Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

3 hours ago, Tulpen said:

I think the Web Host has updated this, and more, of its sites. Another site I use, completely different to the LOC (RV Park Reviews), was updated at exactly the same time. 

Yes, Toyota and Mercedes websites have been tickled too!

Warning: What I did today to my Lexus may upset some of you…

If you were born with a Silver clay Bar, you may want to stop now. Because today I handed my IS250 over to an Automotive Detailer for four days of washing, scrubbing, coating, recoating, ceramic coating and general primping inside and out.

Yes, rather than spend time and effort depleting my own stocks of assorted Autoglym and Simoniz products, I decided to invest some of the cash I’ve saved by not going anywhere this last year, by employing the services of someone who does it for a living.

I’d be interested in the experiences of anyone who’s had this done themselves, good or bad. What I have been told is: No more visits to the Car Wash. Which is ironic as that’s what my local Lexus dealer uses for their complementary valeting!

In brief, it seems to involve about ten different stages and four different coatings; two glass coatings on the body, one on the wheels and one on the glass. Oh, and he’s also replacing those clear protective strips on the body.

I’ll go into more detail (as it were) if anyone’s interested.

If it turns out to be money well spent, I’ll report back. Otherwise I’ll probably keep quiet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LenT said:

I’d be interested in the experiences of anyone who’s had this done themselves, good or bad. What I have been told is: No more visits to the Car Wash.

I did the same too a couple of years ago. Detailed and maintained my first Lexus myself, but by the time I got to my second one, I just handed the keys over to a professional detailer.

Here's his blog on my old car:

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=367764

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LexIS200Sport said:

I did the same too a couple of years ago. Detailed and maintained my first Lexus myself, but by the time I got to my second one, I just handed the keys over to a professional detailer.

Uau! Ganesh! What a difference! The car looked amazing after the work has been done on it! Money very well spent!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LenT said:

I’ll go into more detail (as it were) if anyone’s interested.

If it's not too rude, can I ask you the cost?  Thinking about something similar in the spring but still toying with the idea of doing it myself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LexIS200Sport said:

Thanks Ganesh.  A very nice record to have too.

If I end up with similar results I’ll be very satisfied.  The elimination of the swirl marks is particularly impressive.

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

@LenT please keep us updated on how it goes and attach some photos as well, would be good to see Before and After. 

I’ve not tried attaching anything so far, but if I can master the technology I’ll have a go.  A bit light on Before shots, unfortunately.  But it always looked pretty good to me.  However, as Ganesh demonstrates- and looking at the examples on my chap’s website - there’s clearly a quantum leap between my efforts and those of a dedicated professional.

It was ever thus!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brechin Slate said:

If it's not too rude, can I ask you the cost?  Thinking about something similar in the spring but still toying with the idea of doing it myself

Well, firstly it would certainly be cheaper to do it myself.  All I lack is the equipment, the materials, the knowledge and the expertise!

My chap offers a pick 'n mix selection of packages and optional upgrades.  I went for a 'Medium Car' package at £750 plus four upgrades, totalling about £1600 plus VAT.  But as I said, a lot of that I offset by calculating the fuel savings accrued by more than halving my annual mileage.

To put all that in perspective, here's an outline of the four day's work.

• Multiple stage wash removing potentially damaging material.
  • Engine bay cleaned and degreased.
  • Wheels removed, cleaned both sides.
  • Wheel wells degreased and decontaminated.
  • Chemical and claybar decontamination.
  • Paintwork assessment.
  • A 2-stage paintwork enhancement.
  • Interior detailing.
  • Glass cleaned and polished inside and out.
  • Multiple HD photos of detailing work (we shall see!)

Also:

• Application of Modesta BC-04 & Modesta BC-05 Glass coatings to bodywork to give a coating life of 8-10 years.
  • Application of baked-on ceramic protection for the wheels.
  • Application of a hydrophobic coating to the glass.
  • Removal and replacement of new laser-cut clear films on body panels.

Most persuasive of all, he initially described the IS as a 'lovely looking car'.  Clearly a man of discernment.

• Like 4

@LenT sounds like a lot of money but after reading what will be done I guess it's money well spent.

I was quoted £400 cash for 2-stage paint correction and ceramic coat protection, you have much more to get done to your car!

If he is doing HD photos, I am sure he will do Before&After photos.

11 hours ago, LexIS200Sport said:

Thanks Vlad.

To say I was chuffed would be a massive understatement. It felt so much better driving it afterwards, although nothing had changed mechanically!

I feel the same every time I service the car or after I give the car a good wash! 🙂

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

Does anybody know why this thread belongs now to LS400/LS430 etc section of the forum?

I thought it was a General Discussion Section initially.

Maybe, because cream always rises to the top.   😌

I know.......I'll get my coat!

• Haha 1

blimey, well done to spend all that money on glamming up your cars ............  mine and my usual mileage invariably end-up with some sort of car park dings and dents and scrapes somewhere etc

I'd be a little upset at seeing 3rd party, even very very slight damage to perfection in the finish .....  so I'll just leave it all for now methinks :wink3:

Malc

3 hours ago, Malc said:

... invariably end-up with some sort of car park dings and dents and scrapes somewhere etc

I'd be a little upset at seeing 3rd party, even very very slight damage to perfection in the finish ..... 

I agree Malcolm and I’d feel the same way.

