Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fair price for a high mileage 2016 reg IS300h

I'm looking to see what would be fair price to pitch, to a dealership, for a high mileage (92,436 miles) Mar 2016 reg IS 300h.

I'm currently looking to pitch at £13,415.  The asking price currently stands at £14,988.

Q1.  Would this seem a fair offer?

Q2.  What are likely to be high cost items, that would need attending to, within the next 3-year time span?

Q3.  How high a mileage would these cars go to or have been known to go to?

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you in anticipation.

Hi Mahiddun.

1. It is fair if you are prepared to pay it. They may settle at  £13750 if you are prepared to pay that. It is a high mileage ,but if it a Lexus Official Dealer and has a FULL Lexus Service History, it should be ok.

2. A Lexus Dealer should offer a 12 month warranty and may even give you a 3 year Extended Warranty as part of the Deal.Accept both.If you have essentially a 3 year warranty cover, that should give you plenty of time to spot if there is anything wrong. You can then purchase an additional Extended Warranty until the car has covered 140,000 miles or is 10 years old.

3. 150,0000 miles with full Lexus Servicing should be easily achievable.

That`s my view,so let us see what others come along and say.

• Like 2

1. Generally, Lexus dealers are though to negotiate with, but I have varying "success" and can give you some tips for negotiation. I find £14,988 as far too much, considering same year cars could be had for £12,500 with lower mileage. But very hard to say without being able to look at the car (PM if you afraid somebody will compete with you on purchase) 🤐

2. I would mainly look at brakes and tyres, these tend to be worn on used cars - there are many other areas (like hybrid system), but you won't be able to reasonably inspect them all. Don't overlook cosmetic condition as well, few scratches here and there may not be your main concern, but may impact car value a lot and may be more expensive to fix then you think. Either way, make sure you carefully inspect the car, or if you can't do it yourself then take it to independent garage. Very important - if you have any concerns document everything in writing, so if anything would go wrong you will have strong position. I assume you looking to buy it from Lexus dealership, but in either case when buying used car you must remain vigilant, authorised dealers are no better than anyone else - the only difference is that they most likely honour their liability if you make justified claim and won't disappear overnight.

3. as above - at least 150k, but I am sure many more. There are some IS300h taxis and if I am not mistaken they are now past 200k.

• Like 1

Looking at the Lexus Extended Warranty paperwork and mileage:

“Eligible Vehicles
In order to be eligible for LexusCare Extended Warranty your vehicle must be a Lexus vehicle, and must be less than 10 years old (from the date of first registration) with less than 140,000 miles at the start of the warranty.
If you are renewing an existing LexusCare Extended Warranty and providing there is no lapse in cover between the warranty being renewed and the new one, then the mileage limitation of 140,000 miles is waived. Vehicles with more than 140,000 miles at the end of the 3 years / 60,000 miles manufacturer’s warranty are not eligible.”

I would read this as saying that if your Lexus has more than 140000 miles and a current extended warranty one can continue renewing it until it is 10 years old.

Please does anyone have experience of this? Are there issues in claiming on the warranty for a very high mileage car? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

I would read this as saying that if your Lexus has more than 140000 miles and a current extended warranty one can continue renewing it until it is 10 years old.

Please does anyone have experience of this? Are there issues in claiming on the warranty for a very high mileage car? 

I am aware of members here extending warranty past 10 years, as long as they extend it before current warranty runs out. But I never heard anyone extending past 140k miles.

• Like 1

I cant really say if the price is fair, but I can see which car you are looking at - If it was me I would be tempted to spend the extra £1500 and get the 18 month newer facelifted Advance with 10K less miles at Derby.

That said I picked mine up with 160K on it at 4 years old - difficult to price at the time as there was nothing to compare, but it was by far the cheapest IS and had full dealer history so I took a chance.  2 years and  30K later costs have been 2 sets of tyres, front discs and pads and a new bonnet latch so no complaints at all, so in response to your point 3 you should be good for the same mileage again

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

Looking at the Lexus Extended Warranty paperwork and mileage:

“Eligible Vehicles
In order to be eligible for LexusCare Extended Warranty your vehicle must be a Lexus vehicle, and must be less than 10 years old (from the date of first registration) with less than 140,000 miles at the start of the warranty.
If you are renewing an existing LexusCare Extended Warranty and providing there is no lapse in cover between the warranty being renewed and the new one, then the mileage limitation of 140,000 miles is waived. Vehicles with more than 140,000 miles at the end of the 3 years / 60,000 miles manufacturer’s warranty are not eligible.”

I believe that is correct. 149,000 can be exceeded,but 10 years cannot.

