Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Often when someone's just acquired a used Lexus, I read about a multitude of no longer working features, which, to my surprise, are called "minor" problems. This got me thinking... since we're all interested in Luxury Sedans (Lexus LS's) here: What does it take for a car to be luxurious, I mean, what's the very minimum needed to qualify as a Luxury car?

For me, it has to be comfortable, feature some wood in the cabin and leather too, plus a stereo with at least 4 speakers. What do you think?

I don't think so much about individual options but for me it is comfort, build and ride quality, silence and effortless driving experience.

All these aspects with Lexus surprised me in a big way and I still find myself smiling every time I drive this magnificent piece of automotive engineering.

• Like 1

Often when someone's just acquired a used Lexus, I read about a multitude of no longer working features, which, to my surprise, are called "minor" problems. This got me thinking... since we're all interested in Luxury Sedans (Lexus LS's) here: What does it take for a car to be luxurious, I mean, what's the very minimum needed to qualify as a Luxury car?

For me, it has to be comfortable, feature some wood in the cabin and leather too, plus a stereo with at least 4 speakers. What do you think?

Things have moved on since the Triumph Dolomite matey !

Enjoy your new car.

Regards

John

To me it has to be

Well put together with no rattles bangs or squeaks after 100K miles

Body work looks good after 10 years (so must have been put together well)

Has lots of nice design thoughts (like having space for CD changer in dash - rather than boot)

The seating has to be good for all passengers (so 2+2's are a no-no)

Should be able to drive it for 300 miles and still fresh

Luxury is being able to enjoy the driving experience with no stress caused by same ,having the power to ease out of hazard situations and feel comfortable after 8 hours continous driving which is how long it takes me to drive the 560 miles from Devon to Scotland twice a year.

I thought I had enjoyed luxury with my Jaguars, tried a BMW 7 series.

Then I tried a Lexus and I was blown away by the effortless silky smooth drive, the fact that everything works on a 12 yo car is a bonus.

At 4.3 ltr it is far more economical than the same age 3.2 ltr Jaguar.

I thought I had enjoyed luxury with my Jaguars, tried a BMW 7 series.

Then I tried a Lexus and I was blown away by the effortless silky smooth drive, the fact that everything works on a 12 yo car is a bonus.

At 4.3 ltr it is far more economical than the same age 3.2 ltr Jaguar.

I too thought that I had found luxury 11 years ago when I got my Mercedes E200CDI AUTO ESTATE. Electric everything, smooth performance, 50 mpg on any journey over 50 miles, been down to Spain and back twice each year for the last 8 years, no aches or pains, no mechanical breakdowns, sat nav, music, silent cruising etc. Now covered 184,000 miles,still going strong and will take it again next year .

Then ONE MONTH AGO I bought the Lexus. Not as economical obviously, but in all other respects it is in a different Galaxy !

Regards

John

I thought my Honda Legend 3.5 (Lexus clone) was quite luxurious until I got the LS400. The LS simply trumps it on every level. Quieter, smoother, more comfortable and more powerful. Should have got one years ago.

I thought my Honda Legend 3.5 (Lexus clone) was quite luxurious until I got the LS400. The LS simply trumps it on every level. Quieter, smoother, more comfortable and more powerful. Should have got one years ago.

I've always wondered how the Legend was compared to the Ls - I guess I won't bother trying that out now :)

Well guys, I hate to say this BUT when being a passenger in my ex bro-in-laws 56 plate Honda Legend I found it to be an incredibly GOOD experience

( that was my recent trip to the Humber car Collection in Hull that I mentioned before ........- somewhere )

Malc

Malc, I agree with you, the Honda was an excellent car, but if you'd had driven both cars for 2 years like I did, you would have soon noticed the difference in the Lexus believe me. Like I said it's a Lexus clone, but not quite on the same level.

Malc, I agree with you, the Honda was an excellent car, but if you'd had driven both cars for 2 years like I did, you would have soon noticed the difference in the Lexus believe me. Like I said it's a Lexus clone, but not quite on the same level.

Can't help feeling it's an unfair comparison, given the prices of both cars when new.

In 2009 you could buy a brand new legend for around £22K, though that was with a 10K+ discount admittedly.

Perhaps it is a bit unfair but I suppose you get what you pay for. I rode in a 51 plate Mercedes Spends the other day and though it was a quality ride,(a bit harsher), the seats were harder and the fit and finish was a bit disappointing. I still preferred to be in my Lexus.

Luxury,is getting into my LS,turning the key,and it starts first time,driving off, gliding,I think is the word I'm looking for,down the road,and being able to converse with my occasional passenger,without having to raise my voice,listening to the Radio,the sound coming out of quality speakers,the heated seats warming my bum nicely,mm ,I'm getting bored with this..........

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links