Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Stoke Pushy Salesman.

My wife and i visited Lexus Stoke on Sunday after my wife had had to complain to the sales manager Gareth that no one had returned my calls about a test drive of an IS300h Luxury. Well we arrived on time but Gareth didn't, he came 25 mins late and never even spoke to us. We saw Jean Luc and he let us have a test drive of the IS300.

Great so far, we liked it and wanted a Mesa Red with Black interior just like we have now.

No Jen Luc had a white one and wanted to know why we didn't want to buy it. My wife said she didn't like White and we would prefer Red, quite simple we thought.

Oh no he went on and on about the White car and couldn't understand why we didn't want to buy. He asked us several times what he had to do to make us drive it away there and then. I said "paint it Red"!

He worked out the trade in on our then he took money of for things like allloy dents and paint chips, I might as well have given it away.

We had had enough and wanted to go but he insisted on taking us to see the White IS and still badgered us about buying it.

This is totally unacceptable behaviour from a Lexus employee.

PS

We went back to Lexus Wolverhampton Monday, were greeted by the sales manager and his staff and were shown 3 cars he had as part of the free Satnav deal. There was no pressure or intimidation. Sorry no Reds until September so we ordered a Sonic Titanium which is not far off the Platinum Ice we had on our first IS200. The trade-in offer was much more than that from Stoke and nothing was taken off for the condition of our vehicle.

Perhaps Jean Luc should visit Wolverhampton and see how customers should be treated.

My wife and i visited Lexus Stoke on Sunday after my wife had had to complain to the sales manager Gareth that no one had returned my calls about a test drive of an IS300h Luxury. Well we arrived on time but Gareth didn't, he came 25 mins late and never even spoke to us. We saw Jean Luc and he let us have a test drive of the IS300.

Great so far, we liked it and wanted a Mesa Red with Black interior just like we have now.

No Jen Luc had a white one and wanted to know why we didn't want to buy it. My wife said she didn't like White and we would prefer Red, quite simple we thought.

Oh no he went on and on about the White car and couldn't understand why we didn't want to buy. He asked us several times what he had to do to make us drive it away there and then. I said "paint it Red"!

He worked out the trade in on our then he took money of for things like allloy dents and paint chips, I might as well have given it away.

We had had enough and wanted to go but he insisted on taking us to see the White IS and still badgered us about buying it.

PS

We went back to Lexus Wolverhampton Monday, were greeted by the sales manager and his staff and were shown 3 cars he had as part of the free Satnav deal. There was no pressure or intimidation. Sorry no Reds until September so we ordered a Sonic Titanium which is not far off the Platinum Ice we had on our first IS200. The trade-in offer was much more than that from Stoke and nothing was taken off for the condition of our vehicle.

Perhaps Jean Luc should visit Wolverhampton and see how customers should be treated.

Disappointing to read about your story, Wallace.

As it turns out - you didn't even buy the Mesa Red after all, which leaves me baffled as to why you were only offered the white. Yes - Lexus Stoke may have a white one they want to get rid of due to age or other factors, but if money can't help the colour i'm baffled as to why they didn't at least explore other options than simply white if a Mesa Red won't arrive till September. Their loss it appears!

Trade in price should never be massively different between dealers, as they all work from the same guides. However, one thing I would say is it always amazed me (back in the days when I sold cars) how people were almost insulted that a scuff, alloy curb or dent etc would affect the value of their car. For example - the Lexus Approved Used programme dictates that all cars should be prepared to a high standard. A customer simply won't accept a car with 4 curbed wheels, a dent or scuff or any other major marks beyond "fair wear & tear"... if there are marks on used cars, the dealers are the first ones to be told "I won't buy that unless its paited / repaired", so why should a dealer ignore damage to a car when valuing it?

From my point of view, it is simple logic. A curbed wheel refurbished to Lexus standards is not cheap. Neither is other bodywork generally - so if I were to visit a dealer with a car that required some work to bring it up to Dealer standards (which, lets face it, nearly all cars do), I'd find it pretty normal that they take off an amount to allow for the refurbishment.

In the end - you got a car you are happy with and service to match, which is all that matters. The IS300h is a fantastic car, i'm certain you'll enjoy it.

PS

Disappointing to read about your story, Wallace.

