Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hands Free Is Poop!

Loz

I have a fully compliant hands free kit fitted in my LEXUS.

I use it driving and preferably stationary. I called wildernes on it yesterday while driving to my hotel in Aylesbury. I had just about said "hello, mate!" when I realised I had nearly missed my turn off so I checked quickly and figured if I braked just hard enough I could pull in front of the car transporter behind me on the inside lane and then gun it so I didn't get a green focus up the jaxi! I did this and got away with it. the truck beeped at me for shocking him no doubt and justifiably.

I got off the motorway and onto the A34 and was fine. had I not been on the phone though and concentrating more on the road it would never have happened.

Sure, could have made a judgment call to carry on to the next exit but I was distracted and made an almost reflex reaction on the variables as I saw them. It tells me that talking on the phone and driving may demand too much attention to be done at the same time in some circumstances.

OBVIOUSLY, had I been holding the phone it would have been far more risky but thats not really the point.

Happy to discuss.

:zee:

They should have introduced a total ban on mobile phones in cars rather than this new law that doesn't solve anything.

I agree.

I'm as guilty as the next man for talking & driving.......in de past.

I ignore it now unless it rings in a certain pattern then I'll stop & see what Mrs E want me to do :crybaby:

So should they ban talking in the car as well or taking your hands off the s/wheel to change channels on the radio or just generally talking and a host of other things that CAN distract you whilst driving.There are some peeps that CAN multitask.

The law is an ***

B) B)

What's the difference between talking on hands free and chatting to a passenger?

Obviously if you get a call or want to make one it's better to do it whilst you're stationary, especially if it's work and you need to concentrate on stuff, but I don't see the issue in chatting whilst you're driving if you're sensible and use your common sense.

So should they ban talking in the car as well or taking your hands off the s/wheel to change channels on the radio or just generally talking and a host of other things that CAN distract you whilst driving.There are some peeps that CAN multitask.

The law is an ***

B) B)

totally agree Pete, how can the law differentiate between talking to persons in the car, and talking on a hands free phone..

How is fiddling with the stereo safer than pressing a button on the hands free..

why is smoking at the wheel tolerated.

Is this new law to save lives like the speed cameras?

Its been proved that they dont work either as the level of accidents at black spots (where they have cams)

the accident rate has stayed the same but the level of revenue and points on drivers license has increased

dramatically.

Can someone tell me the difference between a proffesionally fitted(expensive)car kit.......and Bluetooth?

as they are BOTH hands free but B/Tooth is illegal.

B) B)

I have a fully compliant hands free kit fitted in my LEXUS.

I use it driving and preferably stationary. I called wildernes on it yesterday while driving to my hotel in Aylesbury. I had just about said "hello, mate!" when I realised I had nearly missed my turn off so I checked quickly and figured if I braked just hard enough I could pull in front of the car transporter behind me on the inside lane and then gun it so I didn't get a green focus up the jaxi! I did this and got away with it. the truck beeped at me for shocking him no doubt and justifiably.

I got off the motorway and onto the A34 and was fine. had I not been on the phone though and concentrating more on the road it would never have happened.

:zee:

i nearly wet myself when i herd the horn from the lorry :blink:

What's the difference between talking on hands free and chatting to a passenger?

If a passenger is in the car with you, they can see when you need to concentrate, and understand periods of silence. A mobile caller however cannot see you, and may not even be aware of the fact you are driving. They may regard a short period of silence as simply a loss of signal and repeat what they have just said. I would also say the speech clarity of some phones can be rather poor, making you concentrate harder on what the caller is saying.

Having said that, I must confess that I found answering my mobile or ending a call the most hazardous as it required me to take my hands off the wheel.

Having said that, I must confess that I found answering my mobile or ending a call the most hazardous as it required me to take my hands off the wheel.

As does turning the volume up,as does changing a CD,as does getting something from the G/Box?

the list is endless.

B) B)

At the end of the day it's down to the driver. If you feel nervous when answering a phonecall while driving then you aren't confident in your ability, so don't do it.

If you don't feel nervous (and have blackened glass so no-one can see you no your mobile) then talk away.

Seriously, I nearly always answer my phone and always make sure it's handy before I start driving so I don't need to faff around looking for it while I'm driving. When I get a call I don't even need to look at the phone to answer it or hang up.

My input.

Cheers, be safe.

When I get a call I don't even need to look at the phone to answer it or hang up.

My input.

Cheers, be safe.

nor do you need to when talking or listening to passengers or the radio..

What about when a good song come son the radio or cd,, and you sing along to it, your then concentrating on the song rather than the road.. same difference in my view as a a telecon.

Loz......you've started something here my son? :lol::lol:

B) B)

But being an unlucky kinda chap i conformed and bought B/Tooth and can answer/end call/voice call without touching the phone

so in my eyes its safe.

So be safe out there peeps....dont let them drag you down.

B) B)

I agree that it does distract your attention, but less though on hands free. What I find is just as bad though is the sat nav. Whenever I am in London, I spend half the time looking down at the screen looking for the next turning or a shorter route to avoid traffic.

It is obviously better than a paper map, but I have found that since I have had the sat nav, I am ducking and diving much more whereas with a map, you have a good read of it when your stationary and stick to the plan.

You do always have the choice just to listen to the voice rather than looking at the screen but it is difficult. The distraction is one of the reasons why the warning message is displayed when you first use the system.

I like the position of the IS screen. I was driving down some B roads the other day that I didn't know and looking at the map screen was like having a co-driver, you could tell how tight the bends were and knew what gear to approach them in and with the screen so high you didn't take your eyes off the road.

:offtopic:

I know what your saying. The GS screen position is too low - I had an X5 and the screen is quite high and easy to glance at.

What I was getting at though is that without satnav you just accept the route you have chosen whereas with it, you spend more time reading it to see whsat to do next.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links