Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My paint is looking very worn, it scratches really easily and lots of stonechips everywhere. My detailer says a full respray is needed. Does anyone have any experience in having a car sprayed? 

I also need to decide if I stick with the standard flat black or change for something different. The choice is metallic black, lotus racing green or matt grey like my wife's car. What do you think? 

2017-04-02 20.36.00.jpg

20160325_120919.jpg

• Like 1

If you have an eye on resale, I would stick with one of the oem colours, maybe the very rare nebula grey would be an option? You could also see if in the flesh of you drive to the dealer. If you just want if for your enjoyment, just choose the colour you like the most and bugger anyone else 👍 

• Like 2

No experience of a respray Russell, but Mrs Ledzep would love that Veloster.  She had the Hyundai coupe a few years ago.

On the respray issue......my gut feel is to keep it original, for resale reasons if nothing else.  I tend to change my cars frequently, so I would say that.

• Like 2

I would stick with the original as changing the colour would be far harder and more expensive to do properly. Wrapping looks best when it's deliberately dramatic in my opinion. 

As much as I admire the work they do, detailers can become obsessed with their art and forget that a car is more than skin deep. Would spraying the front bumper and bonnet not restore it to good order? That's usually what the dealers do to make us believe every one of their forecourt beauties has LED a sheltered life.

5 hours ago, Neil E said:

I would stick with the original as changing the colour would be far harder and more expensive to do properly. Wrapping looks best when it's deliberately dramatic in my opinion. 

As much as I admire the work they do, detailers can become obsessed with their art and forget that a car is more than skin deep. Would spraying the front bumper and bonnet not restore it to good order? That's usually what the dealers do to make us believe every one of their forecourt beauties has led a sheltered life.

Agreed, a detailers idea of good paint will be completely different to 99% of the population.  

Also, as said above, without a full strip down it's really hard to do a colour change properly.  You would end up with a black engine bay and stuff.

A wrap sounds like a good idea if the paint does bother you.  You can literally have any colour you want and it tends to be cheaper.  May be worth considering a clear wrap to protect paint work.

As above. Consider the resale value of that means something to you then stay stock colour. I would consider carefully if this is worth it. A paint correction detail to the car may bring it to 90%. Then you are only left with a front end re-spray and touching in any other areas. Once done add ppf to the front of the car.

I wouldn't get a wrap. I have never seen a perfect one that doesn't have bubbles or sits flush with no gaps against all areas. Also, it will need repairing from time to time. 

I still think a detailer could bring the car up to better finish, the chap I used for a detail and minor machine polish etc, does offer an extensive paint correction 3-4 days.

Screenshot_20170403-090855.thumb.png.26a1d84a9a54a6d8843fec79a326b3e1.png

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I believe the consensus of opinion is that ALL IS-F's should be silver - just saying what I have read on this forum many times ........ possibly by the same author?

That @Big Rat is a tinker!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

My paint is looking very worn, it scratches really easily and lots of stonechips everywhere. My detailer says a full respray is needed. Does anyone have any experience in having a car sprayed? 

I also need to decide if I stick with the standard flat black or change for something different. The choice is metallic black, lotus racing green or matt grey like my wife's car. What do you think? 

2017-04-02 20.36.00.jpg

20160325_120919.jpg

@Rusty Crobar keep it standard matey those monochrome silvers and grey are very overrated 😏

🐀

• Like 1

I had a matte grey Giuietta and I don't think I'd buy another matte paint car.....shows up marks too easily and if it gets scratched or dented its not a simple to repair.

I would just get a respray in the original colour

• Like 1

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. 

It really is beyond paint correction, it's been done twice in 6 months and is still not great. Even gentle cleaning creates swirl marks and the paint is thin and super soft. 

I'm against a wrap simply because the paint underneath would still be rough once the wrap is removed. 

Not too bothered about resale as mine is one of the oldest and highest mileage examples plus it's modified, it'll always be at the bottom of price curve. 

I'll probably get it done in September so I'll speak to a body shop and see what they think. Sounds like I'll be sticking with black but quite tempted to go metallic. 

Does anyone know any special metallic blacks?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. 

It really is beyond paint correction, it's been done twice in 6 months and is still not great. Even gentle cleaning creates swirl marks and the paint is thin and super soft. 

I'm against a wrap simply because the paint underneath would still be rough once the wrap is removed. 

Not too bothered about resale as mine is one of the oldest and highest mileage examples plus it's modified, it'll always be at the bottom of price curve. 

I'll probably get it done in September so I'll speak to a body shop and see what they think. Sounds like I'll be sticking with black but quite tempted to go metallic. 

Does anyone know any special metallic blacks?

@Rusty Crobar Russ years ago I had BMW that was carbon black, check it out, I seem to remember it had a blue hue to it.

Big Rat

10 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Nice, that's the sort of thing I mean. Maybe one with a red tint 🤔

Honda do a colour called pirates black, had an accord type r and it is amazing!!!! Best colour ever.  Looks black until the light hits it then ... Shazam!!!!!

5f095921.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Big Rat said:

@Rusty Crobar Not my car but you can see the colour in this >

IMG_2605.thumb.PNG.d77b5bac52b7db251120e9fe5b2178f4.PNG

Think my brother in law had an E46 this colour and it does look good in the flesh.  All these types of colours really need a sunny day to get them to pop though, my Mess red ISF is the same, looks maroon most of the time.lol

DSC_0017-2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Rat said:

@Jgtcracer This magazine article I read years ago, it's on the forum in full a month or two ago, brought me to the car, wonder where that car is now ?

Big RatIMG_2607.thumb.GIF.55e8c9d1e7489b1b7bdc4588f8b022d4.GIF

Big Rat

I thought the few press fleet cars they had were grey?  There so few red ones about that it can't be too hard to find.  

I seen a blue ISF back in 08 and though, i need that car!!! Sounded brilliant and test drove the other V8s and had problems with all of them

Marcus

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links