Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi to me personally it seems madness that people want to sell the cars for only the smallest chance that something might happen. It’s like not going on holiday because your plane might crash. No way

Just as a warning to others.  Well aware of the cat theft issues with these cars. Been parking on my driveway for months which is gravel and close to the house. Last night Mrs was on drive so I p

The two models that attract the vast majority of thefts are the Lexus RX400h and the toyota Prius and the frustratingb hing is that nobody has any solution. On the RX400H the catalytic convertor actua

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Lexus and I assume other brands presumably use these expensively filled cats to get maximum reduction in emmisions.  I wonder how much difference it makes to emmisions, noise and fuel ecomomy if the genuine article is replaced with a generic lacking the expensive innards or replacing with a straight pipe and just relying on the cats up front?

You could have a point. But also take into account replacing it via Lexus (I was quoted in the region of 2k with a wait of 2 months) Then the thieves come back for round 2 then round 3.

Just as a note The garage at the time I had mine done had Prius come in that had the straight through pipe fitted after have the initial one stolen. They came back and before realising it had no CAT and cut the straight through pipe.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You won't fail an MOT on an emission reading with a hybrid because it won't be tested. Even if it was it should pass if the primary cats are up to temperature.

What you might fail on is "Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective". Now the person conducting the inspection isn't going to know what the underside of every make/model looks like so it would be difficult spot this but a flexi-pipe or poorly welded pipe may not pass, and you possibly wouldn't want to get an MOT done at a Lexus dealer where the inspector is going to be more likely to know what the underside of a 400h is meant to look like.

MOT aside, there is a legal grey area.

The law
Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act.

Potential penalties are unlimited fines.

Just removing the secondary cat shouldn't change the emissions that much to fail basic emission standards but it 'could' push it over a CO2 tax limit or not pass a specific Euro emissions standard that the vehicle was originally tested to. I don't know enough about those standards to know if the cold running performance is taken into account or just once fully up to temperature - I'd assume there is a reason for the secondary cat otherwise Lexus wouldn't go to the expensive of fitting one in the first place.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:32 PM, Barry14UK said:

I keep a machete and a swordstick to hand for protection against intruders but I think if I used it to protect a car and injury or death resulted, the law might not be so forgiving. 

12 Lexus Jury Members good and true would absolve you completely Barry.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:42 PM, Andre2000 said:

Just as a note The garage at the time I had mine done had Prius come in that had the straight through pipe fitted after have the initial one stolen. They came back and before realising it had no CAT and cut the straight through pipe.   

Is that what you call "Being as Thick as Thieves"??

• Like 1