Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Hgv Drivers Out There?

P4UL T

I am currently looking for a new career. I was thinking of getting my HGV 1 + 2.

But before I take the plunge I wanted to get some feedback as to what the job is like.

Thanks

Paul

i personally dont have any experience, however i do get talking alot with the delivery drivers we get, van/truck/lorry/articulate lorry. Alot of them dont actually like the company they work for as they get worked hard and treated like disposable gloves. finishing early afternoon is nice(cant always), but remember you need to wake up very early.

some say it doesnt leave much time for a social life as they get very tired

I was a drivers mate for a couple of years and loved it as the money then was quite good and the job itself was good, as your out and about, it all depends on who you work for if you can get in with a big company like Eddie Stobart then you get a lot of help and onward training which makes it a better life as the hours can be very long and sometimes you'll be away from home for some time which does play havoc with home life?

But it all depends on which type of driving you want to do ie, short haul/long haul/continental/ multi drop etc.

Have a look at the Eddie Stobart web site mate it gives you quite a bit of info about the job :D

i work for parcelforce/royal mail and last year i took my hgv class 2 on on the provision of doing my class 1 but due do a death in the family i dropped out and am still waiting for another chance to go again.one thing i will say is that with a class 1 hgv licence you will have a job for life cos theres always hgv drivers wanted where ever you go.places do differ a lot as to what there duties entail,like christian salvesern have to unload their own trailers and royal mail dont and like shake said theres all different times places start and finish.

you'll never know until you try it

I have what was known as a class 1 or now as a C+E (artics and below). I did the job doing truck night runs

from London to Birmingham, and also have experience of multi drop daytime driving.

It's hard graft most of the time, and the repetitive nature & traffic hassles means the job can be a bit gutty.

On the plus side you should always be able to find a job. Be aware most companies don't like hiring newly

qualified drivers on the big stuff, untill you have proved yourself as an accident free driver on something smaller

for a period of time first.

HI , I have a class 1 and like Wozza spent a couple of years shunting trailers too and fro from Dover docks , thats the way I earned experience to go Continental and to be honest its something , I believe you have to be born to do , I did it for 3 months and it drove me barmy , I hated every minute , although you do get to see some beautiful places , you never have time to enjoy them in full . My advice is to think about it carefully , think of your family that you will be away from and believe me your mind works overtime worrying what your birds up to on a Fri / Sat while your stuck in snow on The Mont Blanc , believe me its not good , I think some people are destined to be HGV drivers and you can earn good money and as Wozza says you will never be out of work if you have a class 1 . As far as I can remember doing U.K. only was'nt very well paid so Continental is where the bucks are . I finally called it a day when I was in London and waiting at lights to turn left , I was in the R/H lane so I could swing around and get the trailer round the corner , the lights turned green and I pulled off and checked my mirrors , all the traffic was waiting for me and then BANG , a bike courier who was reading his map and giving it a bit down the middle hit the side of the cab , I got out to check what had happened and there was claret everywhere , he had hit the step on my cab sort of sideways , his right foot was hanging off all bar a few ligaments and sinew , the guy was screaming

his lungs out . That was it , no more for me , nothing bigger than a Transit from now on .

Regards

Paul. :sick:

i've got mine but never really used it.

i got it like you to have a 'trade' at the time i didn't have one.

i'm in a similar job now driving a big mobile crane around europe so my life style is pretty much the same. i love it.

be aware tho that your class 1(c+e) is very hard compared to your class 2©. class 2 is just a big car and nothing like an artic, you will have to do both(i was lucky enough to pass just mu class 1).

as for the jobs themselves, they can be as different as chalk and cheese, the examples i've seen on here are nothing like the jobs i would personally go for. i imagine multidrop to be a nightmare!

the ompany who i work for employs a couple of hgv drivers(i do it very occassionally) and they have a good job and good pay. they know what they are loading as its the same thing usually(sections of crane!) but are gong to different places.

to make decent money you will have to have nights out and stay in the truck. you will either love it or hate it, its not something you can grow into.

the europe jobs are few now as the polish etc are so much cheaper they get all the work. there are jobs there but usually for experienced drivers.

the truck stops and trucks nowadays are very clean and nice enough places to stay overnight too.

you will work loooong hours, just because you can only work 8 hours on your tacho doesn't mean you'll only work 8 hours! you could be 3 hours waiting to load, drive 3 hours, wait another 2 to be tipped, drive half an hour, wait another 2 to be reloaded then drive another 5 hours!....or you could just drive 4 hours/45min break/drive 4 hours. all depends.

