Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I would honestly rather have a late, low mileage, mint condition LS400 than anything more recent that cost twice as much to buy. New cars don't interest me like they used to. Which I suppose is where the problem is - what do we replace our LSs with, when the time comes?

We might be of a generation that will be able to update / buy something for modern day driving and economy AND keep our LS400s too.

I don't see any reason to dispel the certainty ( not myth ) that the LS will go on forever !!!

It's such a wonderfully classic design and style and with the comfort of the very best, and reliability that other manufacturers can only ever HOPE to emulate.

Malc

Thanks for that info Manc.

Well everyone, I've done it!! I've bought a 1995 Mk.1 from a guy in Melton Mowbray. Pick it up tomorrow. It was advertised in the Autotrader, 92,000 miles 1 owner, full service history, MOT till Nov. the owner died in December and the son-in-law is administrating the estate, so no normal reason for sale!

It looks pretty much perfect to me. looked at the servicing and seems to me no expense spared. 1 fault, the bonnet rams need replacing, don't think the old boy ever opened the bonnet. if someone could point me in the right direction please - thanks. Everything worked, no dash problems. I had a good feeling about this car, hope I'm not wrong.

A '96 with 56K only??? are you sure.. is it the digital dash with the flashing syndrome? it could have been replaced.... mine was fixed and kept the mileage, but a replacement would be zero miles...

I believe the flashing dash was fixed after a certain model - you'd have to check.

I've got a '93, its done 220K (without a proper service in 3 years!!) and is running very well.

My dad had it before me and he bought it off the owner from new.... its NEVER broken down in its life..... 18years that is!!! Thats amazing... and says its one of the finest engines ever built - they use them for racing apparently

but the LS still has some faults....

The typical issues are:-

suspension (control arms front upper & lower), and eventually the rear ones - only the front lowers are less than £100 each (just)

exhaust EGR pipe (emissions)

Exhaust gaskets (£30 fitted)

Flickering dash (around £120 p+p)

Bonnet struts

P/s leaks (can cause alternator then battery issues if not fixed) - less than £5 if d.i.y.

rusty loose heat shields under the car (these rattle and is embarrasing at traffic lights)

Sticking brake calipers

brake pipes cracking (£30 d.i.y)

Erratic, jumpy engine when pulling away (usually blocked throttle body - 2hrs & £5 d.i.y.)

Faulty window switches

Faulty door locking

Tatty wheels

All i can think of for now

Most of the above are normal wear & tear issues that every car suffers.... I spent £1000 on the car and in the 6 yrs i've owned it i have prob spent another £2000 on all the above inc. fitting & tyres etc.....

not bad for owning a luxury motor..... i've not got around to the window/door switches yet, but are on this years list along with a new aerial.... but these are cosmetics and not mechanical

Fuel is becoming an issue, but it averages upto 30mpg, and with working a 4 day shift and another regular 100mile round trip - it only costs me £40 week fuel - minimum that is!!! - the tank is a large 75L and takes upto £100 with todays prices. If you do a lot of local driving it will cost you, but motorways & country lanes...well.. it just loves them.... 300miles on country lanes costs me around £65, a trip from M/cr to Sth London and back cost me around the same (that was when fuel was £1 per Ltr!! and i had qtr of a tank left) - thats cheaper than a transit van...

but it prob costs a fiver every time your missus wants you to go to the shops down the road...

These cars are extremely well built and the ride is amazing, the refined comfort is second only to Bentley & Rolls Royce (in my opinion!!), and it has enough power when its needed, i love the feel of it from the second you close the door and i get all defensive when i watch top gear ( i like the guy, but dont listen to Jeremy Clarkson - most of his choices are way out of the average mans budget) and besides, in his dream world, we'd show him up anyway by owning the LFA

Enjoy your LS if you get one, i recommend one to anybody who even looks at my car for more than a second, and if they ask me about it... i'm stood there in the street with a stranger for 20 mins going on about them.....

buy one.. but try to make sure its had the dash & control arms done - it then shouldn't cost you much afterwards....

Its desicion time for me... it will cost me money again the next few months.. brake discs & pads all round, tyres, lower susp arms, some corrosion doctoring underneath to maintian its life, some paint chip remedial work, window switches, aerial, wheels...etc ....

prob cost me another £1000, but do you know what.... im gonna do it, i cant swap it for another similar value car...what would i get in place of what i have now... nothing anywhere near the quality......

Enjoy

Well done Banjo.

Be warned though, it's a life time commitment :)

Even if you sell it (like I have done) you keep going back :) (which I ave done too)

Banjo,

Welcome to the world of LS ownership. I'm sure it'll be a great car and it's a move you'll never regret.

Thanks

Mike

Ditto!

And I just thought I'd mention this.

I parked my 93 LS in a fairly tight spot at a customers house yesterday and she said: "I don't suppose it's got power steering has it?"!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

I paid £1750, it was advertised at £1950. I haggled a little because of the bonnet rams needing replacing. Must get some replacements, won't look too cool propping the bonnet up with a broom handle methinks!!

