Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Purchased my first ever Lexus

Hello to everyone . I am pleased to say I have just purchased a brand new Lexus NX Premium Sport Edition in  Mercury Grey Black Tahara Leather (man made) with silver inlay and a Panoramic roof. As it will probably be my last car (73 yr old ) I've purchased 4th year warranty and received the 5th year warranty free . I also took out a 5 year service plan.and the Nextbase front and rear dash-cam  Coming from a Toyota Rav 4 2019 the comparison is like chalk and cheese the Lexus seating and interior are far superior it's another world , I now know Toyota & Lexus are very different . I choose Lexus because of there well earned reputation . Rest assured I'll be back to ask questions thank you for reading 

Take care 

• Like 10

Absolutely. Not same cars. Had a MR2 1st generation, then a Supra 3L and finally a MR2 Spider. The MR2 cars were fun, the Supra boring and nothing in any of these were of quality comparable to the quality in Lexus.

8 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

the Supra boring and nothing in any of these were of quality comparable to the quality in Lexus.

I had a Supra MKIV TT. It was equivalent in build quality to the Lexus GS300 at the time, and actually more expensive. The two shared many components. When I sold it I test drove a couple of series I GS300s and was disappointed that they weren't any more refined, and actually had more rattles and creaks than the Supra. I ended up with a GS series II which was more refined but a bit soulless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marlinleg said:

Hello to everyone . I am pleased to say I have just purchased a brand new Lexus NX Premium Sport Edition in  Mercury Grey Black Tahara Leather (man made) with silver inlay and a Panoramic roof. As it will probably be my last car (73 yr old ) I've purchased 4th year warranty and received the 5th year warranty free . I also took out a 5 year service plan.and the Nextbase front and rear dash-cam  Coming from a Toyota Rav 4 2019 the comparison is like chalk and cheese the Lexus seating and interior are far superior it's another world , I now know Toyota & Lexus are very different . I choose Lexus because of there well earned reputation . Rest assured I'll be back to ask questions thank you for reading 

Take care 

Congratulations on your upgrade. 🙂

I suspect some here (well me anyway) will be quite interested to know how much of a difference the NX is compared to the current RAV4 - primarily as the RAV4 is on the newer platform (1 generation ahead) with the upgrades to the hybrid drivetrains versus the NX on the older RAV4 platform and drivetrain.

Did you get a discount on the dashcam install or was it at list? (£375)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I had a Supra MKIV TT. It was equivalent in build quality to the Lexus GS300 at the time, and actually more expensive. The two shared many components. When I sold it I test drove a couple of series I GS300s and was disappointed that they weren't any more refined, and actually had more rattles and creaks than the Supra. I ended up with a GS series II which was more refined but a bit soulless.

The one we had was the targa model from 1986 or 87 and it was a disaster. Engine light was yellow on as soon as speed was above 160km/h, when taking off roof part the chassis was loose and steering terrible, with roof on it was OK. Engine could not be fixed in Spain, France or Denmark as Toyota in these countries did not yet sell the model. When we went to Switzerland where it was bought we did not bother to get it fixed but got a Nissan ZX instead. With roof parts off Nissan was still perfect on the road.

First Lexus is the one we have now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

Take care 

Welcome to NX ownership! Great choice. 

58 minutes ago, subria88 said:

Congratulations on your upgrade. 🙂

I suspect some here (well me anyway) will be quite interested to know how much of a difference the NX is compared to the current RAV4 - primarily as the RAV4 is on the newer platform (1 generation ahead) with the upgrades to the hybrid drivetrains versus the NX on the older RAV4 platform and drivetrain.

