Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Tv

Gord

Im getting new tv, ive had 42inch plasma for some yrs now with no problems at all :D

Now im thinking of getting 42ich lcd tv but not sure all the problems with lcd have been sorted (dead pixels) :question:

What you know or think :question: thanks for any help :D

personally I don't think you can beat a plasma for the bright rich and vivid colours- no LCD tv I've looked at ever seems to look as deep and the contrast just doesn't seem to be there.

I'd stick with plasma - but that's just me.

Plus the heat they give out saves you turning the fire on in winter ;0))

I've got 2 lcd tvs and never had a problem with any of them, good clean picture on both so quite happy with lcd :D

Plus is it true that you have to get plasma's re-gassed after a few years and that playing playstations etc, burn images on the screens of the plasma models? :unsure:

most the myths about plasma TVs are untrue - especially with newer technology and the lifetime of a plasma typically matches that of an LCD. Without any regassing

my son has a 42 plasma in his bedroom and is never off his playstation plus regularly forgets to switch it off- no problem with screen burn yet -

I've got 2 lcd tvs and never had a problem with any of them, good clean picture on both so quite happy with lcd :D

Plus is it true that you have to get plasma's re-gassed after a few years and that playing playstations etc, burn images on the screens of the plasma models? :unsure:

I do have 2 small lcd tv,s but i read somewhere that large screen lcd tv,s will not match large screen plasma, but that was about a year ago now.

And as ive said, ive had plasma for some yrs now with no problems, no re-gas or burn marks from the kids games, was just asking if large screen lcd tv,s have moved on, been looking in the shops and some lcd tv's look very good pic, over the plasma next to it, but in the next shop, the plasma looked lots better than the lcd :duh:

This is one of those arguments that could gone on. They are getting pretty much the same now but vary so much between manufacturer. The manufacturing techniques have changed so much.

Take your own small selections of DVD with you to the shop and you will see the difference. Plasma still take more power and are prone to screen burn but they have more protection methods built in now. A lot of manufacturers claim they won't be making plasma in five years, but they said the same five years previously.

I can't see you going for Thompson Gord as its French, not German but I'm sure they don't build their tellies like their cars!! Sorry Mat, they are only CEO in Gemany, although the guy who founded it was born in Manchester. I used to work for them many moons ago. Just before it Marconi, the defence side of things when the French government split it.

i have a 32" LCD and a 42" PLASMA.

Both made by LG.

Happy with both but the LCD does get the bedroom hot!

I thinl on fast moving things like sports and for deep blacks with fast colour response then its still plasma. But as geoffers said, its purely down to what looks best to you. Be carefull in the shop especially if its dixons as they hook some of there stuff up terrible and wont get a true comparisson.

I've got a 42" plasma too. I caught a glimpse of a news article today...not sure if it was in yesterdays paper or MSN today....about LCD's not being the recommended buy? Sorry I didn't read it so not sure, but think it was something to do with Plasma being better for HD???

Personally I think plama screens have the edge on picture quality, deeper blacks and more vivid colours, especially on the bigger sizes. The plasma screens have glass fronts, whereas if an LCD screen is scratched it's there for the life of the set.

Plasma screens are still quite expenisve to manufacture, and probably why manufacturers such as Sony, Sharp, & Toshiba have stopped making them and aim to spend more money on R&D to sort out the LCD probs...viewing angle, contrast, colour definition etc.

This is one of those arguments that could gone on. They are getting pretty much the same now but vary so much between manufacturer. The manufacturing techniques have changed so much.

Take your own small selections of DVD with you to the shop and you will see the difference. Plasma still take more power and are prone to screen burn but they have more protection methods built in now. A lot of manufacturers claim they won't be making plasma in five years, but they said the same five years previously.

I can't see you going for Thompson Gord as its French, not German but I'm sure they don't build their tellies like their cars!! Sorry Mat, they are only CEO in Gemany, although the guy who founded it was born in Manchester. I used to work for them many moons ago. Just before it Marconi, the defence side of things when the French government split it.

I can't see me going Thompson to, and that reminds me, i must change my bank :D or is it spanish :question: Abbey that is :duh:

I can't see you going for Thompson Gord as its French, not German but I'm sure they don't build their tellies like their cars!! Sorry Mat, they are only CEO in Gemany, although the guy who founded it was born in Manchester.

i can just see Mat`s tv flying through the window now :lol:

As a rule of thumb..

Up to a 37" go for LCD, anything over, go for plasma..

Screen burn is possible on a plasma, but it would take a long time.

There will never need to be a regas on a plasma as it is a sealed unit.

Contrast on a plasma is much higher (dark to light) and as such, black is a lot better.

LCD usually has a finer dot pitch, so the picture can be sharper on some sets.

lifetime on both types are around the same.. and is also around the same for an old CRT

Dead pixels are very possible on LCD, and up to about 7 would not be covered under warranty (it may even come with them)

Dead pixels on plasma are also possible but much rarer..

John

I can't see you going for Thompson Gord as its French, not German but I'm sure they don't build their tellies like their cars!! Sorry Mat, they are only CEO in Gemany, although the guy who founded it was born in Manchester.

i can just see Mat`s tv flying through the window now :lol:

dam right!!

suppose thats an advantage of going back to the fatherland.......ill be able to buy a new LCD(tax free)...thats not French!!

I still think plasma has the edge in terms of picture quality, and the Pioneers are untouchable. As above, regassing plasmas is a load of rubbish and has NEVER been true! Screen burn is still an issue though, we have one TV in the house that is pretty much always on one channel, and the logo can be faintly seen all the time now - not sure if it will go away but that is a downside if you watch the same channel a lot.

In terms of LCD there are only two that get close to the picture of plasma - and these are the latest top of the line ones from Sony and Samsung. These have the latest LCD panels in them that have a special coating on the surface on the screen - you can tell the difference as they have a shiny surface similar to plasma, instead of the normal matt finish LCD screens have.

For me, the only choices are the ones above, Pioneer for plasma, Sony or Samsung for LCD (if price is not a big issue), but you really have to see them with your own eyes as different people do like different things from the picture they see :)

i,ve been lookng for ages for a telly but still dont know which one to go for

i think the lcd 1080p tellys have got the best pic at the mo so i think i,ll go for one of them

OLEDs will be out next year. Contrast and colours are fantastic. Contrast can be as high as 1,000,000:1

Sony should have had theirs out by now but a few manufacturing glitches to get rid of first. Their first OLED 42" only takes 45w.

Not sure long term though as OLED dims over time, but they claim to have gotten over that. Can't see how though.

Ive got a 50" LG Plasma (wedding prezy from the boys) and its been running a year now without a hitch.

Cant complain at all, hasnt missed a beat. I know LG is not as good as some makes but I have been impressed by the quality so far.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links