Important though to maintain good,close and effective relationships with one`s local Lexus Service Team so as to best ensure that claims at higher mileages are not fobbed of as "wear and tear"

• Like 1

Thank you all for your great inputs.

I will also take a look into the Advance and F-sport trims from the suggestions made.

I'm basically after a model that will be reliable and has longevity in it, not costly to maintain and run, and serve me well heading towards retirement and beyond.

It’s a Premier and I can see it on Autotrader. Personally, I would go for a 2104 Premier with half that mileage. Could probably pick up a decent one in good condition up for £13k. Might even get one which still has an extended warranty. Might not be an approved used car but if it has a warranty and you do your homework it’s relatively risk free.

The trouble with a 4 year old car with 92k is that in 3 years time it probably has close to 130k miles. For me, 92k miles also means the suspension bushes, dampers, steering, wheel bearings etc are all nearing time for replacement. Of course it does depend upon how many miles you do, how long you will keep the car for and whether you are bothered by how tight a car might feel on the road.

These are good quality cars so mileage in itself isn’t such an issue. I’d want to see the full service record for the car to see what work outside of servicing has been done. Has anything else been replaced.

When I first read the OP’s post I thought it sounded expensive. Looking at available cars shows it’s priced about right from a franchised dealer which surprised me. I doubt you will get £1500 off it because in these days of internet advertising dealers tend to price quite keenly, you might get it for 14k though. What Car valuation is £14k if in excellent condition and from a dealer. Start at £13.5k with a view to paying no more than 14k perhaps. If a service is due within the next 3-6 months I’d negotiate a free service too.

I’d definitely prefer a 2 year older car with half the mileage though. Put a private plate on it and it would look like new if it was good condition.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm looking to see what would be fair price to pitch, to a dealership, for a high mileage (92,436 miles) Mar 2016 reg IS 300h.
I'm currently looking to pitch at £13,415.  The asking price currently stands at £14,988.
Q1.  Would this seem a fair offer?
Q2.  What are likely to be high cost items, that would need attending to, within the next 3-year time span?
Q3.  How high a mileage would these cars go to or have been known to go to?
I look forward to your responses.
Thank you in anticipation.

Wow!! 2 years ago I paid 13,500 for a 2014 IS300h that had 59,000 miles on the clock with full Lexus history and one previous owner.
I can’t believe how well they are holding their value.

Q1. Your offer would seem to be more than fair in my view, however I’m not in the trade so am not sure what values are currently.
Q2. At 120,000 miles that will be a very big service, plugs and coolant as well as inverter coolant. Personally I would also have the transmission fluid changed before 100k, it’s more of a preventative rather than an essential.
Q3. My 2014 is now sat at 174,000 and racks up about a 1000 miles a week without really breaking a sweat. I have a feeling the 12v Battery is beginning to fail, and the suspension is now a little clunky so will need some attention soon.

Aside from that it still drives well it’s still comfortable and still does over 50mpg on a run and 45mpg around town

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mahiuddin said:

Thank you all for your great inputs.

I will also take a look into the Advance and F-sport trims from the suggestions made.

I'm basically after a model that will be reliable and has longevity in it, not costly to maintain and run, and serve me well heading towards retirement and beyond.

Make sure you test drive a few. You’ll get to feel what is a good car and what is a bad car. Also try an F-Sport back to back against a non F-Sport so you feel the difference. The F-Sport has sports suspension and 18” wheels. I didn’t like my 2014 250 F-Sport, I thought it was way too firm. The Premier has 18” wheels but standard (comfort) suspension. All other models except for the SE have 17” wheels and standard suspension. I’ve owned three pre facelift (2017) IS cars and I think the sweet spot is 17” wheels with standard suspension. Just make sure you try a few to get a feel for what you want yourself because it’s a personal choice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

Wow!! 2 years ago I paid 13,500 for a 2014 IS300h that had 59,000 miles on the clock with full Lexus history and one previous owner.
I can’t believe how well they are holding their value.

Q1. Your offer would seem to be more than fair in my view, however I’m not in the trade so am not sure what values are currently.
Q2. At 120,000 miles that will be a very big service, plugs and coolant as well as inverter coolant. Personally I would also have the transmission fluid changed before 100k, it’s more of a preventative rather than an essential.
Q3. My 2014 is now sat at 174,000 and racks up about a 1000 miles a week without really breaking a sweat. I have a feeling the 12v battery is beginning to fail, and the suspension is now a little clunky so will need some attention soon.

