Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Puddle Lights On Cars

aido

Just wondered what the thoughts on here on the puddle lamps you can get from Japan are for that VIP look?

I've been toying with the idea of them for about 4 years now and still can't make my mind up on them.

Done right they look great IMHO - but looking at all the pics on the net it's a lot easier to get it wrong in which case they look awful! Also I can't quite figure out whether they should sit in the same boat as neons and basically be a great big no!

Some pics in case you've never heard of them:

img0477oc4.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

VIPGS-1.jpg

Have to admit I like them - but don't want to go and install something that is chavtastic :lol:

They are a bit chavvy in my opinion but TBH i'd prefer plain Neons in the right place and time (at night at a show, not during the day on the road)

When you said puddle lights i thought you meant the lights that light the pavement for you when you open the door on some new cars.

Stav

It's the chavvy bit that worries me cheers pal :lol:

I think these were fitted to the Brabus Mercs exactly for that reason - light up the ground so you don't step in any puddles or dogcrap and then they started fitting them to the wingmirrors and in one car it looks like at the bottom of the door frame too!

Just wondered what the thoughts on here on the puddle lamps you can get from Japan are for that VIP look?

I've been toying with the idea of them for about 4 years now and still can't make my mind up on them.

Done right they look great IMHO - but looking at all the pics on the net it's a lot easier to get it wrong in which case they look awful! Also I can't quite figure out whether they should sit in the same boat as neons and basically be a great big no!

Some pics in case you've never heard of them:

img0477oc4.jpg

IMG_1823.jpg

VIPGS-1.jpg

Have to admit I like them - but don't want to go and install something that is chavtastic :lol:

:yack: :yack: :yack: :yack: unless you have a Nova :excl: :excl:

:lol:

Looks like I just saved 60 quid then :)

One of the other things worrying me was that if they're just stuck to the side then at some point the car is bound to get jacked up somewhere that doesn't know the car and crush - that's one dead :lol:

:lol:

Looks like I just saved 60 quid then :)

One of the other things worrying me was that if they're just stuck to the side then at some point the car is bound to get jacked up somewhere that doesn't know the car and crush - that's one dead :lol:

Just get it jacked up 5 times, then all is good again :lol:

I like them, as long as they're used only as puddle lights - as in they only come on when you unlock the car, or open the doors............

I've actually been trying to convince my dad to get the brabus sills on our CLS but he's having none of it :lol:

Yeah if I did get them mate they'd be wired into the interior lights so that they slowly light up and power down same as the interior does - no way would I drive with them on :lol:

Going to leave it and see I reckon for now, got a trip coming up in March will be my first weekend back on the beer in months so might as well save 60 quid towards that the way the Euro has risen against the pound, it'll be £6 a pint :(

For puddle lights, I think they should be hidden and only shine in a set area.

TBH mate, they do look chavvy.

You might as well go the whole hog and stick these to your doors. They even with passive sensors for other people too: :lol:

puddle.JPG

PMSL, that would be ace :D

I might have a problem starting the car though as the Battery would last about 10 secs with those badboys :D

Think it's safe to say I'll leave the puddle lights to the Japs and Americans :o

Maybe I should fit a laser, you keep reading about sharks fitted with lasers on the net, what about cars with lasers :lol: If someone cuts me up I can just cut their roof off :o

Saying that I got one of those they banned on eBay recently, and tried that once when driving home late at night, bloody hell it went for miles - must have looked like I was getting beamed up if anyone saw it!

Yeah if I did get them mate they'd be wired into the interior lights so that they slowly light up and power down same as the interior does - no way would I drive with them on :lol:

Going to leave it and see I reckon for now, got a trip coming up in March will be my first weekend back on the beer in months so might as well save 60 quid towards that the way the Euro has risen against the pound, it'll be £6 a pint :(

I agree....look fine - and useful in wet U.K. -if attached to interiors.

Take it easy Aido! (And £6 a pint is cheap....in Iceland!)

I fancy a 9K Euros pair of handcrafted speakers from France...last year that was only £5K, now @ £8.75K!! But, then again. House prices in Spain have plummeted! Life in the sun anyone?

Concensus within the industry is your need both types of "puddle lights" for them to be effective....ie, downlight from the door mirror or handle to illuminate upon approach and a door sill light for egress from the vehicle. But of course then its twice the complexity and on-cost.

As for those in the piccy....ouch....basildon chav Nova territory!

If you want to DIY a set, buy a strip of LED's from Maplin and fix to the underside of the door, wire them into the interior lighting then at least they will look professional and do the job properly.

Best regards David

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links