Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rant About Ebay Seller &^*%$*)

Last night I clicked the Buy-it-now on a 1995 Ls400 which was only 45 miles from here.

I was initially looking for a mkIV but at £600 for a black mkIII I couldn't let it slip.

The seller stated in his listing that he wanted a small deposit due to previous experiences. Fair is fair, I also ask for a deposit wen I sell on eBay - usually £100 at a car worth over a grand.

He messaged me saying he wanted a £200 deposit as he had plenty of buyers wanting to pick up the vehicle tomorrow and if I was a serious buyer I had to pay that asap.

Obviously I messaged him back informing him that £200 was a quite exorbitant deposit amount considering the sale price and I told him I was willing to pay £100 and pick up the car the next day, No contact was made after that last message....until this morning when I received a message from him saying: "A buyer has paid the deposit in full, car is now sold"

I was nearly as happy as a small child on xmas morning finding a Ls this close, thought I had secured it by using the Buy-it-now option..........I would love to tell all you guys how I feel at the moment, but I think I would be banned for life :)

Some sellers eh.....

Looks like I had a lucky break as well - cos you beat me to the buy-it-now .

Y'know what they say about "if something seems too good to be true"

well in all fairness it needed a little work and had a few rust spots on the arches. I wouldn't call this one 'too good to be true', but it was a good price

The other thing is it is a complete waste of time and effort reporting the idiot to ebay as they will do sweet FA about it, based outside UK jurasdiction they are above the law in all aspects.

That's very true, unfortunately. Lucky escape though, I think.

I would have bought it for the number plate. MILF M - (google milf if you don't know what one is!). I can understand to a certain degree the seller wanting a 'small deposit',but he should have stated exactly what he wanted. I can only assume he thought he would get more for it because of the number plates,in which case a £200 deposit wouldn't have been too excessive for something which sells for more than a grand. Lets not forget the Paypal fees are 3.4% for something that sells for a grand - £34,plus the eBay fees of course. I tend to use Gumtree now - it's free.

• Like 1

I would have bought it for the number plate. MILF M - (google milf if you don't know what one is!). I can understand to a certain degree the seller wanting a 'small deposit',but he should have stated exactly what he wanted. I can only assume he thought he would get more for it because of the number plates,in which case a £200 deposit wouldn't have been too excessive for something which sells for more than a grand. Lets not forget the Paypal fees are 3.4% for something that sells for a grand - £34,plus the eBay fees of course. I tend to use Gumtree now - it's free.

It was a fixed price listing, there was no bidding possible. £600 BIN which I pressed faster than a fast thing going fast.

I had the plan of selling on the number plate - there's no chance in hell that I, a 6'6" tall bloke is going to drive around with MILF written on my car haha

Nearly choked on my cappuccino ,at that first line . The forum misses your insightful posts ,hows your search for an LS going?

Nearly choked on my cappuccino ,at that first line . The forum misses your insightful posts ,hows your search for an LS going?

I would dearly love another LS and until recently had my MB 300TE up for grabs to fund it,but no joy in selling I'm afraid. One day....

Can you leave negative feedback if you did a Buy It Now but the sale never fully completed? Might be a good way to at least warn others that he's a sly seller...

I wouldn't leave a deposit on any car I hadn't seen.

I've bought a fair few off eBay too, including my current LS.

I always message the seller saying that I'm buying on their description, but may not complete the sale if the vehicle is not as described.

I've never had a problem yet, but if any seller didn't agree, I'm afraid I'd just go on to the next.

• Like 1

Can you leave negative feedback if you did a Buy It Now but the sale never fully completed? Might be a good way to at least warn others that he's a sly seller...

Oh I will definitely leave negative feedback. I did some reading on eBay and apparently I can't open a case against him, because the category 'cars' isn't included in the Buyer's Protection programme. There are a few things I can do still and I will use them all.

I'm still gutted about this though - for about 12 hours this weekend (most of those spent sleeping) I was convinced I was back in a Ls400 seat!!

The search continues I guess....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I will definitely leave negative feedback. I did some reading on eBay and apparently I can't open a case against him, because the category 'cars' isn't included in the Buyer's Protection programme. There are a few things I can do still and I will use them all.

I'm still gutted about this though - for about 12 hours this weekend (most of those spent sleeping) I was convinced I was back in a Ls400 seat!!

eBay is pants at sorting out this kind of thing.

At least you walked away without getting stung with a a big loss or probable shed or a car.

You could get even a couple of ways, bad feedback is mainly the eBay route,The other approach relies a bit on knowing where the seller lives and depends on your approach to getting even as some would call it.

Friends in low places, nuff siad really :arrrggg-matey:

Hey Ruud, really sux that you had to go through that. It was me that bought the car. i paid a deposit, but through paypal and in such a way that i could try and claim it back if the car was a total POS.

i really just wanted it for the engine.

not sure if this will ease the pain a bit, but, the exhaust is rotten with bodged repairs. the passenger window does not work, there is a intermittent fault with the drivers window and the car smokes a wee bit when applying throttle.its bogging inside and smells badly of smoke. front wheel alignment is out and the ds wheel is bald.

not the type of things you want if you wanted to hold on to the car, which i did once i drove it home. but after looking over it propperly, it just issint feasable to do unless you were a die hard fan

the sellers tho are a totally genuine couple that never intended for this to happen. the guy phoned me when you purchased it to ask my advice. i told him that you pressed the BIN button, and therefore you should get it. he said that i paid the deposit first and will respect that i was first in line to buy it, which i did.

hope you track down a good car dude, they are out there. unfortunately they dont tend to be in Scotland

Hey Ruud, really sux that you had to go through that. It was me that bought the car. i paid a deposit, but through paypal and in such a way that i could try and claim it back if the car was a total POS.

i really just wanted it for the engine.

not sure if this will ease the pain a bit, but, the exhaust is rotten with bodged repairs. the passenger window does not work, there is a intermittent fault with the drivers window and the car smokes a wee bit when applying throttle.its bogging inside and smells badly of smoke. front wheel alignment is out and the ds wheel is bald.

not the type of things you want if you wanted to hold on to the car, which i did once i drove it home. but after looking over it propperly, it just issint feasable to do unless you were a die hard fan

the sellers tho are a totally genuine couple that never intended for this to happen. the guy phoned me when you purchased it to ask my advice. i told him that you pressed the BIN button, and therefore you should get it. he said that i paid the deposit first and will respect that i was first in line to buy it, which i did.

hope you track down a good car dude, they are out there. unfortunately they dont tend to be in Scotland

Fair deal mate.

I knew I couldn't expect a new car for £600, but was willing to put the time, effort and cash in it to bring it up to standard - that and an Ls400 coming up for sale in Scotland is like rocking horse poop.

I appreciate you coming out with this info and I hope the engine will suit your needs.

I am still quite disgusted with the seller's behaviour, but that's just me.

eBay is pants at sorting out this kind of thing.

At least you walked away without getting stung with a a big loss or probable shed or a car.

You could get even a couple of ways, bad feedback is mainly the eBay route,The other approach relies a bit on knowing where the seller lives and depends on your approach to getting even as some would call it.

Friends in low places, nuff siad really :arrrggg-matey:

I don't

think they sort anything out these days.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links