Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk3 Weird Electrics Phenomenon

Hi everyone, never had this before and would like your thoughts please.

Yesterday after an hours motorway driving eneded in a high street queue with lights and all blazing coz of the damp darkish weather.

Crawling along and then all of a sudden, dash lights vanish together with the power steering and not sure what else .......... was in a bit of a shock to say the least.

No indicators but managed to pull into a supermarket carpark and park ok.

Turned all off, left for a minute and re-started absolutely fine.

Running all day short trips, longest 40 miles and with headlights and heater and everything going and absolutely fine.......... as usual.

Any thoughts on what may have caused the blip or what I might do to check to ensure I don't experience this heart attack rending phenomenon ever again ?

Malc

The engine never stopped in that time and now I remember, the radio was still working and I turned it off to save wasting power if that was going to be an issue too.

The only lights to carry on ok working was the clock.

Malc

I would check the Battery terminals and the clamp connections for tightness. It only takes a few minutes to remove,clean,apply copper grease and refit them with a 10mm spanner being careful not to overtighten them.

Make sure you have your radio code before disconnecting or fit a back up supply.

Also have a look inside your engine bay fuse box for signs of loose or corroded connections or damp.

Yesterday after an hours motorway driving eneded in a high street queue with lights and all blazing coz of the damp darkish weather.

Crawling along and then all of a sudden, dash lights vanish together with the power steering and not sure what else .......... was in a bit of a shock to say the least.

Running all day short trips, longest 40 miles and with headlights and heater and everything going and absolutely fine.......... as usual.

Any thoughts on what may have caused the blip or what I might do to check to ensure I don't experience this heart attack rending phenomenon ever again ?

Malc

There is a voltage regulator that is built into the alternator if the Battery is charged up to its limit the voltage regulator should stop charging the Battery and does this automatically,if it is not fuctioning properly and the Battery is getting overcharged the curcuit relays should protect the system that is what they are there for.

It looks like the curcuits that are vunerable to voltage spikes like the lights and the power steering are the first to go. If the engine is then stopped and started again the voltage that is used to start the car will take some time to build up again in the Battery and if you are doing short journeys constantly the Battery will not overcharge .

I suggest you get both the alternator and Battery checked.

One dipped headlamp blown I notice and the car is booked into my service guy for tomorrow to have the alternator and Battery and whatever else checked out to try to make sure it's an isolated issue.

He'd never heard of the likes before and thinks it might have gone into " safe " mode to protect itself momentarily.

Tell you more later.

Malc

Update ..... all checked and all seemingly OK.

New headlight bulb £4, a tenner to include the labour / checks ..... ( original ? Japanese bulb at 126000 miles and 16 years, not bad I suppose ! )

Let's hope I don't ever have to replace another bulb ...... where's the promised and expected longevity I ask !!

Malc

Happened again today, heavy electrical load in the fog and mist BUT I just wiggled the key gently and hey presto ....... full illuminations again !

That's the simple answer then I guess.

Malc

Malc

There is a voltage regulator that is built into the alternator if the Battery is charged up to its limit the voltage regulator should stop charging the Battery and does this automatically,if it is not fuctioning properly and the Battery is getting overcharged the curcuit relays should protect the system that is what they are there for.

It looks like the curcuits that are vunerable to voltage spikes like the lights and the power steering are the first to go. If the engine is then stopped and started again the voltage that is used to start the car will take some time to build up again in the Battery and if you are doing short journeys constantly the Battery will not overcharge .

I suggest you get both the alternator and Battery checked.

I have a thread of my own on this very issue, i have replied here as one comment stands out.

if it is not fuctioning properly and the Battery is getting overcharged the curcuit relays should protect the system that is what they are there for

The last time mine did this i did not have the stereo on, i heard a click from the area of the console, where the gear selector is situated, i cannot guarentee this location though, i didn't hear any click when i touched the keys and all the dash lit back up again.

Maybe we are getting close to solving this little enigma.

Happened again today, heavy electrical load in the fog and mist BUT I just wiggled the key gently and hey presto ....... full illuminations again !

That's the simple answer then I guess.

Malc

Hi Malc,

glad to hear you are still enjoying the LS :) I must admit I am thinking about getting another as I do miss her and bugger the fuel cost!!

Anyway, I wonder if it is something as simple as the ignition switch contacts getting worn and not connecting properly? an old Volvo I had did exactly the same thing, replaced the ignition switch and all ok :)

Andy

Andy hi, thanks for that.

Can't imagine why you sold the dear old lady in the first place !!! Wot a lovely car to drive.

I wouldn't be without one all the while I don't mind stopping at the petrol station and emptying my wallet periodically :tomato:

The ignition contacts then, well, if it happens too often I might just do something about it, otherwise my fingers can manage the occasional " wiggle ".

Malc

I wouldn't wait for the next time, because then it will likely just leave you in the middle of nowhere with a dead car.

Get that barrel replaced lad.

Probably the switch not the barrel :)

Andy

OMG ............... I'd better get my skates on then !

Is it really that desperate do you think or is it just a bit of " doom " mongering. :excl:

Malc

It is one of those "will it wont it" scenarios, it could fail tomorrow or go on forever but for peace of mind I would get it done, a switch is £67.25 + vat plus fitting.

Andy

I have purchased a new ignition switch of that popular site for £12 - i hope it is the right one!

i will attempt to fit in next week weather permitting - only time will tell wether the fault has got fixed as mine only occures once in a blue moon

If anybody has any pointers on how to dismantle steering column and fit the part then please let me know

I have purchased a new ignition switch of that popular site for £12 - i hope it is the right one!

i will attempt to fit in next week weather permitting - only time will tell wether the fault has got fixed as mine only occures once in a blue moon

If anybody has any pointers on how to dismantle steering column and fit the part then please let me know

I will wait with baited breath for the outcome of your test, hope it works, if it does then i can try the same fix :)

Can you send me a link to the switch you purchased for reference.

As in.....? WD40?

Or, as a hi-fi fan, cleaning contacts?

Come on Chris as a true Hi-Fi fan it's got to be Servisol contact cleaner :D . I remember in the 70's (yes I'm old!) some contact cleaner that wasn't plastic friendly,we used to dissolve polystyene with it for fun!

Didn't matter then as TVs had real wood cabinets!

Those were the days when a customer had a crackly volume control,pull the knob off and with the flexible spout squirt the stuff inside,give it a few turns back and forth and get home early!

You will need to remove the trim/cowling around the steering wheel,some screws will be behind the steering wheel but can normally be accessed by turning the wheel to expose them.

The ignition switch is fastened to the lock with 2 screws and is plug and socket connections.

As in.....? WD40?

Or, as a hi-fi fan, cleaning contacts?

Come on Chris as a true Hi-Fi fan it's got to be Servisol contact cleaner :D . I remember in the 70's (yes I'm old!) some contact cleaner that wasn't plastic friendly,we used to dissolve polystyene with it for fun!

Didn't matter then as TVs had real wood cabinets!

Those were the days when a customer had a crackly volume control,pull the knob off and with the flexible spout squirt the stuff inside,give it a few turns back and forth and get home early!

There were quite a few overpriced solutions available. Probably all Isopropyl alcohol?

• 3 months later...

Just an update

the igintion switch has gone in - everything working as it should - only time will tell wether the fault has been cured - i did notice that on the old switch the back is a bit loose - inside the switch there are 2 copper discs which rotate when the key is turned to make and break various contacts - i think the loose back had caused the switch contacts to break the electrical connection so i have good feeling that fault has been fixed - but like i said only time will tell - i will post back if the fault re-occurs

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links