As it turns out - you didn't even buy the Mesa Red after all, which leaves me baffled as to why you were only offered the white. Yes - Lexus Stoke may have a white one they want to get rid of due to age or other factors, but if money can't help the colour i'm baffled as to why they didn't at least explore other options than simply white if a Mesa Red won't arrive till September. Their loss it appears!

Trade in price should never be massively different between dealers, as they all work from the same guides. However, one thing I would say is it always amazed me (back in the days when I sold cars) how people were almost insulted that a scuff, alloy curb or dent etc would affect the value of their car. For example - the Lexus Approved Used programme dictates that all cars should be prepared to a high standard. A customer simply won't accept a car with 4 curbed wheels, a dent or scuff or any other major marks beyond "fair wear & tear"... if there are marks on used cars, the dealers are the first ones to be told "I won't buy that unless its paited / repaired", so why should a dealer ignore damage to a car when valuing it?

From my point of view, it is simple logic. A curbed wheel refurbished to Lexus standards is not cheap. Neither is other bodywork generally - so if I were to visit a dealer with a car that required some work to bring it up to Dealer standards (which, lets face it, nearly all cars do), I'd find it pretty normal that they take off an amount to allow for the refurbishment.

In the end - you got a car you are happy with and service to match, which is all that matters. The IS300h is a fantastic car, i'm certain you'll enjoy it.

Should have seen my experience with Lexus Bradford! It was in 2012 just before they became a part of the RRG Group, when the RX F Sport had just come out. They kept pushing me towards their pre-facelift RX450h SE-L on 12 plates going on about the massive discount they were willing to give.

I was adamant I wanted an RX F-Sport, the sales staff were pretty good but then the Manager came and tried to get me to buy a RX450h SE-L. I had enough and cracked, told him he's unworthy of his job and his attitude sucks. Walked straight out and bought the car from Stockport who were much better in every way.

The sales staff at Lexus Bradford wouldn't even ring me back, if I was getting £54k worth of business, Id be jumping about trying to close the deal. Also, they offered me £4700 part exchange on my 54 plate RX300 SE with 55k miles on it. This was an 8 year old car so it was low mileage and very well looked after! 3 months later, Lexus Stockport gave me £5300!! Talk about lowballing on Bradford's part!

Dealers will sometimes have cars that, for one reason or another, they have a behind-the-scenes urgency to register to qualify for better deals or other offers.

I don't see anything wrong in a sales person saying "I know you were after "A", but would you be interested in "B" if the deal was great"... Thats basic sales - and often the customer appreciates it and does indeed get a better deal.

The fact is though, if the customer says "no" and wants to pursuit the original idea - that should be respected and taken seriously. Unfortunately not everyone listens as well as they talk!

Dealers will sometimes have cars that, for one reason or another, they have a behind-the-scenes urgency to register to qualify for better deals or other offers.

I don't see anything wrong in a sales person saying "I know you were after "A", but would you be interested in "B" if the deal was great"... Thats basic sales - and often the customer appreciates it and does indeed get a better deal.

The fact is though, if the customer says "no" and wants to pursuit the original idea - that should be respected and taken seriously. Unfortunately not everyone listens as well as they talk!

Except it gets annoying when the conversation goes a little like this -

"Im looking for an RX450h F Sport"

"what colour are you interested in"

"I like the White"

"Well we have a white RX450h SE-L outside that I can give you a £7k discount on"

"Im looking for an F Sport, not an SE-L"

"We cant do that kind of a deal on the F Sport, we have another SE-L in black if you want"

"Im not interested in the SE-L, I want an F Sport"

"we currently have a £2k towards your deposit offer on the SE-L outside"

"im paying with cash and I want an F Sport"

"You'll get a better deal overall if you take out the PCP with £2k deposit contribution on the SE-L"

He almost sounded like a BMW dealer

PS

Actually a kerbed wheel repaired to Lexus standards would be very cheap indeed......it only needs to last 12 1/2 months :whistling:

PS

Actually a kerbed wheel repaired to Lexus standards would be very cheap indeed......it only needs to last 12 1/2 months :whistling:

TBF it only costs like £85 + VAT a wheel. Not bad, however, be prepared to pay double as they cant match the bloody paint on the wheels!!

I noticed on the latest Lexus ad campaign for the IS300H both on TV and billboard posters the car used is a white one.

Perhaps it's the one from Lexus Stoke :) :) :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links