Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tory Think Tanks Suggests More People Should Move From The North To Th

maneesh

(These are not necessarily my own, I wanted to share this article as it's pretty extreme in it's proposal).

I read the article and these questions came to my mind:

Have the regeneration efforts really failed for Northern towns?

Is what the article is suggesting going to widen the already massive north-south divide?

Does the government (and the population) focus too much on London & South East when it comes to new jobs and opportunities?

How many Northerners would actually WANT to move down South for a job?

Some quotes from the article:

Cities including Liverpool, Bradford and Sunderland cannot be revived. And they have "little prospect of offering their residents the standard of living to which they aspire," according to David Cameron's favourite advisory group policy Exchange.

Written by Tim Leunig, of the London School of Economics, it chides richer Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle as being too weak to prop up poor relations Rochdale, Bradford and Sunderland.

It is particularly scathing of Sunderland of which it says: "It is time to stop pretending that there is a bright future for Sunderland and ask ourselves instead what we need to do to offer people in Sunderland better prospects."

The report calls for more houses in already overcrowded London and for Oxford and Cambridge to each built a million new homes.

Liverpool city council leader Warren Bradley said: "Even the report's authors said it was likely to be dismissed as barmy. It's the only thing they got right."

Abandon the North

There is me living in the "poor relation" Rochdale and regulary visiting the other poor relation Bradford. Wow didn't know it was so much better down South; but then amazinlgly the WIM meet was the furthest South I have ever been :blush: Too much greenery and not enough rubbish on the floor to add character :P

i think the UK needs to stop giving "aid" to countries which dont need it at all. parts of asia get billions a year for "aid" yet the country can afford to have nuclear arms? these countries should stop spending on stupid things they will never use and focus on their own country.

that money would be better spent on the UK! i really feel for Anees having to live in "The North" :tomato:

that money would be better spent on the UK! i really feel for Anees having to live in "The North" :tomato:

Thank you Shake. :) Its nice to have some support considering the difficult hardship I suffer living in the North...... :whistling:

so the think tank said to make 3 million more homes so people can move down...

who is going to make 3 million more job for those people...

personaly i dont think i could take a deluge of people desperate for jobs... that would make life very hard for those who already live down here... and basicaly it would fook up the south...

think what would happen to the benifits offices... would have to have supercentres made up... lol

BTW... i was born in liverpool in 1981.. moved down south in 1983.... and have never missed it. have to say my life would have been a lot worse off if i had stayed as there would have been little opertunity in the area that we lived (rainhill, mersyside) all the relitives who ever came down did nothing but whinge about prices of food/beer and how everyone drives like maniacs.. imagine that but times 3 million... suicide rates would go through the roof

I'm confused by this coming from the Tories which has got me a little worried, but I don't get how this could possibly help............first the eastern europeans, now northerners into London, sounds like paradise doesn't it? :crybaby:

I'm confused by this coming from the Tories which has got me a little worried, but I don't get how this could possibly help............first the eastern europeans, now northerners into London, sounds like paradise doesn't it? :crybaby:

my question is this.. is it a geographical problem.. or a geographicaly based attitude that stops growth and change..

from what i know of my relitives.. they all whinge and whine but dont change or adapt...

now i come from the same blood but have a different attitude... i say get rid of the cheap beer in the working mens clubs (how can they be called that when they drink from 11am till 11pm every day.. wheres the work) make it more expensive and they will work more..

Being serious for a moment........

I just wonder where these "THINK TANKS" come from? Do these people live in the real world or have real life experience?

