Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New car (slight problem)

Picked up my is300h yesterday : F sport in celestial black with ML and leather pack. 

I've now had the trio: IS200, IS250 and now this!

Anyway, torrential rain yesterday (bloomin kryptonite to a black car) and I tried the auto wipers. Nothing happened. If I turned the dial down it would do nothing, but if I turned it up it would just do one flick and nothing more. 

Pulled over and RTFM. Pretty sure I'm not doing anything stupid but I can't seem to get the intermittent wipers to work either. 

I'm heading back to delearship on Tuesday to pick up boot liner, but before I make an arse of myself, is there something I'm missing or has anyone heard of this fault?

Hi, sounds nice post some picks when you can.

The wipers take a bit of getting used to. There is a button on the end of the right stalk to put auto wipers on and off. When they are on there is a green LED that is lit on the stalk. The sensitivity can be changed by the dial on the stalk. Push up once and the wipers do a wipe but it stays in auto. Flick the stalk down once (it returns to the position like the indicators) and it changes to intermittent down again on slow, down again on fast. Flick up and it goes from fast to slow etc.

Best to keep them in auto with green LED showing and adjust sensitivity via the dial.

Hope that helps.

Paul

• Like 1

Cheers both. Will post pics in the next few days :)

I'll try what you say later today. But from memory yesterday when it was chucking it down I had the LED light on, pressing down kept them on, but when there was just a bit of drizzle it was still either on or off, and no sign of the intermittent wipers working at all. I'll go out today and poor some water over it and see if it at least activates the autos....

P.S I'm smitten :)

Update:

Auto definitely doesn't work. If I move the stalk in either direction when the auto button is on, it just turns it off. Also still can't get intermittent to work when moving. It seems to work as described in the manual, but as soon as the car's moving it's either on or off, no intermittent.

All under warranty, so I'm not worried, I'm guessing it's a mixture of software and a failure of the sensor module.

35 minutes ago, Martin F said:

Have a look and see if you have the original windscreen or if it's been replaced. 

If it's original it will have the Lexus emblem in the bottom passengers side corner. 

I had a GS450h couple of years back and unknown to me windscreen had been replaced and the gel pad went away with old screen and no replacement fitted so no ends of trying to get it to work would it....

the gel pad (at least on the gs450H ) was fitted to sensor on top centre of windscreen (inside lol) 

But replacement windscreens should have it included. Had the windscreen replaced on my Merc, and the auto wiper works ok. 

BTW. New here. Bought a new used IS250 yesterday and awaiting delivery on Thursday! 

37 minutes ago, nakulan7 said:

But replacement windscreens should have it included. Had the windscreen replaced on my Merc, and the auto wiper works ok. 

BTW. New here. Bought a new used IS250 yesterday and awaiting delivery on Thursday! 

Not if they didn't fit it properly. I had the windscreen on my previous RX changed after a 5cm wide rock hit it at 70mph and put a 30cm crack in it. After that the auto wipers didnt work like before.

So yes, as mentioned check that the windscreen hasn't been replaced by looking for the Lexus emblem.

Then, make sure the green LED is on and put the sensitivity to the middle.

Chuck some water on it from outside (the rain sensor is on the passenger side) to check if it is actually working. 

However having said that, they do seem to struggle in very light drizzle but work perfectly in normal rain.

Hi all,

Checked the logo, definitely there. Tried chucking water over all with the LED on and set in various positions on the dial, nothing happens.

Guess I'll know more on Tuesday when I'm back at the dealership. Thanks to all for posting, I remember how helpful LOC can be, hope to be hanging around a bit more than I was with the last iS :)

Is the screen clean on the sensor area.  I doubt this will work but its just possible there is some waxy film covering it and preventing it from working properly. Either way hope its easily sorted.

I didn't realize the boot liner could be purchased on its own without the protection pack. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost? 

Will have a look tomorrow in the light. It did have a treatment of supaguard. Wouldn't have thought it would have made its way on the windshield but you never know. 

Boot liner's £90.  

One more question....

On my 250 the lights would balance on start up on account of the weight in the car and you could visibly see the lights move up and down. 

I thought the 300h did this as well and I'm sure I read in the manual that this is a feature. Did I imagine it?

Hope you didn't pay for that boot liner?!! I always agree on a price and then say "oh wait,  I need a boot liner" and they're like "yeah that'll be £___". So of course I just say "screw that then, I'll go elsewhere". Works every,  single, time!!

Hmm can't remember seeing my IS ones move on startup at night either hmm. 

I think you may have a faulty sensor for the auto wipers

Yeah I got a deal on the boot liner, basically chucked in the two cargo nets :)

I wonder if the levelling occurs before startup then, hence why you don't see the lights go up and down as in the 250?

Yep, was the sensor. The screens been replaced at some point (Lexus logo still present so they must have done it) and the gel was missing from the sensor. 

The lights don't auto-level like they do in the 250. It's set by how many are in the car (presumably isn't automatic).

got they to quote for dash cam fitting as well. My anxiety driving around and more so when parked is off the scale. I found myself parking at a supermarket car park yesterday waiting for the car beside me to drive off before I went inside :/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tHomBleached said:

got they to quote for dash cam fitting as well. My anxiety driving around and more so when parked is off the scale. I found myself parking at a supermarket car park yesterday waiting for the car beside me to drive off before I went inside :/

Glad you said that, my wife thinks that I'm the only person in the world that does that sort of thing!

5 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

Glad you said that, my wife thinks that I'm the only person in the world that does that sort of thing!

I am always getting grief from my wife for parking so far away in a quiet spot. I now try to park next to other newer clean expensive cars as I always come out and find a shed next to mine if I park in an empty area.

I always park far away or in child spaces (with kids obviously). I never try to fit it in any spaces I think are too small either - otherwise some nut is bound to try and get out of his car and prang the doors. Luckily have not had a single incident in over 4 years.

I've been in that situation before - park as far away as possible to anything and come back to a shed next to me. I think people do it on purpose, as they know what kind of neurosis they're inflicting on people :wacko:

Parking next to another decent motor seems to be the best way to go, and (as I did yesterday); park at intu Derby, literally run to the shop I needed to, and then sprint back to the car :whistling1:

dashcam is £300 fitted (front/rear). It's got offline sensors that activate if there's any motion near the car, so should put (some) of my anxiety to bed. Doesn't help if someone opens their door against my beauty though (no side cameras - not even sure that those exist?). Looks like the best price I can find the unit is £200, I'm comfortable with Lexus fitting as they'll do a tidy job and take car with it.

Driving to Paris next Thursday so desperately want to get it done before then.

I park away from other cars/trolleys, as well.

Would rather walk an extra 50 yards and be dent free!

( Glad the issue is fixed now ! )

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links