has been proven on GPS and thru gearing calcs so is spot on.

Have you weighed the car, or is this just a guesstimate? a bigger engine will add a lot of weight, and considering the Lotus Elise 111R which ways 700kg with 190bhp lightweight 1.8 engine is only 220bhp/tonne - I think you may be overestimating this performance claim.

Also, 6 seconds to 60 sounds pretty slow to me? Especially for 230/ton - but also since you claim its a supercar slayer? My 996 C2 was hardly a supercar and that was nearly a second quicker to 60, and with a top end at 175mph..

Car weighs in at 750 (on a public weigh bridge) dyno results show an (calcuated) 170 brake. works out at about 226/tonne.

6 seconds is mainly due to lack of grip, even with all the weight over the driven wheels, a FWD just wont get the power down.

if i could get a reading of 30-100mph im sure it would give a more impressive result.

Also when i stated it scared super cars. that was by no mean a claim it would beat or even keep up with them. but the limited times ive gone up against some serious metal, its the there attuude that they wont need to floor it, and when the suddenly realise they arent winning by as much as they should be is what suprises them.

You said that the engine is 143bhp - 20 more than standard. Now tell me I've misread or mistunderstood a crucial piece of information, but a Nova 1.2 Merit engine is never in a billion years 120bhp.

I'm keeping an open mind about performance claims, I'd have to see it to believe it, but then anyone that claims a Nova will see off an Impreza STI or 300bhp Cossie will understand that it's a huge claim and will understand people will be sceptical. If it will blow a Boxter S into the weeds, fair play. I haven't watched the videos, can't be bothered to wait for them to load as my internet is slow at the moment.

I love the fact you stripped it of 'non essential parts' but you left the Magic Tree on the dashboard!! (if that's what it is)

I think a lot of people are going to ask you to put your money where your mouth is so to speak. I for one will be more convinced about the performance if you bring it to a meet and prove it (obviously not on a public highway). I will only be 100% convinced about it's Impreza-beating abilities if you sit on the start line at Santa Pod with me driving the Impreza.

Good post, very brave but don't take it personally when people start trying to pick holes in it.

143 is at wheels, meaning 1bout 170 at fly, the standard 2.0 16v engine should produce 150. hence the 20 brake more. The 1.2 produces 55bhp!

Il happily take up any challenge at the pod or similar. Il race anything!

Car weighs in at 750 (on a public weigh bridge) dyno results show an (calcuated) 170 brake. works out at about 226/tonne.

6 seconds is mainly due to lack of grip, even with all the weight over the driven wheels, a FWD just wont get the power down.

if i could get a reading of 30-100mph im sure it would give a more impressive result.

Also when i stated it scared super cars. that was by no mean a claim it would beat or even keep up with them. but the limited times ive gone up against some serious metal, its the there attuude that they wont need to floor it, and when the suddenly realise they arent winning by as much as they should be is what suprises them.

143 is at wheels, meaning 1bout 170 at fly, the standard 2.0 16v engine should produce 150. hence the 20 brake more. The 1.2 produces 55bhp!

Fair enough. I didn't realise you'd taken the hairdryer motor out and put in a more powerful lump so I'll keep schtum.

For a Nova to do 182mph it would have required extensive aerodynamic changes - the standard shape would be inherently unstable and not displace air fast enough.

I'm sure loads of people could belittle your achivement, but I can't because I couldn't do what you've done so I sit at your feet in terms of performance modifying. Well done.

Fair enough. I didn't realise you'd taken the hairdryer motor out and put in a more powerful lump so I'll keep schtum.

For a Nova to do 182mph it would have required extensive aerodynamic changes - the standard shape would be inherently unstable and not displace air fast enough.

I'm sure loads of people could belittle your achivement, but I can't because I couldn't do what you've done so I sit at your feet in terms of performance modifying. Well done.

The Nova he's now talking about is an absolute monster, i see where ure coming from on the aerodyniamics point, but this thing must put down over 600bhp from TWO calibra turbo lumps - possibly the only Nova which demands respect, no questions asked!

This is the 182mph nova. Its well documented, theres vids on the net of it against a skyline and a few others here and there.

116_1700.jpg

The other thing to consider is that (not taking in to account time) the Nova has cost be way under £1000 to make. A basic 2.016v conversion could be done for under £500 if you do the work urself.

I must admit your Nova does look good and you can see alot of thought and hard work has gone into it so Congrats on that.

My mate is currently in the process of building a 2.0l clio sleeper!

He has some vids on youtube you might like to look at?

He crashes it a few months ago and has done alot more to it so he's now gonna be runnging 13's if he can get the power down!

(Cossie was running 380hp)

(His in-car 0-100)

Tom.

hats off to ya mate, wether its a Nova or a Lexus its no easy task swapping engines over for something completely different

what you say is exactly right !

my starlet runs a 179 at the hubs and weighs in around 750kg, so at something over 200 at the fly its about 250bhp/tonne (still a 1300cc :whistling: )

trying to achieve grip isnt the easiest job, standard the starlet is 0-60 in 6secs, doubt if it will ever get much below that

So who else is upto a race?

:winky: ....... :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links