Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Lexus gurus

I have been reading good reviews of Lexus LS 400/ LS 430 and couldn't find a single bad about these.

I have started to think to buy a Ls 400 or LS 430? As I like the shape of LS 400 but LS 430 has more to offer. But it makes me confused about a lot of things, which one should I buy, LS400 or LS 430? I also think about running costs how much would I need to spend on these annually? Are these expensive to run apart from fuel? I can covert it to LPG is that a good idea? Then it makes me think if I spend £2000 on lpg what if something big goes wrong in the car and I end up scrapping it? Then I start thinking to buy a 2003/2004 new shape BMW 5 series. It could be less expensive than LS400/430?

I am 34 yrs old and got 4 years NCD. I already asked my existing insurance company which costs me £430/year for my Daihatsu terios 4x4 insurance and they quoted me £3600 for LS 400. lol.

Thanks

Hi

I have been driving lexus for 5 years and it is the best car i have driven - i used to have 96 Mark 3 and now a 98 Mark 4 - the Mark 4 is the best of the lot , You get touch screen sat nav and controls, Xenon headlamps, VVTI engine and generally a better car overall than the Mark 3. The engines on the LS400 are generally bulletproof.

Heres a list of general faults to look for:

Failing bonnet struts

No working front heated seats (mark 3 only) (generally they never work and theirs no easy solution)

Water ingress in the boot - check the spare wheel well

Make sure you have 2 master keys plus the grey vanity key

Radio LCD digits and backlights tend to fail on Mark 3

Make sure ride is smooth and no suspension noises

Full service history is a must but can be rare given the age of the car but make sure the cambelt has been changed.

Fuel wise you should get 16 locally and around 30 on a run

These car respond well to LPG conversion - some members have used profess gas - check out their website - their price is around £1200

I have never driven an LS430 but the opinions seem to be divided wether its a better car than the 400 - sure its got a few more toys such as newer sat nav, heated and cooled massage seats, Keyless go to name a few.

I would say spend a bit of time on the forum and find out as much as you can then drive all 3 and make your mind up from there.

All the best

Hi Lexus gurus

I have been reading good reviews of Lexus LS 400/ LS 430 and couldn't find a single bad about these.

I have started to think to buy a Ls 400 or LS 430? As I like the shape of LS 400 but LS 430 has more to offer. But it makes me confused about a lot of things, which one should I buy, LS400 or LS 430? I also think about running costs how much would I need to spend on these annually? Are these expensive to run apart from fuel? I can covert it to LPG is that a good idea? Then it makes me think if I spend £2000 on lpg what if something big goes wrong in the car and I end up scrapping it? Then I start thinking to buy a 2003/2004 new shape BMW 5 series. It could be less expensive than LS400/430?

I am 34 yrs old and got 4 years NCD. I already asked my existing insurance company which costs me £430/year for my Daihatsu terios 4x4 insurance and they quoted me £3600 for LS 400. lol.

Thanks

I got bitten by the Lexus LS400 MK IV bug nearly two years ago. Had Profess gas convert it in a day for £1150 which includes a full tank worth £50 of LPG, this is the second car I have had converted by them and I wouldnt go anywhere else now. They lend you a car for the day so a nice day out in Wales as well. I have never had a problem with any of the systems fitted by them or Duelfuel in Woking. Dualfuel want over 2K and need the car for at least a week.

I have driven on LPG for 15+ years now and had all my cars converted myself. Be very careful about cars that are already converted because there are some real disastor stories out there. The MOT in 2012 includes checking LPG systems and many will fail. You also need a certificate for your insurance co increasingly more. Also check your exisiting Ins Company will accept you converting to LPG.

All that said you are then paying around 70p a litre for driving in what can only be described as pure bliss.

Mike

Welcome to the LOC.

I look at it this way regarding the LS400 the 1990-92 was the prototype, the 92-94 was the improved prototype, the 94-97 was a huge improvement on the other 2 and the last models made the series 4 was the final finished product with all the problems from previous models finally sorted.

The early LS430 was the prototype again.

I asked the same question a week or two back.

I ended up buying a Mk IV last week, and as expected it's a lovely car.

The 430 at sensible money, imo, would be a bit of a risk as they seem very complicated by comparison - suspension being a particular worry for me.

Much as I like my LS, there's no way I'd pay four figure sums for insurance on any car, let alone £3,600, but it's your money.

I am 34 yrs old and got 4 years NCD. I already asked my existing insurance company and they quoted me £3600 for LS 400. lol.

My advice would be to get a quote from another insurance company.

£3600 is way, way too much!!

If you can get it down to £400-£800, it will allow you more leeway to purchase a good example.

Like you, I am in the market for an LS series, but for me I am going to have to travel, as these cars are very rare in my area.

Good luck in your search!

Hi Lexus gurus

Thanks

I am sadly nearly twice your age with full NCB and I pay £300 full comp inclu NCB protection and my wife is also listed as a driver. I live on the Hants/Berks border so risk should be around the same as yours.

I cant believe some of the stupid amounts quoted these days for Insurance, have a look at some of the other posts I have left on insurance.

Good luck with both finding a car and insurance.

Mike

I live in a Manchester postcode (and a nice part of Manchester I might add, for comparison purposes), and the cheapest I can get is about a grand.