In reference to Maneesh's original post, I personally would not want to move down South for a job. Wouldn't mind trying a different country however. When I first left University the majority of the Graduate Jobs in IT seemed to be based in the South. I just didn't want to do it and move down there. Would rather stay here....... have a cheaper cost of living and waste money on cars and mods :P

i can see where your coming from.. but its all proportionate... with regards to wages and house prices.. food and clothes etc..

it all depends on where you were brought up i suppose... i am absolutely nothing like my cousins etc.. they dont seem to want to explore the world or their boundaries.. they just want to work in a factory etc and just come home.. then go to the garden centre on a saturday and the pub on sunday.. thats their whole life..

the south is a really nice place.. agreed london is a bit scummy in places but so is the north... there are plenty of parts of the south that are nothing like london, but also suffer from lower wages etc... and also lower house prices..

this studdy seems to generalise too much that the south will offer a better life.. seem to remember something like that being broadcast on polish tv... about england..

how feasable would it to start building a southern version of hadrians wall?

just north of Milton Keynes :winky:

that far up.. to me thats the midlands..

i say start it at the bottom of the M1... and across from the seven to the essex coast.. get the registration spotting cameras and alert the police of incomming northeners heading for the wall.. lol

this studdy seems to generalise too much that the south will offer a better life..

You seem to be saying the same thing :unsure:

as in my personal circumstance?

well yes it did for me... but then as one family i dont think we made a slight ripple upon southern society... but if there had been 3 million of us then it would not have been good. we moved to take up a specific position/job.. and not just on a hope and a prayer..

the best thing to me about the south.. is that is because it has southerners in it... i know that sounds strange but its a way of life.. where as when i go back up north everthing is so different, the attitude etc.. i like it down here and dont want it to change.

I can really see a benefit to the country if people leave the North in droves to head to the overpopulated south areas.

Areas in the North with problems need more people and business to make more money from tax, not less!!

Look what happened to Detroit after the riots when all the people in the suburbs moved away to other states and cities. That really messed the place up good.

how feasable would it to start building a southern version of hadrians wall?

just north of Milton Keynes :winky:

Yer to keep you lot in :o

I have lived and worked in London (Archway/highgate) for 6yrs, back in the 80's, i have to say, most people that i worked/drunk with, was not even English :o

After reading the Don's comments I have decided that the North must be a complete ****hole to live in. I love the idea of the wall. Could all Northerners with any sense form an orderly queue towards the South. However since property prices will fall through the floor in the North - -I'll buy your houses for a £1 a go too, then when everyone realises that ACTUALLY ALL AREAS HAVE THEIR ISSUES and its not really much better down south and the property prices rise again in the North I'll be RICH.....RICH!! I can even buy an IS-F then! :lol:

<Cue Evil Laugh> :evil:

pinky_brain.gif

to be honest, having lived in.........

Manchester

kent

Hampshire

Dorset

Wiltshire

i found Manchester and the North, the most Friendly, and the place i liked living the most, Wiltshire and Dorset, great for the Rural atmosphere but Kent and Hampshire utter poop, full of arrogant selfish stuck up southern shandy drinking, ketchup eating poofs

to be honest, having lived in.........

Manchester

kent

Hampshire

Dorset

Wiltshire

i found Manchester and the North, the most Friendly, and the place i liked living the most, Wiltshire and Dorset, great for the Rural atmosphere but Kent and Hampshire utter poop, full of arrogant selfish stuck up southern shandy drinking, ketchup eating poofs

whats wrong with ketchup ?

Well I might aswell stick up for us northerners and say no thank you to moving down south.... lived there and did not like it. It's like a bleeding rat race down there. no time to chill and when you can you can't afford it as it is a fiver for a pint and when you get it it is warm!!!!!

but it can have it's good points..........................Hmm!!!! can't think of any at the moment...

A question.........Why do people down south alway's slate northerners????? just curious to find a reason why they do it.. Not all of em do by the way before you start with that one.. Is it jealousy? :whistling: Good cheap beer, sorta cheap houses, and grand countryside. :shutit:

The good old north south divide... always there and never to go away.

The government should evenly distribute the cash instead of trying to inject it into something that will never happen. Give me a little and I could put it to good use. :shifty: My Stella fridge is nearly empty!!! B)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links