Aside from that it still drives well it’s still comfortable and still does over 50mpg on a run and 45mpg around town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear these cars run well out to this sort of mileage 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

The F-Sport has sports suspension and 18” wheels. I didn’t like my 2014 250 F-Sport, I thought it was way too firm. The Premier has 18” wheels but standard (comfort) suspension.

Can somebody provide source for this? I am not saying this is wrong, but I have seen it claimed several times, but never seen anyone providing any official source saying that F-Sport has different suspension. I appreciate that different wheel sizes can impact comfort, but I am struggling to find any source for this "sport vs standard suspension". 

Unless you meaning F-Sport having "optional" AVS is what is being called "sport suspension" makes it ride harder?

This is not helped by Lexus them-self providing misleading information like this:

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1368722193Lexus_IS_Long_EN.PDF

I tend to believe this is because different markets had some small changes and spec has changed slightly for each model years.

As well @Mahiuddin have you considered GS300h or even 450h - it would be more comfortable than any IS and are generally better equipped? As well, I agree that best way to know is to test drive the car yourself, only you could decide if car feels hard or soft for you.

One thing to note, check what tyres car has and tyre pressures as that alone could make car feel completely different. It is not like difference you get fitting normal tyres instead of BMW run-flat, but for example replacing standard Brigestone Potenza on Lexus to something softer an quieter can make huge difference.

51 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Yes, an F-Sport has sports suspension as standard. AVS was an option on the F-Sport as far as I remember.

So, Sports Suspension plus Large diameter wheels plus Low Profile and noisy tyres in aggregate contribute to noisier and uncomfortable vehicles.

None of this is new, but manufacturers continue to sell "Sports" models in the belief that this is what the customer wants? 

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Yes, an F-Sport has sports suspension as standard. AVS was an option on the F-Sport as far as I remember.

Yes, that is all good, but is there any Lexus documentation which mentions it?

10 hours ago, Mahiuddin said:

If you want reliability and cheap running costs I don't think I've come across a better car for those priorities than our IS300H.

A true 50mpg in summer and 45mpg in winter even on short urban tirps, tyres will last about 30k per set, never needed any oil adding between yearly services, and ZERO issues in 5 years of ownership - even the 12V Battery is still the original one from the factory.

Personally I wouldn't bother with main dealer servicing or a warranty, you are buying a Lexus, reliability is its best attribute. Ours feels like it'll keep going for another 5 years and still not throw a single fault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paulrnx said:

That was certainly true when we ordered ours in 2015. AVS was only available as an option on the F sport and not Premier.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Yes, that is all good, but is there any Lexus documentation which mentions it?

I don’t need to find it, I know this to be the case. If you don’t believe me, fine, up to you. I don’t really care. 😀

9 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

So, Sports Suspension plus Large diameter wheels plus Low Profile and noisy tyres in aggregate contribute to noisier and uncomfortable vehicles.

None of this is new, but manufacturers continue to sell "Sports" models in the belief that this is what the customer wants? 

So unsuitable for our roads, agreed. Been this way for some time now. I’ve had a few damaged alloys down the years.

If you want reliability and cheap running costs I don't think I've come across a better car for those priorities than our IS300H.
A true 50mpg in summer and 45mpg in winter even on short urban tirps, tyres will last about 30k per set, never needed any oil adding between yearly services, and ZERO issues in 5 years of ownership - even the 12V battery is still the original one from the factory.
Personally I wouldn't bother with main dealer servicing or a warranty, you are buying a Lexus, reliability is its best attribute. Ours feels like it'll keep going for another 5 years and still not throw a single fault.

I can’t argue with any of what was said there.
When I get in mine, even with its mileage, I don’t worry that something will fail/break

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

So unsuitable for our roads, agreed. Been this way for some time now. I’ve had a few damaged alloys down the years.

Low profile tyres and damaged alloys are mutually inclusive as you are aware Paul.

Why do people not listen--it is not some kind of conspiracy theory.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Low profile tyres and damaged alloys are mutually inclusive as you are aware Paul.

Why do people not listen--it is not some kind of conspiracy theory.

Probably because they look better in the marketing material and brochures? Look better in the showroom too? We’ve all been brainwashed! To the point where I look at older cars with 14 or 15 inch wheels and tall profile tyres and think that doesn’t look right. I still look at my NX and think the wheels are too small and the tyres too tall. Then when I drive it round the roads where I live I feel the benefit and don’t worry about uneven roads the way I used to. Also getting on a bit now so maybe I prefer a less jarring ride! 😂

Wheel size do make a difference though for new cars for appearance, ride and economy will always suffer sadly.

We speced 17inch wheels for our Premier for better ride and economy :).

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links