That's for someone who's had a licence for more than 20 years, no claims, no points, IAM-qualified, and no regular commute either.

Insurance is a scam. They'll say how it's to do with engine size but that's nonsense as newer diesels are just as quick. They'll say it's to do with repair costs but that's nonsense again, as they'll just write it off. They'll say its because it's a £50,000 car, but that's nonsense because it's now a £2,000 car.

Something needs to be done about car insurance.

Thanks all.

I have tried online quote with Adiran flux yesterday. They have sent an email today, guess what their quote is £5479.

I replied them is it price of the car or insurance quote because car is worth £2000.

I am really disappointed, will keep trying but I might end up forgetting the idea of buying LS 400.

Thanks all.

I have tried online quote with Adiran flux yesterday. They have sent an email today, guess what their quote is £5479.

I replied them is it price of the car or insurance quote because car is worth £2000.

I am really disappointed, will keep trying but I might end up forgetting the idea of buying LS 400.

We used to have another forum member on here from Reading I know he has sold his LS400 but he may pick this thread up, it would be interesting to see what he was paying. I am insured with Chaucer Ins which is On line and through Go Compare.

Mike

Hi Lexus gurus

Thanks

I am sadly nearly twice your age with full NCB and I pay £300 full comp inclu NCB protection and my wife is also listed as a driver. I live on the Hants/Berks border so risk should be around the same as yours.

I cant believe some of the stupid amounts quoted these days for Insurance, have a look at some of the other posts I have left on insurance.

Good luck with both finding a car and insurance.

Mike

My LS400 '91 was last insured (2011) with SAGA for circa £400. Living in Shropshire.

Firstly, insurance is a scam, pure and simple.

There are 3 core reasons your quotes are so high:

1) Postcode - you probably live in a "bad" postcode. I do, hence I also get quotes in the region you're getting.

2) Lack of NCB - any less than 10 years seems to hit your premium hard

3) Any kind of previous claim in the last 5 or so years, even windscreen claims - they lie like politicians about this, but ANY previous will hammer your quote. DAMHIKT.

There are a whole load of other, smaller factors. e.g. being single puts your quote up. In my case, adding a tracker or putting the car in a garage increased the quote (eh? -ed). Also, experiment with increasing/decreasing the value; about £3500 was the sweet spot for me; any less and the quote goes up (????), any more and the quote goes up (OK, I can understand that one). Confused.com is your friend here, the only caution I'd put in is - be honest about your past accident record, because they WILL check if you ask for 1 quote with a claim & 1 without...

Hello All I found the best insurance I could find is with N.F.U. Full Comp, Recovery,( european included) Overnight hotel ,etc-etc, and it costs £570. I think you should give it a try,it could be worthwhile.

Shelldrake :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a big insurer and ill tell you guys why insurance is high, its because you guys go through the go compare or meerkat websites. There are middlemen on there who make a lot of money for themselves that's why its expensive, however if you call the insurer direct without telling the quote you had online, your insurance will come down, sometimes more than 50%. So give it a try.

I have, in the past, had silly quotes from comparison sites. Some will not even quote me on them. one example is Churchill. They came up as refusing to quote on several comparison sites whilst I had just received my renewal quote from them. On going to their website I obtained a quote which I declined. I phoned them and got them to reduce the figure quoted for renewal, which they did. Always always always phone insurers direct.

I've had a similar experience. It seems there are two annual premiums: the one that the insurance company sends out to you, and the reduced one that it offers you when you tell them that you don't want to renew. The whole thing seems negotiable these days, which makes the original figure look like a try-on (or rip-off). When I was insured through the AA it was cheaper to get a quote for a new policy than to renew the existing one - until I pointed this out and they offered to price-match themselves!

I've had a similar experience. It seems there are two annual premiums: the one that the insurance company sends out to you, and the reduced one that it offers you when you tell them that you don't want to renew. The whole thing seems negotiable these days, which makes the original figure look like a try-on (or rip-off). When I was insured through the AA it was cheaper to get a quote for a new policy than to renew the existing one - until I pointed this out and they offered to price-match themselves!

Cant agree on the Insurance comaprison sites. I always use them and I always get a decent low figure.

Same for my son and daughter when theirs becomes due.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

This topic (not the bit about Insurance) interests me. I am slowly looking for a replacement for my 1997 LS400. I think the very last of the LS430s would be best for me. The earlier 430s don't look so good and I would also hope that by then end of that production, it would be similar to the 400, in that all of the problems are sorted.

I would be interested in other opinions...

I don't know about the LS400, other than the reviews others have written.

On the other hand the 2001 LS430 I've had for the last 3 years has been the best and most reliable car I've ever had by more than a mile. I've now done 40,000 m in it and apart from normal servicing I've replaced the gas struts on the boot lid and a solenoid on the inlet manifold. Compared with my old 'S' Class that clocked up 30 faults in 2 years it's amazing.

The early LS430s with the 5 speed gearbox, may be a bit more reliable than the later models.

One reason I bought one was after talking to a man who had had one from new and done over 100,000 m in it. Had he had any problems or breakdowns? No.

Insurance can be a pain as I live on one of the 'bandit' estates in North Manchester. This year 'Go Compare' found me quotes from £550 to £6,500 and many companies will not quote. Still that's £100 less than last year.

John N

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links