Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at some older 450h, what should I look out for?

I want to get something of quality, and different to all the old BMW's and whatever keep cropping up out there (they are 10 a penny).  The 450h really stands out to me, and while the older versions certainly have an 'older' feel to them inside, they were specced impeccably to begin with and have aged well IMO.  

When looking at used examples, high mileage heroes and 10+ year old versions, what are the stand out things I really need to pay attention to, or tests I should be doing on a drive i'll wish I did later?

The Battery is a concern of mine, only becuase i know it could bite me later and I know very little about what to expect or what is good or bad.  The rest of the car is I believe naturally good lexus quality and well screwed together, any stand out issues long term?

Is it worth looking at cars people won't buy with batteries that are close to or have failed, and having a call replaced or refurbished Battery installed?

For contexti'd be replacing a 2010 Renault Laguna 175 Initiale which has served me well, but had its fair share of maintainance over the last few years 😂  So i'm clearly not worried about old or even french-reliable cars!

Welcome Alex. Piers has already sent you invaluable information which you must inwardly digest.

Buy from a Lexus Dealer, if you can,but you only have 2 to choose from  in Scotland I believe.

Buy a Gen 4 model if you can (2012 on). I don`t think that Lexus Dealers now stock the last of the Gen 3 models,but I could be wrong.

Buy only with a full LSH

• Like 2

The main points to look out for on the gen3 "2005/2011" are leaking shock absorbers. These are circa £250 each to buy, and there is no aftermarket replacement. The exhaust is prone to splitting at the "Y" piece to the rear silencers, and also forward of the joint before the "Y". The exhaust is over £1250 to buy, but most fit stainless purpose made systems.

The traction Battery can be repaired by replacing one or more of the 40 individual 7.2 volt modules that make up the Battery at reasonable cost. These are readily available being used in most "not all" Toyota hybrid cars.

John.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

look out for rust under the leading edge of the bonnet

True comment, but for cars after 2008 it is covered by the 12 year body guarantee. Many people including myself have had new bonnets fitted free of charge.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Britprius said:

The main points to look out for on the gen3 "2005/2011" are leaking shock absorbers. These are circa £250 each to buy, and there is no aftermarket replacement. The exhaust is prone to splitting at the "Y" piece to the rear silencers, and also forward of the joint before the "Y". The exhaust is over £1250 to buy, but most fit stainless purpose made systems.

The traction battery can be repaired by replacing one or more of the 40 individual 7.2 volt modules that make up the battery at reasonable cost. These are readily available being used in most "not all" Toyota hybrid cars.

John.

Note, had this one on mine. Took it to redhill classics who fixed it for £120. Basically if you buy from lexus you have to buy the CATs as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, alexdodd said:

All duly noted!  My budget isn't quite in the range of main dealer and post 2012, sadly, but someone needs to look after the older cars! 😉

Just be extremely careful out there Alex as there are some rogues about.

Full Lexus service history and Hybrid Battery certificates are musts. Check vehicle MOT on Gov website.

Ask questions on here if in doubt. We are not rich people ,just trying to be careful with money.

• Like 1

Hello, I am sorry for shoving into this topic, I am interested in buying a GS 450h as well, I found my ideal one, year 2010, but I also just found out that someone skipped the Hybrid Health Check last year. Does it mean that the extended 15 years warranty is gone now, or is it renewed if I do a HHC now?

57 minutes ago, Lore said:

Hello, I am sorry for shoving into this topic, I am interested in buying a GS 450h as well, I found my ideal one, year 2010, but I also just found out that someone skipped the Hybrid Health Check last year. Does it mean that the extended 15 years warranty is gone now, or is it renewed if I do a HHC now?

Welcome Anita.

Yes, it can be HHC`d again.The warranty is for 12 months and 10,000 miles which can be renewed annually until the vehicle is 15 years old.

Will cost about £60 at Lexus Dealer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Welcome Anita.

Yes, it can be HHC`d again.The warranty is for 12 months and 10,000 miles which can be renewed annually until the vehicle is 15 years old.

Will cost about £60 at Lexus Dealer.

I thought so, just needed someone to confirm. I am relieved now, thank you so much for your answer, John! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alexdodd said:

When looking at used examples, high mileage heroes and 10+ year old versions, what are the stand out things I really need to pay attention to, or tests I should be doing on a drive i'll wish I did later?

Creaks and rattles - more so on pre-facelift cars. Have a drive over some not-so-perfect roads if you can. Will also give you a chance to assess the 3GS's ride, which some find a bit too firm for their liking (I grew to accept it, but my wife still dislikes it). New shocks have made some improvements. 

Also for earlier cars - the aircon condensate outlet can get clogged and cause the water to drain into the passenger side carpets instead. By the time you feel the damp in the carpet, the insulation underneath is well and truly soaked. Easy to remedy in the GS300, a PITA in the GS450h. 

Make sure that the car has had all recalls done by Lexus. From memory, there were 2 recalls for my car - one of them being the engine valve spring recall. 

Check that there is no oil leak from the timing chain cover. Doesn't seem to have much coverage on here but appears to be an issue with the 2GR-FSE engine as seen in US sites. Was fixed under warranty in my car but was told by the dealer that it would have been very costly otherwise. The VVT-i cam gear was replaced at the same time too. Wasn't an issue with my car (yet) but is known to wear out and cause damage to the engine if it fails (Toyota TSB-0094-09 has more info on this)

Just sharing my experience with my car  🙂

Good luck with the search!

• Like 1

Amazing thanks to everyone again, so welcoming and helpful, this has been invaluable information! 🙂

I have a hitlist of notes I can compare and also half look like I know what i'm looking for, and weed out the obviously poor examples or take into account the cost of repair in the price.  I don't mind sinking money into repairs, but the cars have to be *truly* worth it and correctly discounted. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lore said:

I thought so, just needed someone to confirm. I am relieved now, thank you so much for your answer, John! 

The HHC only covers the Battery. The GS450h series III also suffers from transmission issues - turns out it is a pump issue, and just a £2 bearing at that but unless you are mechanically minded it will cost a lot more than that to fix.

Whilst not unreliable, the series III GS450h is the least reliable hybrid model. There are probably more of these vehicles with problems than all other hybrids combined, and it has sold the least. Yes the Battery and transmission can be fixed but it is hassle and expense you don't get on the other Lexus hybrids, or the petrol versions of the GS.

56 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The failure of the £2 Bearing is presumably covered by the Extended Warranty Colin if in existence?

Yes, the complete pump assembly would be replaced under warranty.

However many series III GSs are getting to the age where the official Lexus extended warranty isn't an option as they are over 10 years old. Obviously there are third party warranties available but small print should be checked for what they cover, maximum single claim, labour rates they will pay etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Bought a 2009 one. Had a weeping radiator. New OEM one cost £450.

Also needed exhaust work at back end. £600 for y section and boxes in stainless.

TPMS is not an MOT fail so ignore it.

I believe that depends on the age of car and all cars newer than a certain date require TPMS?
Not certain but I remember reading it somewhere.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links