Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If You Were Looking For A Series Iv Ls400

Just spotted this on Fleabay, already at £3800.00 but from the pictures alone it looks like a 35,000 miler.

Will be interesting what it finally makes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Lexus-LS400-Auto-Genuine-35333-miles-clock-Private-Plate-/300665682735?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4601123b2f#ht_1308wt_1189

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spotted this on Fleabay, already at £3800.00 but from the pictures alone it looks like a 35,000 miler.

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1308wt_1189

I spotted this last night as I'm still getting alerts each day from eBay when a 400 or 430 is newly listed.

I thought about posting a link, but still a bit unsure about what's allowed on here?

Anyway, with regard to final price, if you check the Q&A at the bottom, somebody is suggesting that £5k is too much for it, I'm guessing they have been told the reserve.

As you say - an interesting watch.

You do need to be a Gold member to actually sell on the LOC but I have no personal involvement in the car so I have posted the link as I feel it will be of interest to other members paricularly its condition and especially the expected selling price.

There have also been posts from members recently looking for this particular model of the LS400 and I don't think it does any harm to bring it to their attention.

Thanks Steve, I'll post next time I find something that I feel is of general interest.

I'm not sure what to think about this car, it's obviously a rare one at that mileage, but not worth £5k to me.

I spotted this last night as I'm still getting alerts each day from eBay when a 400 or 430 is newly listed.

I thought about posting a link, but still a bit unsure about what's allowed on here?

Anyway, with regard to final price, if you check the Q&A at the bottom, somebody is suggesting that £5k is too much for it, I'm guessing they have been told the reserve.

The value of anything is what you or as in this case what the seller believes it to be.

Its not like a £10 note which has a definate value.

Personaly I think its worth every penny of £5k.

It has a FSH, one owner and this car new was I think somewhere around £55,000.

If you buy the car and keep it for 10 years doing say 10K miles per year then its costing you around £500 per year in depreciation to drive in the most comfortable car on the road. Bear in mind that by then these cars will be considered Classic Cars and so your car with only 135K on the clock will still have a decent residual value.

I would also spend £1000 converting it to LPG, saving even more money.

No its not my car but I did give it serious consideration but I am still in love with mine.

The Mk4 by most is considered the bees knees of the LS400 and this is only 35000 from being brand spankers new, its a no brainer for me.

Mike

The value of anything is what you or as in this case what the seller believes it to be.

If you buy the car and keep it for 10 years doing say 10K miles per year then its costing you around £500 per year in depreciation to drive in the most comfortable car on the road. Bear in mind that by then these cars will be considered Classic Cars and so your car with only 135K on the clock will still have a decent residual value.

No its not my car but I did give it serious consideration but I am still in love with mine.

The Mk4 by most is considered the bees knees of the LS400 and this is only 35000 from being brand spankers new, its a no brainer for me.

Mike

But if you converted it to LPG the car would not be considered a "Classic Car" since it would not be to original spec.

Mike

But if you converted it to LPG the car would not be considered a "Classic Car" since it would not be to original spec.

They can still considered Classic Cars. LPG is often found in classic cars these days and you can always take it out.

I used to own a Reliant Scimitar and belonged to the owners club and many were converted no one ever said that this took away its classic car status but they were against messing around with the body work or putting larger engines in.

Mike

My last Mk2 August 1994 M plate I bought at 8542 miles in Dec 2007 at £3750....... 13 years old. ( now written-off ) BUT from a non-Lexus dealer though.

So this one at £5k at 13 years and 35,000 miles without the need for a cambelt change for another 7 years looks a reasonable offering to me.

But it is from a private seller and I guess if he traded it in or sold it to the trade then it would only have a value @ £3k tops and on a good day. Let's not forget that no-one has the cash these days and especially to run a thirsty old beast notwithstanding the supreme quality of the car.

If I needed a LS400 and had £5k and was intent on keeping the car for 7 years then I would " go4it ".... but would beat him up on the price to £4k ... coz as you say there are a million and one Mk4's on the market that one can buy for £2k.

Malc

My last Mk2 August 1994 M plate I bought at 8542 miles in Dec 2007 at £3750....... 13 years old. ( now written-off ) BUT from a non-Lexus dealer though.

So this one at £5k at 13 years and 35,000 miles without the need for a cambelt change for another 7 years looks a reasonable offering to me.

But it is from a private seller and I guess if he traded it in or sold it to the trade then it would only have a value @ £3k tops and on a good day. Let's not forget that no-one has the cash these days and especially to run a thirsty old beast notwithstanding the supreme quality of the car.

If I needed a LS400 and had £5k and was intent on keeping the car for 7 years then I would " go4it ".... but would beat him up on the price to £4k ... coz as you say there are a million and one Mk4's on the market that one can buy for £2k.

Malc

I would be very surprised if there were 10s of thousands MK 4 LS400s but would not of thought a million plus and cars in this condition I would have thought would be in the low hundreds.

Very sad about the demise of your low mileage LS.

Mike

Spare wheel never used - so chances are the tyre will need replacing for safety reasons.

Nothing in the advert about suspension, as we all know knocks and clunks are common on LS400s so that'll want investigating.

