Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise control anyway to change the step size?

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the fine speed adjust on the cruise control via Techstream?

It's set to either 5 Kmh or 5 mph depending on the the display, non-EU cruise controls seem to have the ability to do 1 instead for the fine option. The manual suggests you get 1mph when in constant speed mode but I've not had a chance to test this yet.

This is really annoying me, particularly as the set / resume behaviour is different to my old LS400 which if you'd accelerated above the old set speed would set your current speed as the new one if you pushed the lever down to "set" I keep slowing the set speed down by 5 or 10 mph in the RX instead of setting the speed to current traffic flow.

3 hours ago, PeterI said:

This is really annoying me, particularly as the set / resume behaviour is different to my old LS400 which if you'd accelerated above the old set speed would set your current speed as the new one if you pushed the lever down to "set" I keep slowing the set speed down by 5 or 10 mph in the RX instead of setting the speed to current traffic flow.

I think you can pull towards you, release and then down to reset and set. Not quite as easy as just a single press down but almost as quick once you get use to it.

• Like 1

Default radar cruise control is in increments of 5mph.
If you switch to regular cruise control, increments are in 1mph.

If you push the lever away from you within 2 seconds of switching cruise control on, it will switch from radar to normal cruise.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks both, I'm hoping I can retrain my muscle memory to get around the annoyance.

I was hoping that there would be a techstream option to set small step in DRCC mode.

Even if cruise has steps of 5 km/h, you can reach ANY speed, i.e. 73 km/h, and you can set that speed, till you will decide to increase or decrease it reaching the further or previous step.  

• 2 years later...

1 hour ago, wally12 said:

I would really like an answer to this question as well.

The answer is - that's the way the system is designed to work. No problem or fault here.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wally12 said:

I would really like an answer to this question as well.

The 5 mph increments are infuriating & dangerous.

Why do you think it is dangerous?

All you do is set your speed at say 60mph then set whichever distance gap you want and if the traffic flow is slower the car slows you down to match the traffic in front.

If you need to overtake you accelerate past then let go of the throttle and let the car slow you down again to the speed you had set... all the speed limits in the UK are in 10mph intervals not 1mph.

On 6/18/2022 at 1:23 PM, ColinBarber said:

The question has been fully answered in the second and third post.

The question was “Does anyone know if it's possible to change the fine speed adjust on the cruise control via Techstream?”

The 3rd post doesn’t answer the question, it simply restates what we already know: “Default radar cruise control is in increments of 5mph…”.

As this 5mph increment is DIFFERENT from the 1mph increment used everywhere else in the world outside of Europe, asking about whether it is possible to change the UK setting to the setting used elsewhere via Techstream seems like a legitimate and (for many) important question.

Why are people on this forum so quick to misinterpret questions and rationalise the irrational?

1 hour ago, wally12 said:

As this 5mph increment is DIFFERENT from the 1mph increment used everywhere else in the world outside of Europe, asking about whether it is possible to change the UK setting to the setting used elsewhere via Techstream seems like a legitimate and (for many) important question.

If Toyota/Lexus implement function coding along the same lines as Mercedes (I imaging all manufacturers will use similar systems) then these regional specific codes will set using production line level coding systems. Once the cars emerge into the real world the service level systems such as Techstream will not have individual access to the lower level coding and region specifics will be grouped together to make replacing modules, due to failure or accident, simpler/quicker/cheaper.

One can change the region such as from UK to ROW (speaking from MB experience) to achieve a required change but one needs to be very careful that other 'grouped' settings aren't also changed, that may lead to unwanted changes in other settings. Maybe from miles to kilometres or gallons to litres, for example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wally12 said:

The question was “Does anyone know if it's possible to change the fine speed adjust on the cruise control via Techstream?”

The 3rd post doesn’t answer the question, it simply restates what we already know: “Default radar cruise control is in increments of 5mph…”.

Why are people on this forum so quick to misinterpret questions and rationalise the irrational?

To my knowledge the 5 mph increment is the same across the world for Lexus vehicles apart from some specific countries. Certainly owners manuals in the US state the same as UK in this regard and people on forums ask the same questions.

5 mph increments if adaptive cruise is enabled. Press and hold may allow 1 mph changes but that seems to vary between models.

1 mph increments if non-adaptive cruise is enabled.

I've not seen a setting in TS to alter this behaviour, but I can't say I've specifically gone looking for it.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, ColinBarber said:

To my knowledge the 5 mph increment is the same across the world for Lexus vehicles apart from some specific countries. Certainly owners manuals in the US state the same as UK in this regard and people on forums ask the same questions.

5 mph increments if adaptive cruise is enabled.

From the manual:

“In the vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode, the set speed will be increased or decreased as follows:

 For Europe

Fine adjustment: By 5 km/h (3.1 mph) *1 or 5 mph (8 km/h) *2 each time the lever is operated Large adjustment: Increases or decreases in 5 km/h (3.1 mph) *1 or 5 mph (8 km/h) *2 increments for as long as the lever is held

 Except for Europe

Fine adjustment: By 1 km/h (0.6 mph) *1 or 1 mph (1.6 km/h) *2 each time the lever is operated Large adjustment: Increases or decreases in 5 km/h (3.1 mph) *1 or 5 mph (8 km/h) *2 increments for as long as the lever is held”

On 6/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, ColinBarber said:

5 mph increments if adaptive cruise is enabled. Press and hold may allow 1 mph changes but that seems to vary between models.

1 mph increments if non-adaptive cruise is enabled.

I've not seen a setting in TS to alter this behaviour, but I can't say I've specifically gone looking for it.

Here it is the same 5 but in km/h.

Anyway, cruise control here with all the traffic is useless as the adaptive braking and the way people are driving make the car constantly brake - accelerate - brake so it is a more fluent and comfortable ride just to leave it off.

3 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Here it is the same 5 but in km/h.

Anyway, cruise control here with all the traffic is useless as the adaptive braking and the way people are driving make the car constantly brake - accelerate - brake so it is a more fluent and comfortable ride just to leave it off.

I wrote it long time ago, but to avoid uncomfy accelerations it may be useful with adaptive cruise to set driving mode in ECO.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 2:15 PM, Zotto said:

I wrote it long time ago, but to avoid uncomfy accelerations it may be useful with adaptive cruise to set driving mode in ECO.

That is what I thought will work but unfortunately it is still accelerating to fast imo.

I had a trip of almost 400 miles recently and played with vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode on ECO mode through out (did not bother with static one as you would have to use break all to often) and feel like 5mph increment is to big. When changing from 70mph to 75mph it was trying to accelerate quickly rather than gradually, it felt like ECO mode no longer matters. Another words if I would be driving 70mph on ECO mode and would like to accelerate to 75mph the same as it does automatically I would have to push pedal pretty hard.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links