Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have received an email through the club for a 24 hour test drive on either a CT, IS, GS or NX. First of all, a little annoyed there is no LS option - after all, we are all LS drivers. Secondly, its been three days since I applied. Would of thought a call within 24 hours would be appropriate.

You see, its this small matter that lets Lexus down nowadays. If you want to be the best, you have to act accordingly and in this day and age if your not fast your last.

I actually get a better service from my local Kia dealership than I do Lexus. Maybe its just me.

It isn't just you, Lexus service is no where near where it used to be.

Not really surprised about the LS test drive though, half the dealers probably don't even have one available. For the first 9 months of the year only 26 have been sold so I'm sure they feel that most enquiries are just wasting their time, but I'm sure if you are serious a dealer will give you a 24 hour test drive with or without the club offer.

It should not be like this. If I want sub standard service I don't have to look far. Lexus should be special in every sense of the word.

No LS demonstrators, not surprised either. But it should not be this way. They should be doing things differently like they did with the LS in the beginning. If it was not for the LS I own now I very much doubt Lexus would be at the top of my car list. They should be so good at what they do that you should be left in no doubt that Lexus is something special. From the car to the service. From the courtesy letter every so often to the whole sales experience. Even there coffee should be special. And the sad thing is, it was special. Not anymore.

All this junk about amazing in motion. More like shocking in a standstill.

I have received an email through the club for a 24 hour test drive on either a CT, IS, GS or NX. First of all, a little annoyed there is no LS option - after all, we are all LS drivers. Secondly, its been three days since I applied. Would of thought a call within 24 hours would be appropriate.

You see, its this small matter that lets Lexus down nowadays. If you want to be the best, you have to act accordingly and in this day and age if your not fast your last.

I actually get a better service from my local Kia dealership than I do Lexus. Maybe its just me.

I have to say that when I applied Lexus Poole responded early the next day having confirmed by email that they'd received my request and I'm collecting an si 300 Executive tomorrow

Also as I understand it LS's are available if they're on the branch fleet and the Dealer Principal hasn't taken it on his hols

Which dealership were you applying for Jeezy?

Back in August I rang Lexus Swindon to ask for an IS300h for test drive the following Monday. This was arranged immediately and on Monday I picked up the car. As soon as we got onto the M4 heading west we realised it was too noisy - I couldn't hear my wife speak. We made some sound measurements at steady 70mph and recorded levels between 75 and 80dB. The noise was tyre roar. I could not hear the engine. We took the first exit and went back. I don't think anyone had ever taken a car back because of noise before. It was on 17" rims and the low-profile though not run-flat tyres are noisier than tyres on 16" wheels. (The added noise though the speakers was off.)

We got back in our 1998 GS300 and continued west. On the same stretches of M4 at same speed the GS measured 70 to 75dB. The old GS was also more comfortable! I do have hearing problems so noise is an issue.

I guess I am the wrong demographic for an IS. I should have asked for a GS and indeed I now have a 2007 450h which is even quieter than our old GS. I don't have dB measurements yet as I've not been down that bit of M4 since.

J

Well, I was looking at trying the NX model as I have an interest in getting something a little higher off the ground. I have driven an RX hybrid (2007 model) which was not bad and was not great (steering seemed to be pulling on this one). Anyway, I left it and just kept things the way they are. However, the problem with the LS is I don't want to use it every day although I would love to. I actually thought about getting another one, preferably a mk4 and making it a LPG. I have never had LPG or even wanted to consider it, but then after reading a few articles and seeing one on the club site that was converted makes me think that it might be a realistic option. I do need something to general mileage and achieve at least 30-35mpg as my driving is mostly done in town and city centres.

The Carlisle branch is my local centre and I am sure I selected them on the list when going through the options.

Choose another dealer - Lexus Carlisle is **** anyway - they hardly sell any used Lexus and have resorted to selling other brands "approved used" under the Lexus banner - SHOCKING!

And what would that be?

If this is an 'image' problem based on a name and a photograph on a forum then there assumptions are going to cost them money. Not everyone walks into a prestige dealership wearing a suit you know. Dangerous to judge a book based on its cover.

I remember a great story some years ago. I was visiting a client of mine called Alan, who was a second hand car dealer. He usually buys and sells average used cars. Anyway, one day he was doing the gardening on a very rare day off and realised that he needed more compost. He got into his old pick up, drove to B&Q and got the goods. While in the car park there was a brand new Mercedes CL500. He had never seen the car before. As chances would have it, the owner walked to the car while Alan was looking at it.

After an hour later, Alan was in love (with the car that is). Now, Alan has a few quid. He has never been one for going for the 'look at me' persona. So, he got in his old rusty pickup, still in his gardening gear, and drove to the MB dealer. Walked inside, looked around, spotted the showroom CL in the corner and went over to it. 5 minutes passed. Nothing. 15 minutes passed. No one even said hello. Then, as he was walking round the car a salesman said 'what do you want'. 'What do you want?' Alan said. 'Hello for one, can I HELP you for seconds' and three 'no you bloody can not'. Walked out and went home.

Turns out, Alan buys cars from this particular dealers group (trade ins). If it was not for the admin lady upstairs noticing this all unfold from her office, and then telling the sales manager that one of the groups best trade buyers has just walked out of the dealership in an angry mood because the uptight salesman who thinks hes better than Alan (because hes wearing a suit and has some MB business cards) then Alan would have bought a £75k car elsewhere. Needless to say the salesman no longer works for the group and furthermore, this just shows you that if you base your assumptions on looks alone without interacting and dealing with the person directly then you are barking up the wrong tree.

