Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bonnet Struts And The Mot

1996 LS400 going in for MoT next week. All seems OK so far as I can tell from the viewpoint of a mechanical gorilla.

However, on last year's there is an advisory for weak bonnet struts and, to be fair, they have just about had it. They slow the closing of the bonnet a bit but not much and will not keep it raised. I have a stout walking stick that I use as a prop.

On checking through the current MoT requirements, I cannot find any mention of the bonnet struts so can anyone tell me if I need to replace these now for the MoT or can I wait until the budget allows?

Have a look at strutsdirect.co.UK you might be pleasantly surprised how cheap they are. Took me 20 mins to change them, most of that time was getting tools out and putting then away!

Id say if they were an advisory last time and now they dont do the job at all, it will be a fail. Id replace them before if possible.

My opinion is if they were not part of mot they wouldnt have issued an advisory.

Id say if they were an advisory last time and now they dont do the job at all, it will be a fail. Id replace them before if possible.

My opinion is if they were not part of mot they wouldnt have issued an advisory.

Makes sense. I'm sure the dog and cat won't mind hunting their own food while I source some bonnet struts....

Thanks for the excellent advice.

At £39 a pair I may as well get them done. I do occasionally feel the need to check the oil and I definitely do have to top up the washer bottle as I live in a very grubby part of Buckinghamshire and work in an even grubbier part of Hertfordshire. I find these tasks simpler if the car is not trying to eat me!

Someone on here once recommended that we open our bonnets once a week or so, just for the sake of it, because this helps to keep the struts pressurised. I don't know if that's true, and in any case I keep forgetting - until I need to fill up the washer bottle.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

At £39 a pair I may as well get them done. I do occasionally feel the need to check the oil and I definitely do have to top up the washer bottle as I live in a very grubby part of Buckinghamshire and work in an even grubbier part of Hertfordshire. I find these tasks simpler if the car is not trying to eat me!

They failed on my last LS and one day when I was checking the oil etc the bonnet came crashing down on my head (the sharp corner!) and it very nearly knocked me out, so I would get them done for your own safety.

I thought it was abit silly to fail a car because of weak bonnet struts. I mean how the hell do weak bonnet struts affect the way a car is driven?

Exactly. The MOT is basically a roadworthy safety test. Bonnet struts not working is not going to be dangerous driving down the road. A bonnet catch on the other hand can be a fail cos if that fails at 60mph your bonnet is smashing into your windscreen!

Struts won't be a failure, however they will give you information saying that they are not doing the job they were designed and installed to do.

My old Ls400 had this problem and the friendly MOT chap told me the above when it went in, no advisory just verbally.

Cheap to buy and simple to replace if you feel the urge.

not long ago we were joking on this forum that we would have alot more MOT failures if bonnet struts were part of the test (since this is common failing part) - why would they even put it as an advisory??

There was nothing else. Maybe the tester was just trying to be helpful? Wasn't my car at the time.

not long ago we were joking on this forum that we would have alot more MOT failures if bonnet struts were part of the test (since this is common failing part) - why would they even put it as an advisory??

Perhaps it was just a friendly garage just to let you know they needed replacing. Mike

It was me that made the joking comment about the bonnet struts and the MOT.

I suppose in theory that as the bonnet needs to be raised for the MOT it need to be either self supported i,e. struts or it has the lift up support fitted to lesser models.

If the tester doesn't have a suitable prop or has concerns for his safety the test could be aborted I guess, so if you do need an MOT and have weak struts make sure you have the prop with you and instuct the tester in its use.

Mine was technically failed once as the tester couldn't find the rear fog lights switch as it is retrofitted being an inport so not obvious.

Hello guys.

Speaking of strange things to have as Advisory Information, my LS passed it's last MOT but came back with an Advisory of

"This vehicle has Type Approved seat belt installations"

I had another car MOT tested after the LS and no such Advisory was issued for that one about seat belts.

Steve.

As far as I understand, lifting the bonnet once a week stops the strut seals drying out so quickly. Makes sense to me , and lets face it, what a nice view when open. :-)

Well, she sailed through the MoT this morning with just the one advisory - a small crack in the plastic is causing the front number plate to start discolouring.

The gas struts for the bonnet @ £39.18 the pair inclusive arrived very quickly but the MoT garage wouldn't fit them as they had not supplied them. Wiil get around to it when the rain/snow/wind stops - Lexus won't fit in my garage - as, after all, lifting the bonnet is a fairly rare event.

Looking forward to another year of cruising in comfort.

Well, she sailed through the MoT this morning with just the one advisory - a small crack in the plastic is causing the front number plate to start discolouring.

The gas struts for the bonnet @ £39.18 the pair inclusive arrived very quickly but the MoT garage wouldn't fit them as they had not supplied them. Wiil get around to it when the rain/snow/wind stops - Lexus won't fit in my garage - as, after all, lifting the bonnet is a fairly rare event.

Great news. Thank god for my village garage as they have looked after my wifes car mine and my childrens cars and he has always said do you want to try through your car club if you can get the part cheaper. He has even seen my son visit the shop attached to the garage and noticed he had a brake light out, gone into the shop and asked him to drive the car round the corner so he can fit him a new bulb. Then said I'll see Dad for the money and charged me just for the bulb.

I dread the day he retires as there is no one to take over the business. Mike

Great news. Thank god for my village garage as they have looked after my wifes car mine and my childrens cars and he has always said do you want to try through your car club if you can get the part cheaper. He has even seen my son visit the shop attached to the garage and noticed he had a brake light out, gone into the shop and asked him to drive the car round the corner so he can fit him a new bulb. Then said I'll see Dad for the money and charged me just for the bulb.

I dread the day he retires as there is no one to take over the business. Mike

I do have a nearby garage who does great things for my motley car collection - currently the Lexus; MGF and Triumph Toledo - but I don't like to take advantage.

When my Nissan QX Maxima 3.0V6 - best car I have ever owned other than the Lexus - broke the exhaust when I drove it down a rough track, I was quoted nearly £600 to replace it. The garage fixed it by welding in a length of exhaust pipe salvaged from a Bentley for £25.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links