Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Which Car Should I Choose

shake

choose a car  

12 members have voted

1. 1. cars

• Merc E320 CDI Estate
    • Zafira GSI

Hi folks,

Its almost time for the GS300 to go, if she doesnt sell on the bay she will go in part exchange. I've come up with two final choices...

either the merc:

car_photo_21190_7.jpg

or zafira gsi

zafira%20gsi%20turbo%20-%20used.jpg

I have driven them both and they are actually great cars, just cant decide between the two. i need big boot to lug stock around and with summer coming up i'll be needing alot of space. family cruiser is very important, and both come up the same on insurance and tax. the gsi is quick but unsettled, the cdi is just as brisk (just not on paper) and more stable...

what would you choose?

The Merc hands down, those two cars are completely different - if this is your main car, for me it would always have to be the Merc as it has to do everything...........and if you're pulling up to a fancy event, I'm not sure the vauxhall people carrier paints the right picture......... :shutit:

Even putting that aside though, despite current Mercedes issues, it's still got to be better made than the Vauxhall?

i may be biased as i drive a Zafira GSI

great all round car, fast and practical

easy to rearrange the seats and make a huge space in the back

it also pulls the starlet on the trailer with no problems

theres an electical issue with the mercs up until 2006 when they fixed it (apparently) mainly with the fancy extras like sat nav and phone system. luckily none of these are needed for me. im aiming for a 2003-2005 model

Out of the two I would go for the Merc.

Higher level of quality and probably better re-sale values.

Plus a Merc is higher on the status front but at the end of the day it is what suits your needs and budget best.

Happy motoring with whichever you choose.

Zafira GSI, had a Merc as a c/car once, not as nice as everyone saying.

hi Gord!

how long did you have the merc? i've more experience with the zafira but never had a merc before, nore do friends so dont know about the long run.

I just think the Merc looks really dated but then I have never been a fan of Mercs generally so I probably biased. The Zafira might not have the Merc badge but from what little I have read seems to be more fun to drive and I assume would be much cheaper run? Whats depreciation like on these?

I remember when Gord had a Merc as his courtesy car while his Silver IS200 was back with Lexus; think the said the autobox wasn't the smoothest.....

Anyway.......... I thought you were looking into an Aristo..... :question::whistling:

Anyway.......... I thought you were looking into an Aristo..... :question::whistling:

hahaha, theres only so much i can put into the GSboot and rear seats.

hi Gord!

how long did you have the merc? i've more experience with the zafira but never had a merc before, nore do friends so dont know about the long run.

Had the 180komperssor auto for about 2 weeks, was new ish to, the auto box was rubbish, not very smooth at all, not to bad on the inside/cabin, seats nice to sit in.

Only had short drive in a Zafira GSI, well it was vxr one really, fun to drive, lots of power, and then lots of room when you want to, more like a car to drive than i was expecting really. As i say i would have the Zafira GSI or VXR over the Merc, but thats just me :D

hi Gord!

We've had our 2005 CLS (an E-class in a different body) for just over 3 years now and except for a bizarre fault with the ESP that was fixed under warranty its been trouble free. I realise it's a reasonably serious problem, but didn't affect the car other than the ESP being off.

Other than that, the electrics have been fine, even the satnav, phone etc - the most vitally important thing when buying a used merc is full mercedes service history. I wouldn't touch one that doesn't have it, and I'd recommend you do the same as well.

Plus the Merc is rear wheel drive :whistling:

hi Gord!

We've had our 2005 CLS (an E-class in a different body) for just over 3 years now and except for a bizarre fault with the ESP that was fixed under warranty its been trouble free. I realise it's a reasonably serious problem, but didn't affect the car other than the ESP being off.

Other than that, the electrics have been fine, even the satnav, phone etc - the most vitally important thing when buying a used merc is full mercedes service history. I wouldn't touch one that doesn't have it, and I'd recommend you do the same as well.

Plus the Merc is rear wheel drive :whistling:

Manual or Auto ? if auto what you think of the auto gearbox ?

Manual or Auto ? if auto what you think of the auto gearbox ?

It's an auto, but if you drove a C180, it won't be the same box. Ours is a 350, so has the 7G tronic box in it, which is truly sublime.........

Having driven it side by side with an IS250, it's about the same in terms of smoothness (which are both brilliant) but I think the advantage is that the Merc will drop 2 or 3 gears in one step, whereas I couldn't make the Lexus do that, it would always drop down sequentially (but not sure if I just wasn't driving it properly :blush: )

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links