i always wanted to be a truck drive....i got into my job with a bit of luck and luckily i love it.....i would still go truck driving tho.

if you're willing to work you can earn good money.....realistically over £1k take home a week.

like all walks of life they are good and bad people/companys to work for.

it will be expensive to pass your LGV c+e(HGV 1) it cost me about £1k about 15 years ago! i did fail twice!

you will have to do 2 tests and two lots of lessons, i dont know if driving schools do a non-lgv c+e sort of thing?

also you will have to do a medical which is £100+ and you will need to do a theory test.

there is a lot to do and think about(as well as the points form others about family etc) but personally i say go for it, if you're like me you'll enjoy it.

good luck with whatever you decide

Matt

:shifty: I have got my class one licence, had it for 14 yr I think, it is fun to drive the big trucks but it all depends on what sort of work you want to do, I would not do multidrop as it is a ball ache, the type of work I have always enjoyed is tanker work, but you need your ADR cert to carry hazardous goods. Not all chemicals are classed has hazardous but most are, it is not a problem carrying all these nasty chemicals, you get all relevant paperwork sop you know what you are carrying etc. delivering chemicals is better as you normally deliver to one place then wash the trank reload then move to the next.. Very easy. I would not do Continental work if you have not got any experience driving trucks, stick to the UK it is big enough to see the scenery here..

I am trying to get back in to delivering fuel to the forecourt garages, even easier job. No hassles again but with this job they will not employ anyone without any tanker experience, at least 2 yrs.

If truck driving is what you want to do then go for it, but do not let the haulage companies take advantage of you with not having any experience. Just remember the roads are trerrible for driving trucks, cars will always carve you up, pull out in front of you etc etc. Car/van drivers have no respect for truck drivers, if it was not for the truck driver then how would you get your milk or bread etc.... everything is delivered by truck. Some people do not know how the stuff gets to the supermarkets etc

Hope it helps and if you want any more info just drop me a line :winky:

Hi,

I'm a class 2 Multi drop driver for a well known food-service company called 3663 and have been for just over a year now, it does make me wonder when I look at some of the slightly older people I work with and how miserable they seem....... will be like them one day? I hope not I do very much enjoy it and firmly believe a days work is what you make it,(choose your attitude)

anywhere between 10-30 drops per day so you just take the good with the bad,

For the 1st few months I did do some class 2 HIAB work I miss that dearly playing with big boys toys but unfortunately although its easy theres not much money to be made.

If your looking at 1 week fas-track courses I would be cautious of doing 1&2 back to back

Good Luck

Wow, I didnt expect so many replies.

Thanks for your help guys.

I love being out and about, love driving and am calm behind the wheel.

I have a couple of other things to chase up first before I spend all that cash, if they fail I will deffo take this up.

Thanks

Paul

you will work loooong hours, just because you can only work 8 hours on your tacho doesn't mean you'll only work 8 hours! you could be 3 hours waiting to load, drive 3 hours, wait another 2 to be tipped, drive half an hour, wait another 2 to be reloaded then drive another 5 hours!....or you could just drive 4 hours/45min break/drive 4 hours. all depends.

Almost right..just to be picky

The law states after 4 1/2 hours continuous driving you have to have a break of 45 mins, we used to take a 15 min break 3 times within this time but thats no longer allowed its: if you wish to split your break up it now has to be first no less than 15 mins and then 2nd break is no less than 30 mins and you must have a break(45 mins)within 6 hrs of working and you can work (driving) 10 hrs a day for 2 days a week, the laws are quite complex now especially with the new digital tachos.

There are lots of training schools out there,best thing is to look round and ask lots of q's, expect to pay around a grand to pass one option is to go with someone that does a guaranteed pass programme wherever you go you should have an assessment driving tuition for min 1/2 hour then they can tell what type of level of training you need.

These are very good: http://www.lgvjobs.com/sterling/?engine=ad...amp;match_type=

Thanks Scorps, they look good. How do you know of them?

Price is good too. Plus they are only half and hour away from mee too :)

Thats why i posted the link for you m8 as they are in your area, i know of a few people that have used them and passed first time.

What you need to know is what your going to do with the Class 1 or 2 i.e European,shunting, multi drop, nights out/days or general haulage the work is/can be quite varied.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links