I paid £1750, it was advertised at £1950. I haggled a little because of the bonnet rams needing replacing. Must get some replacements, won't look too cool propping the bonnet up with a broom handle methinks!!

My first LS came equipped with broom stick in the boot cause of this :)

Sounds like you've got a good LS400 there and a genuine reason for sale is always good. My LS400 is the same yaer as yours with around 80000 miles on it now.

I have just done my bonnet struts literally yesterday. I phoned Lexus for a price on these but they wanted £220 for a pair!! I then ordered a pair from strutsdirect.co.uk for £37.78 delivered. When I tried to fit them I found that the attachment that fits them to the main wing of the car was way too small,my original attachments are 65mm long but the ones they provided were only 30mm long! They were very helpfull and sent me 3 different fittings but none of them would fit-they have apparently sold many struts for LS400's without any problem but seem to think mine has alarge and unusual fitting?? They gave me a full refund easily.

Anyway, I then sent my original struts to sgs-engineering.com to have them re-gassed at a price of £38.74 fully inclusive. Unfortunately they said my seals were leaking/damaged and couldn't be re-gassed so I ended buying a new pair from them for £79.54 and they put the fittings from my original struts onto their new ones. I fitted them yesterday and now my bonnet is working perfectly again.

So I would say your best bet is to send your struts to sgs engineering and hopefully yours can be re-gassed.

Enjoy the car..

Hi Banjo

Well done, you got a good deal there with a very clean car. I'm looking to buy an LS400 as well and I saw that one and like you 'felt it was going to be a good one'. I was just not able to get myself to Melton Mowbray quick enough! Really happy that it was sold by a private seller and bought by you, a private buyer. So many around at the moment are for sale by traders. I saw one LS400 sold by a trader on eBay for £2250 just to reappear by another trader who bought it (polished it up) and had it up on eBay for £3999!!! And it sold in a week!!! I just don't trust 'em! Ever since I sold my girlfiends Polo with 110,000 on the clock to a trader, just to see it back on the forecourt 2 weeks later with 70,000 on the clock! That was back in the early 90's mind. It's less easy to get away with this now as you can check the mileage online with the MOT history.

I drove 520 miles round trip last week :whistling: to see one for sale by a trader in Chester. It's on eBay, autotrader, everywhere! It's a Blue MKIV £2999 2 owners and only 91,000 miles (was £3500) Sounds great huh? Well... got there to find the ATF was really dirty (supposed to have had full LEXUS SH), Air bag light on and flashing, Telescopic motor gone on the steering wheel, odd tyres on front wheels one with uneven wear, only 1 key with remote (said two on the advert... apparently they have lost it!) a lot of corrosion on the rear suspensions arms. And that's just the stuff I could spot... you always find more when you get them home! They started knocking money off straight away and by the time I was leaving they had dropped the price to £2500... but the more they dropped the price, the less I wanted it if you know what I mean.

It's actually not a bad deal at £2500, but it just didn't all add up to me. I'm not too fussy, a good MKIII or MKIV, but the car is going to have to have that right blend of history, price, honest seller, etc etc. My search continues. I will not be giving up having test driven a few now... I MUST get one :P. I thought my V6 Camry was smooth.... these are another league!

Sorry if any traders reading this feel offended... I know there are some good ones out there. :winky:

Stupot

I picked it up today from Melton Mowbray and drove the 83 miles back to where I live. What an absolutely lovely car, just whispers along at 80 - 90 with complete stability. I'm very pleased.

Been looking at the service history in detail, no expense spared. The Lexus dealer said that the bonnet support struts were weak and needed replacing - £258.72 was quoted!

Thanks for the info on that one Andycheltenham1, will do what you suggest.

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments Gents, much appreciated.

I picked it up today from Melton Mowbray and drove the 83 miles back to where I live. What an absolutely lovely car, just whispers along at 80 - 90 with complete stability. I'm very pleased.

Been looking at the service history in detail, no expense spared. The Lexus dealer said that the bonnet support struts were weak and needed replacing - £258.72 was quoted!

Good Stuff and congrats :)

enjoy

Hi. I bought my new struts off fleabay this time last year. £52.50 inc postage

Seller: car_chrome

Seller Information: M IQBAL

BEDFORD, Bedfordshire MK40 4JD United Kingdom

I did the same.

Only took 15 mins with a small tea break to change them. Enjoy your LS 400. I live in Hampshire myself so I will look out for you.

Regards Mike

Mike,

I ordered them today from this guy. Thanks.

The only time I get to go in mine now is when the missus needs it filling with LPG. She is scared to do it herself. I have no idea what mileage is on it and dont bother looking. I serviced it first week in Jan and it probably will need a new Battery soon. Its a MK 1V DHP which seduced me when I first drove it. I swear if it hadn't been offered to me, I would have quite happily grown old with my MK 1 GS sport.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links