Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tyre Woes

You could always go for a cheap brand. :o

I've just put Khumo 712s on my car :iraqi-info-minister: and I've been impressed with them. I thought I'd regret it as I'd heard some very bad reports from other members but I had to get some cheap tyres so I could afford the alloys. I think the tyres themselves must have been about £75 inc vat, balancing etc

Combined with going from 16 x 6.5 wheels to 17 x 7 I've noticed less tyre wall movement when I push it really hard round a bend and better traction in both the dry and wet. Road noise and comfort is possibly a bit better that the yokohamas I had before too. Not sure how much of this is the difference in wheel size though. :unsure: I wait to see how hard wearing they'll be....

Ok you can all flame me now... :ph34r:

Well, if they're going to flame you they may as well go for me too....!!!

My tyres are paid for by the lease company, but I had to take the car to Kwik Fit to be done which initially I wasn't happy about. I got Dunlop SP6000's and from what I can remember they worked out about £119ish a tyre. I'll see if I can dig out the original receipts, I remember being pleasantly surprised by the cost and the service

and having 2 of a different make?

I did have probs mixing pirellis and yokos a while back

what about budget tyres?

See my post above on budget tyres but don't blame me....etc...

Yea - new pirellis on the front and old yokos on the back. The car kept feeling like it was revolving about it's centre point with the rear moving left and the front moving right. Dealer told me it couldn't be the tyres and they'd tried the tracking a couple of times but I ditched the pirellis, bought some more yokos and got them to have another go at the tracking and all was well. Don't really know if it was the tyres or the tracking really but at least it sorted it.

what about budget tyres?

I wouldn't consdier using budget tyres.

I chose the dunlops because the car was already fitted with them, I knew their limits, and I was happy with the performance of the tyres.

If you buy budget tyres, more than likely, grip will decrease, and road noise will increase.

I know somewhere there is a spreadsheet explaining the differences between different tyres, such as wear, noise etc...

I've heard Yoko's are good, but wear out quickly.

Just my 2 cents.,..

I've got Yoko's on my 16" rims and after nearly 20k miles they are like new. (have a good looking tread pattern as well). Even had a puncture over the weekend (bolt left in the road) which Mini Max on School Lane Stockport fixed for £12. A LOT cheaper than a new tyre.

Went to Kwik Fit first and they saw the car and said "Can you wait 15 minutes?" they were really busy.. NOT!, so I went.

This place does Toyo Proxes T1-S at £82.50

but the crappy web site does not like me trying to show you the actual search or the product page :angry:

they have cheaper ones - but part of me really does not want to encourage you to scrimp on tyres ( :sad: ) - but I have heard people praise these tyres as being really good

I was very impressed with www.mytyres.net

I got 2x 225/40/18's and 2x 235/40/18's Toyo Proxes T1S delivered for £450

No-one in the UK could get anywhere near them for price. I know you have to pay to have them fitted, but that only cost me £24 for the set

The Toyo's are the best tyres I have ever had by far, there is no comparrison between them and the Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's that were fitted from new

The yokos are good in the dry and poor in the wet.

I've got Yoko's on my 16" rims and after nearly 20k miles they are like new.

Errr I guess I drive a little more progressively - mine only lasted about 10k on my 16" wheels. :blush:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links