Cambelt replaced 9 years into ownership? What else hasn't been replaced on time?

Call me cynical but...well, I'm somewhat cynical.

I'd be happy with the cambelt situation, it's done next to no milleage, manufacturers are over cautious when it comes to recommending changes to such things. I'm surprised it's even been done. It looks lovely but as has been pointed out, it's still an old thirsty car and that puts a limit on it's worth in this day and age unfortunately.

I'd be happy with the cambelt situation, it's done next to no milleage, manufacturers are over cautious when it comes to recommending changes to such things. I'm surprised it's even been done. It looks lovely but as has been pointed out, it's still an old thirsty car and that puts a limit on it's worth in this day and age unfortunately.

manufacturers are over cautious when it comes to recommending changes to such things.

Of course this means more money from the customer also known as Mugs or the general public.

We have run on 'Over Cautious' in our society for years, Global warming, Health& safety, Too much Chocolate, Beer, Wine, The good old English fry up, Flying kills trees, watching to much TV, playing too many computer games, using your mobile phone too much and

s*x will make you go blind, Jam doughnuts, Cream cakes, White bread, in fact its bloody amazing we have manage to evolve as well as we have done.

Just remember if you think its good I can gaurantee its bad for you and it will of course cost money.

Mike

As a comparison I bought mine 6 years ago as a fresh import with 62,000Kms (converted to MPH so 38,000 miles) with no service history ( have tried to obtain since but no success from the previous Japanese owner) at a cost of £3750.00.

So taking into account the 5 years age difference it seems reasonable at £4-5K plus this one does have a servoce history albeit a little out of tune with the cambelt replacement.

The only common fault I have had with it was the LCD screen but I sorted that myself for around £40.00.

The instrument panel has never had the flicker problem when cold or dark needle tips, the trunk hinge wire has never broken and although I replaced the PS reservoir O ring there was no leak present.

I have either been very lucky or the car as I suspected was fully serviced and maintained in Japan even the engine compartment gleams as it did when I first purchased it.

When I damaged the LS I struggled to find a replacement in a similar condition, I was looking at series IVs but there were some real nails out there, had this one been available at the time I would have certainly been interested instead of repairing my own.

As a comparison I bought mine 6 years ago as a fresh import with 62,000Kms (converted to MPH so 38,000 miles) with no service history ( have tried to obtain since but no success from the previous Japanese owner) at a cost of £3750.00.

So taking into account the 5 years age difference it seems reasonable at £4-5K plus this one does have a servoce history albeit a little out of tune with the cambelt replacement.

The only common fault I have had with it was the LCD screen but I sorted that myself for around £40.00.

The instrument panel has never had the flicker problem when cold or dark needle tips, the trunk hinge wire has never broken and although I replaced the PS reservoir O ring there was no leak present.

I have either been very lucky or the car as I suspected was fully serviced and maintained in Japan even the engine compartment gleams as it did when I first purchased it.

When I damaged the LS I struggled to find a replacement in a similar condition, I was looking at series IVs but there were some real nails out there, had this one been available at the time I would have certainly been interested instead of repairing my own.

Have you posted any pics of your baby and especialy the engine compartment.

Mike

Have you posted any pics of your baby and especialy the engine compartment.

Mike

DSCF0048.jpg

Engine bay

lexusstarter017.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics, I always like to see what other members cars look like.

What a clean looking engine bay. Fantastic.

How often do you clean the engine bay.

Nice colour, never dates and always holds it value better than other colours.

You must be very proud of her.

Mike

Thanks for posting the pics, I always like to see what other members cars look like.

Mike

Cheers Mike,

The engine bay gets a fettle in the springtime normally and a spray of silicone on the black plastic covers, I have now fitted a UCF20 engine cover which was fairly straightforward with the correct brackets supplied all from Benfur.

DSCF0130.jpg

Mike

Maybe we should have a gallery section like other sites

Mike

Good point.

There is a "Media Library" where you can post up pictures though.

Mike

Good point.

There is a "Media Library" where you can post up pictures though.

The American site has a permanantly fixed to the top two posting places for your car and another to post pics of your wheel set up. I always visit at least once a week, it amazes me how they get such a fantastic finish to the polishing. I know lots of elbow grease and a magical product I have no knowledge of.

Perhaps we could have a similar posting area.

Mike

Going back to the original theme, there have been a couple of developments on the auction.

It seems the high bidder is a new zero f/b member who's not responding to the vendor, so they are going to rejig the bids.

Hmmm?

Going back to the original theme, there have been a couple of developments on the auction.

It seems the high bidder is a new zero f/b member who's not responding to the vendor, so they are going to rejig the bids.

Hmmm?

What it is with these idiots and cars on eBay its beyond any rational thinking on my part. When I have had to sell the odd car on there I absolutley dread it.

Nigerian scams, Poor feedback or none at all, non paying bidders I'm glad I dont trade in cars and rely on eBay for my selling medium.

It is beyond me what they get out of it.

eBay should make bidders register a Debit/Credit card with them and payment is taken from that imeadiately. That would keep alot of the brainless ***** away from it.

Here endeth todays lesson.

Mike

Thanks for that I meant to change the word myself but dinner arrived.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links