Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Always Buying The 'underdog', Am I Alone?

Looking back over my car history I always seem to buy the 'underdog'. This was generally on a bang for buck basis in the early years and as budgets have stretched it has become more to do with exclusivity, ownership experience, does it make me 'fizz' etc

1. I bought a Skoda Fabia VRS instead of a Polo GTI or Seat Ibiza

2. I then bought a Mazda 3 MPS instead of a Astra VXR or Golf GTI/R32

3. I then bought a Mazda RX8 instead of a Nissan 350z or Honda S2k

4. I then bought the ISF instead of an M3 or C63

5. Most recently I bought mu Lotus Evora S SR instead of a 911 Carrera S.

I also purchased a mazda 323 instead of a leon and a golf at some stage.

None of this was done knowingly and there is a clear trend there of Japanese cars over VAG. Just struck me as a little odd.

Stu

I had a habit of buying old Rovers when I started driving, same engine as the Honda counterparts but cheaper to buy despite having a better level of trim and spec.

Went for the Galant VR4 over an Evo as it's more leftfield, somewhat stealthier and cheaper to boot.

Planning to go for an ISF over the C63/M3 alternatives.

What was your MPS like? Would you recommend them? A mate it looking to switch from his prefacelift EP3 Type R and the MPS is on the shortlist. I'm guessing it will be a little less focused than the Type R but more scope for power increase and newer than the EP3.

I had that mk1 with the aero kit. I really liked it for what it was. 256hp as standard, half leather interior, Bose sound system etc etc. Torque steer is limited in first and second as well as depending on steering wheel angle. It all helps but does not eliminate torque steer completely. The aero is the one to go for as it comes on lowered eibach springs. It's a lot bigger than your mates car and will feel it. Still handle well when compared to its competition and posts similar lap times. Easily tuneable being a turbo but I believe you need to start replacing internals over 300ish bhp.

It's a pretty quick, very practical, good handling hot hatch. I never drove the mk2 so not sure about those.

• Like 1

Looking back over my car history I always seem to buy the 'underdog'. This was generally on a bang for buck basis in the early years and as budgets have stretched it has become more to do with exclusivity, ownership experience, does it make me 'fizz' etc

1. I bought a Skoda Fabia VRS instead of a Polo GTI or Seat Ibiza

2. I then bought a Mazda 3 MPS instead of a Astra VXR or Golf GTI/R32

3. I then bought a Mazda RX8 instead of a Nissan 350z or Honda S2k

4. I then bought the ISF instead of an M3 or C63

5. Most recently I bought mu Lotus Evora S SR instead of a 911 Carrera S.

I also purchased a mazda 323 instead of a leon and a golf at some stage.

None of this was done knowingly and there is a clear trend there of Japanese cars over VAG. Just struck me as a little odd.

Stu

I would not describe this as choosing the "underdog" - you are obviously a person who does not wish to follow the crowd. I also like cars that are more exclusive and I would concur with your choices!

I would choose "Japanese" over Germanic makes everytime. Had a Golf, had a BMW 5 series - no thanks!

• Like 1

It's a pretty quick, very practical, good handling hot hatch. I never drove the mk2 so not sure about those.

Cheers for the info. He is looking at the mk1 but given how long it takes him to make a decision he might be looking for a while!

• Like 1

Have driven company cars for the most part. Sierras, Passats, Accords etc.

When it came to owning my own car about 10 years ago I went for Saab.

Have had 2 Saab 9-5s and the last two we had (at the same time) were 2 9-3 Aeros, a Spacewagon (estate) and a Convertible. Marvellous cars, if they were still being made I probably wouldn't have discovered Lexus.

Have no inclination whatsoever for BMW or Audi, I am unable to drive in such a selfish and arrogant manner !

• Like 1

I've never owned a car that delighted Autocar, What Car? or any other of those dreadful rags; my history has Austin, Morris, Fiat and Nissan in the ranks. I don't ever see myself in an Audi or VW, just not me. An old Lexus suits me just fine.

I dont like to follow the crowd and tend to buy unique cars.

A Rover Mini when I was 17 vs the Corsa/Golf/Polo's of the time

MG TF instead of MX5/Toyota MRS

Crossfire instead of 350z etc

Soon an ISF.

Although I honestly think in my case I just want the best BHP:GBP ratio.

• Like 1

To be honest I've had many leftfield choices, scattered with some conventional choices. I've had a couple of Seat Ibiza Cupra's, Alfa156 V6 SP2, and the IS-F and id argue the 135i was also leftfield to, given how few there are.

I guess I'm in something fairly "obvious choice" now but to be honest I never buy by brand more about what the cars like and if it appeals.

Think of some of these cars less as 'underdogs', more of cars with soul and character!

I've driven a new-ish M3 recently, and whilst it was probably slightly better in almost every way than my ISF, it felt sterile and a bit unexciting. In comparison, the ISF has (imo) a bit too much power for the chassis, which makes it lairy, too loud and so, so much fun! Just because the journos argue it's not a class leader, doesn't make it a bad car.

My 'toy' is a Honda S2000. Not as nimble as an Elise, not as controllable as a MX5, not as powerful as a Boxster and not really very tuneable. It puts a massive smile on my face however, and it'd have to be an astonishingly good machine to persuade me jump ship!

I think we need a few sub folders in the ISF section for things like 'General Chat', 'Other Cars' etc. can that be done?

Eh?

Surely "general chat" is not model specific, and that is the point?

My first car was a G Reg Honda Civic 1.4, next car was 97 Accord, then jumped ship to 2003 Vauxhall Astra SRi hated it in the end, went back to Honda Civic sport EP2, should've got the Type R, then 5 yrs later got the FN2 Civic Type R loved it, now the IS F -- even better! Too many BMW etc on road but do like them, but I do like Japanese cars the best!

My BMW was much younger than my present Lexus, I feel they are very over rated. I should have looked at the paperwork more closely before I bought the car. It did have a full BMW service history and a stack of receipts. When I found time to go through them I could not believe how many things had gone wrong with it. It was certainly a Friday car!

First car was a brand new rover 25 1.4 impression with wood trim. People laughed but 8 years did not cause me much pain, unlike my corsa sri 1.6t remapped to 222 bhp and gearbox went.

Got a boring astra diesel at minute but am always on a look out - hoping this year or early next year is the time for me to get a ISF. Need a v8 although merc c63 values are falling a little bit now - the joy of cheap lease deals!

Expect the golf r to follow as well. Can see me having the isf for a year at least and then downgrading to a m135i or a 335i, have that for a year and then end up back in a diesel crap box due to the kids!

My first car was definitely left field, 17 years old I bought a VW K70L ( Google it) 1800ccc twincam if I remember correctly and front wheel drive and my god did it understeer, everywhere.

Moved onto Saab 99, Alfa sprint veloce, Carlton 3000gsi, Capri 3,0S and 25 years later very content in an IS-F.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links