Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

K&n Panel Filter In Is300

Just fitted a K&N panel filter in my 300 sportcross and had to take about 5mm of rubber from all 4 sides of the filter and hacksaw about 10mm from the strengthening bars top and bottom of the filter - to get it to fit. There was also some irreversable hacksawing to the Lex plastic cowl that holds everything in place too... Shocking to say that K&N describe themselves as the worlds best filter. Obviously the one they spec for the 300 also fits a few other cars too... and is a poor fit in the sportcross.

Lets hope their lifetime guarantee's good as I'll be keeping the filter for as long as I keep the car.

Also on the note of 'fun', I replace the 6 spark plugs over the weekend. The cars 6 years old and had the original plugs in it - not surprised as it's a bit of a job removing the throttle body etc to gain access to them. The Denso's were about £12 each so the equivalent (platinum) NGK went in at approx £3.50 each - good old eBay.

Cheers

jack

I've never had any problems with K&N panel filters. They have always been a perfect fit (Yaris, Focus, IS200). There are two types of panel filter for the IS300 it seems: maybe one doesnt fit well K33332170 & W0133-1614589 one has a bar and legs while the other is just a flat panel.

This one was (is) just a flat panel - when looking for it on the web I only came across one type for the sportcross - 2000 onwards. It was (is) similar to the Toyota filter that was in the car, just a bit bigger all round and not as thick.

...looks tidy and certainly fits like a glove after half an hour hacking at it...

Cheers

jack

does sound like the wrong filter was supplied mate. The K&N on my MK1 GS was a perfect fit but can see that if you tried to fit the MK1 filter to a MK2 GS you would have the same problems as you had. Like I said, sounds like they sent the wrong one for your IS300.

Ive just brought a K+N panel filter for my IS200 and that fits really well........

By the way does anyone know if when you fit the new filter do you have to reset the ecu so it gets the reading of air correct or will it just do it as per normal..on the move as it were. :whistling:

With a higher flowing K&N filter I would suggest resetting your ECU.

Make sure the ignition is turned off

Open the Bonnet

Remove the engine bay fuse box cover

Remove the 20Amp/25Amp EFI fuse

Remove the 15Amp ETCS fuse

Wait 30 seconds

Re-insert the two fuses

Install the fuse box cover

Close the Bonnet

With a higher flowing K&N filter I would suggest resetting your ECU.
Make sure the ignition is turned off

Open the Bonnet

Remove the engine bay fuse box cover

Remove the 20Amp/25Amp EFI fuse

Remove the 15Amp ETCS fuse

Wait 30 seconds

Re-insert the two fuses

Install the fuse box cover

Close the Bonnet

I thought that might be the case ......Thank you Wozza. :D

Sorry to crash your thread, but what sort of a difference does a K&N panel filter make? Would it be worth popping one in my LS430 or should I just leave the standard one in? What about MPG or BHP. Sorry for the questions.

Sorry to crash your thread, but what sort of a difference does a K&N panel filter make? Would it be worth popping one in my LS430 or should I just leave the standard one in? What about MPG or BHP. Sorry for the questions.

I've had roughly a 10% increase across the fuel consumption figures since I fitted mine. Not noticed any performance difference though.

The fuel consumption will increase with a performance filter as more air = more fuel. You may not have noticed any extra performance as the human brain can only notice differences of/over 10% and the 10% extra fuel is probably not giving you 10% extra performance. But on a 200BHP engine 10% difference would give you +20BHP increase and that would be a miracle from just a filter unless the breathing was awful in the 1st place. You also get better induction noise.

Minimal increases in performance and MPG. The engine is able breath easier, you would probably see more benefit if you also upgraded the exhaust. It saves you money has you don't have to keep purchasing new filters.

Well... you are all correct - it is the wrong filter.

I checked back through the numbers and K&N quote a 33-2170 for the IS300 and I'd found a supplier listing a K&N filter for the IS300 at about £10 cheaper than everywhere else (warning bells should have rung) so I bought it.

Fitted it with the aid of a knife as described as I'd had non OEM filters befire on previous cars that were not good fits.

So, I've now got a 33-2137 filter fitted rather snugly.

Turns out it's for a LS430 or a GS 400.

Cheers

jack

I've had roughly a 10% increase across the fuel consumption figures since I fitted mine. Not noticed any performance difference though.
The fuel consumption will increase with a performance filter as more air = more fuel.

Just realised my reply was a bit ambiguous. When I say increase, I mean better than before, so where I averaged 29-30mpg before on a motorway run, I now get 32-33 mpg.

• 9 months later...
Just fitted a K&N panel filter in my 300 sportcross and had to take about 5mm of rubber from all 4 sides of the filter and hacksaw about 10mm from the strengthening bars top and bottom of the filter - to get it to fit. There was also some irreversable hacksawing to the Lex plastic cowl that holds everything in place too... Shocking to say that K&N describe themselves as the worlds best filter. Obviously the one they spec for the 300 also fits a few other cars too... and is a poor fit in the sportcross.

Lets hope their lifetime guarantee's good as I'll be keeping the filter for as long as I keep the car.

Also on the note of 'fun', I replace the 6 spark plugs over the weekend. The cars 6 years old and had the original plugs in it - not surprised as it's a bit of a job removing the throttle body etc to gain access to them. The Denso's were about £12 each so the equivalent (platinum) NGK went in at approx £3.50 each - good old eBay.

Cheers

Jack

It is very obvious that you got the wrong filter. My IS300 use 33-2170 just so fit. Just drop it into the OEM air box together with the supporting frame. It take me only 30 sec to install.

You should complain to the shop who supplied it.

I also got a K&N filter for my IS300 about 2 years ago, I can't remember the part number but that would not fit the air box without cutting and hacking as described so I gave it up as a bad job and replaced the paper filter. We now have two different part numbers quoted in this post i.e 33-2170 and 33-2137. Which is the correct one?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links