Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What Is Going On?

bakili

The £999 model V reg may well have something fairly major wrong with it, e.g. expensive work that needs doing. So don't panic :)

Prices have been hit hard by the upcoming tax changes, and now with the credit crunch that'll affect things further.

Bear in mind that prices only affect you when you come to sell. So if you're keeping your car for a while then the price won't be affecting you. And even then lower prices would mean it's cheaper to buy a replacement car. Just enjoy your Lexus ! :D

iv had 4 is200s the first 1 i got was a v reg se with 90k paid 6500 in 2005

second was a x reg sport 66k £5800 in 2006

third was another sport late 2007 £5300 58k

and this 1 iv got now 2001 sport 43k 6k for it

so iv lost silly money but for the money u will not get a beter car with all the extras

Not just IS200's dropping all big engined (petrol) cars are going the same way.

We are being forced into 1.4 or smaller engined cars (through VED tax changes, petrol costs/rises, congestion charging and now the credit crunch)

I say if you can afford to run your IS200 then run it, when it becomes uneconmical to run (eg: MOT failure), then bin it- that's my plan.

Look at it this way- OK I admit the IS200 has higher than average running costs (fuel, tax- if you have a post 1st March 2001 car, insurance etc), but at least it is a reliable car, you are not forking out on massive repairs bills. The only time I see my local garage is twice a year- service time and when I need an MOT, if I had a similar aged Ford/Vauxhall/BMW/Merc (my IS200 is almost 8 years old now), I'd be on first name terms with my local garage by now.

In fact, I do most things myself now, such as oil/oil filter changes, changing sparks, changing brake pads etc- so I'm saving even more money by doing simple jobs like these myself.

05 plates at around £5,000 :o

On Autotrader? I can't find anything like that. When I bought my 54 Sport in July it was the cheapest on there at £7995.

But I agree it's very hard to sell large engined cars at the moment so prices are dropping low.

Thing is though - how much will they recover if the Govt do back down on this retrospective tax nonsense, or they get booted out of office at the next election. I can't see car prices going back up that much!

05 plates at around £5,000 :o

On Autotrader? I can't find anything like that. When I bought my 54 Sport in July it was the cheapest on there at £7995.

Wasn't that (the "£5,000" car) the one where the posting was a little bit misleading and the poster implied he'd paid just that, but actually he'd traded in another car too, so that was the extra he had to pay to change, not the price of what he'd bought ?

hmm I was quoted by a car importer that if I was to part ex my IS they quoted me £4k which meant I would have stood to loose £1800 in month lol, I know part ex i'm always likely to see less than what it's worth so I wouldn't worry.

As the guys have said vreg low mileage under 1k i highly doubt it, unless it's hot or has a body in the boot?

i think I have probably lost £1000 in 6 months of ownership, however any other car I'd want to replace it with have also dropped in price so its all relative really.

all i will say though is that my IS has been the only car I've had where nothing has gone wrong, so far all its cost me in essential parts is a sat nav update disk and a pair of wiper blades. goes to prove that its worth paying a little extra for a solid car with a full serice history. even though there are cheap examples around i wouldnt trust one that looked like it had been abused or had anything other than a full service history.

Not just IS200's dropping all big engined (petrol) cars are going the same way.

We are being forced into 1.4 or smaller engined cars (through VED tax changes, petrol costs/rises, congestion charging and now the credit crunch)

I say if you can afford to run your IS200 then run it, when it becomes uneconmical to run (eg: MOT failure), then bin it- that's my plan.

Look at it this way- OK I admit the IS200 has higher than average running costs (fuel, tax- if you have a post 1st March 2001 car, insurance etc), but at least it is a reliable car, you are not forking out on massive repairs bills. The only time I see my local garage is twice a year- service time and when I need an MOT, if I had a similar aged Ford/Vauxhall/BMW/Merc (my IS200 is almost 8 years old now), I'd be on first name terms with my local garage by now.

In fact, I do most things myself now, such as oil/oil filter changes, changing sparks, changing brake pads etc- so I'm saving even more money by doing simple jobs like these myself.

I agree you with you Kam I see my IS as cheap motoring, do the services myself which is about £30-50 a pop every 10k miles. MOT £40 a year, tyres every 30k. Although it may drink fuel a bit more its one of the cheapest cars I have run, and the IS has the biggest engine out of the cars I have owned. Had it five years now with 140k on the clock, not worth changing as nothing touches its reliability. Any other car sure I would have had some big bills by now.

i bought my 2002 is200 se in aug 2007 with 58K on clock for £4200, just sold in aug 2008 with 72K on clock for £3600, i think i didnt lose out too much considering the amount a drove it not forgetting racing the **** out of it!!! (you might of seen my vid on youtube ;) lol) well i had my days with it and must admit it must be the best drive iv had so far and by far! now im on a passat tdi 150 bhp lots more torque and very economical :)

• 2 weeks later...
i bought my 2002 is200 se in aug 2007 with 58K on clock for £4200, just sold in aug 2008 with 72K on clock for £3600, i think i didnt lose out too much considering the amount a drove it not forgetting racing the **** out of it!!! (you might of seen my vid on youtube ;) lol) well i had my days with it and must admit it must be the best drive iv had so far and by far! now im on a passat tdi 150 bhp lots more torque and very economical :)

There are 2 cars in our house. Lexus IS200 and MAZDA 6MPS. Whilst the MAZDA is in a different league the LEXUS (2001) is very reliable and looks fabulous. I can't think of a single car on a Y plate that is better value for money to a used buyer. It is also amazingly easy to park being compact and with a tight turning circle. So whilst IS200.s are taking a hit, I shudder to think what is happening to the rest of the market in 1800cc + petrol cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links