Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Silent Running.....................again!

A little while ago I started this thread

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104842-silence-is-goldenor-not-as-the-case-may-be/

and got a few interesting replies.

This week my wife collected her brand new Toyota yaris Sport hybrid and, every time that she pulls off the drive, the car is totally silent. It doesn't matter what the weather is, it is always the same. Still can't get my car to behave in the same way.

A little while ago I started this threadhttp://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104842-silence-is-goldenor-not-as-the-case-may-be/and got a few interesting replies.This week my wife collected her brand new Toyota yaris Sport hybrid and, every time that she pulls off the drive, the car is totally silent. It doesn't matter what the weather is, it is always the same. Still can't get my car to behave in the same way.

Very odd, and it really doesnt inspire confidence when a car from the 'budget' end of the company is quieter than one from the premier end........using Toyota logic, a Prius can only be smoother than a ct200h.

Hi Paul, I'm not saying that my wife's car is quieter than mine, more that my engine cuts in within a shorter time after starting up than hers does. My wife can start her car up and reverse off the drive and shoot off and she is still on electric whereas I'm on petrol well before reversing off. Next time I go out in the Yaris, I will try to take note of when the engine first cuts in.

A little while ago I started this thread

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/104842-silence-is-goldenor-not-as-the-case-may-be/

and got a few interesting replies.

This week my wife collected her brand new Toyota yaris Sport hybrid and, every time that she pulls off the drive, the car is totally silent. It doesn't matter what the weather is, it is always the same. Still can't get my car to behave in the same way.

I`ll bet that someone on the Toyota Yaris Forum can tell you Bluey!

Regards

John

I'm thinking that way too.

I think my engi?ne cuts in too soon in he morning, i'm wondering whether it's because the climate control is on and weather s cold..

Bad batteries ?

Guys the IS300H ISNT a electric car. The EV mode is really there just to improve fuel economy and let the petrol engine run the Atkins combustion cycle.

As the weather is now cold the batteries become less efficient at discharging, and as far as I'm aware unlike a Battery EV, the IS300H doesn't have a heat pump, so needs the heat from the petrol engine to generate heat for the climate control system.

Any faults in the hybrid system will be picked up by self diagnostics. If you want silent electric running all the time, there are plenty of alternative cars on the market now that will do that - 12 months old 85kWh Tesla's have just fallen into the sub £50K mark :).

Agree with Gang, the electric motor is more of a support function. If you turn the air con off and have the car in EV from start you might get a few yards further before it deactivates itself. During the winter short journeys play havoc with the mpg as the car is 99% running as a heavy petrol car.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Guys the IS300H ISNT a electric car. The EV mode is really there just to improve fuel economy and let the petrol engine run the Atkins combustion cycle.

As the weather is now cold the batteries become less efficient at discharging, and as far as I'm aware unlike a battery EV, the IS300H doesn't have a heat pump, so needs the heat from the petrol engine to generate heat for the climate control system.

Any faults in the hybrid system will be picked up by self diagnostics. If you want silent electric running all the time, there are plenty of alternative cars on the market now that will do that - 12 months old 85kWh Tesla's have just fallen into the sub £50K mark :).

Come to think of it, the IS batteries are heated up using exhaust gases so Id expect the engine to run to heat it up.

I hope those Tesla's arent anywhere near 60k miles ......... :whistling:

Hi guys,

my car does the same, no matter whether is cold or hot wheather, but it only does it when the engine is cold, so I think its all about the warming up the engine. You have to warm the engine first, than you can go in full EV mode. So there is no way to get off your house in EV silent mode in the morning....you can only do it when you arrive .)

Pav.

Beg to differ on this, but I can drive down a long drive from my house & then down another road before the engine cuts in on my 300h F-Sport.

This is if the Battery has about 75% charge & air con off seat heater on & rear screen & mirrors on in eco mode.

You do have to be gentle & you cannot go up any sort of incline.

The most distance I have driven is about 1.5 miles on Battery if the car has been used & is warmed up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

With the RX, the engine cuts in almost immediately after starting. However, this can be delayed by 1) switching the aircon off as suggested by Luigi above, or 2) forcing the car into EV mode only.

Immediately after starting the car, if you press the menu button on the steering wheel, the default display will show EV Mode on/off and you can then force the car to switch to EV. There are two restrictions: the Battery needs to have sufficient charge (it seems to be around 50% min) and you have to go through the procedure within 10 to 15 seconds of starting the car. After that the option to force EV mode is no longer available.

I leave home at 6am most morning, so tend to use this so as to not wake the family up.

You might want to check if a similar procedure exists with the IS... otherwise all you can do is switch the aircon off as soon as you start the car...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links