And what would that be?

If this is an 'image' problem based on a name and a photograph on a forum then there assumptions are going to cost them money. Not everyone walks into a prestige dealership wearing a suit you know. Dangerous to judge a book based on its cover.

I think it was a joke :)

I agree with Rayann in respect of his" Carlisle Lexus Description" ,many years ago when my mark1 was about 10 years old I mulled over the idea of downsizing to a 300 . I trawled the web for local dealers and the only one that had anything was Carlisle. The Scottish dealerships were not in existence then apart from Arnold Clark who have since lost theirs.

I made an appointment for a saturday morning and duly arrived on time after the 120 mile journey.The salesmen (I use the word salesmen in a generic sense because he was'nt my Idea of one) I had spoken to on the phone did not appear for another fifteen minutes as he was talking to someone who had just walked in off the street and shown an interest in something.

He eventually came over and said the car I was viewing needed a wash so that was being done now,another 15 minutes went buy and a very harassed guy screamed into view with the car.It had not been chamied and was dripping wet the engine bay looked like a building site had been dropped in and this salesman started pulling out wreathes of paperwork from a file proclaiming how clean and well looked after this wreck was.I stopped his waffle and directed him to my Mark I and lifted the bonnet I told him in no uncertain terms that what he was looking at was looked after ,got in my car drove away never to go near the place again .I do drive by on the M6 and can see the sign thinking what a lucky escape I had.

................ I had a similar experience at the Excel Boat Show a couple of years back.

The Range Rover stand was there with several really good looking and quite expensive cars for sale. A bevy of salespeople and many free to engage with ME, needless to say not one did, me being dressed down in jeans etc, ...................manning our Queenborough Harbour Trust stand at the Boat Show.

I was in the mood to maybe buy a replacement car for my gf ( and still running her 1994 Mazda 323f ) and whilst A £100k price tag was a bit eye watering ........... certainly wasn't beyond my grasp !!!

I just don't usually look the part.

And when I was a car dealer many years ago I learnt NEVER to underestimate any potential buyer, many of the quite ordinary and sometimes less than ordinary guys in our field of business were ( then anyway ) not short of a bob or two !!

Malc

About 18 months ago went to Cheltenham dealer with the missus as she was looking for a new car. I was trying to get her to look at a Lexus, so we drove in and had a look around.

Not one person took any interest in talking to us, so we eventually left.

I wonder if it was because we were in her really beat up old Honda rather than the LS????

Must admit though that the newer Lexus models I poked my head into did not get either of us excited.

I always recall the time when a scruffy bloke walked into Barclays RR dealer in Berkeley Square London. The commissionaire was about to remove him when one salesman asked him what he wanted, he replied "that" pointing at a Silver Cloud. He then produced the cash from a carrier bag. Never ever judge a boo by its cover as they say

Back in August I rang Lexus Swindon to ask for an IS300h for test drive the following Monday. This was arranged immediately and on Monday I picked up the car. As soon as we got onto the M4 heading west we realised it was too noisy - I couldn't hear my wife speak. We made some sound measurements at steady 70mph and recorded levels between 75 and 80dB. The noise was tyre roar. I could not hear the engine. We took the first exit and went back. I don't think anyone had ever taken a car back because of noise before. It was on 17" rims and the low-profile though not run-flat tyres are noisier than tyres on 16" wheels. (The added noise though the speakers was off.)

We got back in our 1998 GS300 and continued west. On the same stretches of M4 at same speed the GS measured 70 to 75dB. The old GS was also more comfortable! I do have hearing problems so noise is an issue.

I guess I am the wrong demographic for an IS. I should have asked for a GS and indeed I now have a 2007 450h which is even quieter than our old GS. I don't have dB measurements yet as I've not been down that bit of M4 since.

J

80 dB is ridiculous, it is the first action level under the Noise at Work regs, at which hearing protection must be provided. Noise is a killer for me, and I once sold on a Skoda Octavia Scout very quickly because of road noise. I would not have expected it to be a problem in a Lexus, and must be careful when I change my car not to make assumptions based on my LS experience

J

80 dB is ridiculous, it is the first action level under the Noise at Work regs, at which hearing protection must be provided. Noise is a killer for me, and I once sold on a Skoda Octavia Scout very quickly because of road noise. I would not have expected it to be a problem in a Lexus, and must be careful when I change my car not to make assumptions based on my LS experience

Thats odd, I have an IS300h, not much road noise at all - only slightly louder than my RX. Its running on the 18" with 225 front and 255 rear so not exactly small sizes

I recently picked up my son and daughter-in-law from Heathrow airport and neither of them had ever been in my LS before. As we set off, (admittedly, only driving slowly) my son exclaimed " Wow, you can't hear this car". I simply replied "It's a Lexus".

• Like 2

If you have an iPad it is easy to make the measurement I did. There is a little app "Decibel 10th." It was free but might not be now. (I can't tell as I have it and that stops price being shown.) Whatever it should be less than £1.

Get a passenger to lay the iPad on the central armrest and measure away. You really should be at the same speed on the same road surface for the measurements to be valuable but they are interesting. I don't know what the variation on the same noise might be from one iPad to another.

The lower the profile the more the tyre noise. Run-flat are even worse. There is a big difference in the level from different road surfaces.

The ability to filter out the background noise diminishes with age.

J

Picked up 24hr loan Lexus si300h today. Have only driven about 35mls home & to Waitrose, but have to say its a lovely motor, lots of toys and drives well...........so far shall put it through its paces tomorrow before posting again

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links