I’m sure we’ve all been there, but frankly if you have a Lexus (or Merc, BMW, Porsche, Alfa, Lamborghini etc) my view is that you have to balance the pleasure of ownership and use against the risk that it could be the victim of an accident. Or, of course, that it’s a powerful Moron Magnet.

I try to be pragmatic about the sort of damage you describe - especially if I caused it!  In the worst cases, that’s what insurance is for.

The alternative, I suppose, is to treat nice cars as objects for display rather than practical use.

Since we left north London fifty years ago, I can only think of one supermarket trolley ding that we’ve acquired - and that’s to my wife’s Suzuki, so doesn’t really count (!) and which she still hasn’t noticed.

Sadly, I think the bulk of vandalism that we do see tends to be by those who, in a desperate bid to conform to stereotype, bring it out from the Cities with them. Out here in the villages it’s pretty rare.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2021 at 7:59 AM, Vlady said:

Does anybody know why this thread belongs now to LS400/LS430 etc section of the forum?

I thought it was a General Discussion Section initially.

I pointed this out a few months ago, but got ignored. Any Admins who can answer this question?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 7:07 PM, Vlady said:

@LenT please keep us updated on how it goes and attach some photos as well, would be good to see Before and After. 

I am sure the car will come out perfect!

I have now collected my IS250 from the Automotive Detailer (I’ll call him Ryan, as that is his name). So, was it worth it?
(Dramatic Pause)
(Quick Cuts to Anxious Faces)
Yes, it was!
(Collective Sighs of Relief and Hi-Fiving!)
It’s not just that the car has come back looking clean and shiny. For some reason I had got it into my head that it was Pearl White. Turns out it was Arctic White – and now looks it.
Ryan thought it was in good condition anyway for a car that had done 30K, but has now eliminated what little swirling there was. So I would venture to say that it is, if anything, now looking better than when I bought it from the Dealer three years ago. And it looked pretty good then!
Having said that, I’m sure a good waxer could match the actual shine. The difference with these glass coatings is that they don’t have to be regularly removed and renewed. They also protect the paint surface in ways that waxes can’t. As an additional hard coating over the paint, they help to prevent scratching, swirls and discolouration. Unlike waxes, the combination of Modesta Glass Coatings is claimed to have an 8-10 year life, depending on usage.
I’m also pleased with how the wheels have turned out. The combination of alloys and low profile tyres was not an ideal choice for pot-holed country lanes. But the Alloygators served well to protect the rims and the baked-on ceramic coating has now refreshed the alloys and will help to protect against road grit.
So, any downsides? Well...No more easy-option car washes!
From now on it’s a regime of proprietary shampoos with the pressure washer and a wipe over with special formula every five washes or so. The dirt will, I’m assured, simply wash off the glass surface. Well, we shall see. It certainly does so in the videos!
I attach some shots, I hope, which will give some idea of the results. For me it’s the two shots by the rear wheel arches that best illustrate the changes. I’m not sure if it will be apparent, but there is a distinct colour improvement, for one thing. Also note the before shot showing the film panels by the rear wheels.
Apparently some Lexus owners remove these, but as Ryan pointed out, Lexus put them on for a purpose. However, he did say that Lexus also put the bare minimum on, so he slightly enlarged the replacements. And they’re much harder to see with the new coatings on.
My apologies if this is a longer posting than usual. But I hope it might be helpful if anyone else is contemplating investing in this kind of car protection.
As it is, I can certainly recommend Huntsmiths Detailing if you’re anywhere near Brackley in Northamptonshire.
PS: The other images I have appear too big to load. I'll have to reduce them in size if anyone really wants to see more!
image0.thumb.jpeg.11eedd96be887b62a1376919e9e1be6a.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.87b87bd246042f9bebfaaaf6f90f7d44.jpegimage3.thumb.jpeg.e9f2b94c22feb2a1ad267296b18247b2.jpegimage2.thumb.jpeg.b0efe308a60864e34a0623f0317a5e59.jpeg

• Like 2

do I remember seeing in the past on here somewhere, people had " wrapped " their cars ?

How does that compare . or is there zero comparison to be made

Malc

22 minutes ago, Malc said:

do I remember seeing in the past on here somewhere, people had " wrapped " their cars ?

Malc

A few years back a member from Ireland has his LS430 wrapped in a shiny blue Cadburys dairy milk foil colour, it did look the business. I watched a BMW being wrapped next to my old workshop at one time, a dark mat grey. Every time someone touched it it marked, a bit like stainless steel does, and what do you do if you get a light scratch, it can't just be polished out. I guess it isn't the most practical finish.

25 minutes ago, Malc said:

Malc

As it happens, Ryan was due to completely wrap the next client car which was already waiting outside.

He uses XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film - which suggests it's pretty good!  In fact it's claimed to be superior to glass coatings in that it's a high gloss finish that resists the effects of stone chips, scratches, scuffs and swirling.  Apparently if it ever needs any attention, it is simply heated and reforms to its original surface.

As well as a gloss finish, it also comes in matt and with a 10 year warranty.  I imagine the price reflects this superior product.

You can see more on his website: huntsmiths.co.uk

• Like 2

@LenT thanks for the update, the car looks fantasticly clean! How is the interior? I wouldn't mind to see more photos, re-size them and get them here. 🙂 Well done on doing this on your car, it does look very good!

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

@LenT thanks for the update, the car looks fantasticly clean! How is the interior? I wouldn't mind to see more photos, re-size them and get them here. 🙂 Well done on doing this on your car, it does look very good!

Have you met these people Vlady ?  https://www.shorewraps.com/

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links