Did you get a discount on the dashcam install or was it at list? (£375)

I believe list price for the fitment of the Nextbase 380GW is now £275 🤑 got my bill today from the used NX I collect from Lexus Cambridge in 3 weeks time

First thank you all for the nice reply's . I will do an update in say a months time as I don't pick up my car till around the 18th March what I can say is sitting in the car for the first time was simply amazing the Toyota Rav 4 was comfortable but the comfort in the NX was , well as the saying goes " preaching to the converted "  the sound of the car door closing music to my ears. I have heard of the reputation of Lexus Dealers was second to none, when they were checking my Rav 4s condition I said I need to get the winter tyres swapped back onto the original summer tyres the salesman said bring the car in we will do it free of charge as welcome gesture (£100 saved) I live less than 2 mile from my Lexus Dealership. Right off to read . Lexus how to pair ect 

thank you all again 

• Like 1

Welcome Phillip. It is satisfying to learn that you are extremely pleased with the purchase of your first and possibly your last, Lexus.

Have a look at your Avatar as it mentions your Lexus NX as being 2019.

Do take time to read through the Owners Manual as your vehicle is full of many of the items that were not even thought of when we both bought our first vehicles !

I am a little older than you but I am still thrilled by my first (and last ) Lexus GS 450h. It still excites me and listening to my favourite music  (classical/folk/country) whilst on the move is pure joy. It is now almost 11 years old  and still brand new !

I certainly look forward to your Progress Report in approx one month and would be interested to learn your views on the Panoramic Sunroof/Moonroof.

Enjoy your sublime vehicle and do take opportunities to contribute to Forum discussions.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Welcome Phillip. It is satisfying to learn that you are extremely pleased with the purchase of your first and possibly your last, Lexus.

Have a look at your Avatar as it mentions your Lexus NX as being 2019.

Do take time to read through the Owners Manual as your vehicle is full of many of the items that were not even thought of when we both bought our first vehicles !

I am a little older than you but I am still thrilled by my first (and last ) Lexus GS 450h. It still excites me and listening to my favourite music  (classical/folk/country) whilst on the move is pure joy. It is now almost 11 years old  and still brand new !

I certainly look forward to your Progress Report in approx one month and would be interested to learn your views on the Panoramic Sunroof/Moonroof.

Enjoy your sublime vehicle and do take opportunities to contribute to Forum discussions.

Great choice of music, now adding Jazz would make a perfect quartet🎶

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Great choice of music, now adding Jazz would make a perfect quartet🎶

Ha,ha Phil. Occasionally I enjoy a bit of Brubeck/Bilk/Getz, and listening to Astrid Gilberto but I am only a "toe dipper"

I do enjoy sitting with a wee dram in my hand listening to my Disc collection of the original Glenn Miller Band

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Ha,ha Phil. Occasionally I enjoy a bit of Brubeck/Bilk/Getz, and listening to Astrid Gilberto but I am only a "toe dipper"

I do enjoy sitting with a wee dram in my hand listening to my Disc collection of the original Glenn Miller Band

As good as it gets 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Very good advice and time well spent.  I don’t know what your NX is like, but my IS250 was the first time I’d encountered an Owner’s Manual in two volumes totalling about 1100 pages!

And some of the really critical info seems to be tucked away in the more challenging columns of smaller print.

(Sadly, I still haven’t mastered the Sat/Nav system and use my old Garmin instead.)

Talking of manuals, the Lexus was also the first auto that I’d actually bought, having always preferred to change my own gears, thank you very much.  But I have discovered, being of a similar age, that I rather appreciate having the gear changed for me.  

Another sign of Lexus ownership, I discovered, is inventing reasons to ‘just pop out to the shops’ for the sheer pleasure of driving the thing.  Still, if you can’t indulge yourself at our age, what was the point of getting to our age?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LenT the Rav 4 had 2 manuals . Ref getting used to sat-nav ect . I sit in my car on the drive and my iPad can pick up the house WiFi then if I can't figure anything out I google it YouTube will have the answer . Lexus how to web page is good link below

https://www.lexus.co.uk/multimedia/onboarding/cy17/enter-a-new-destination

LenT the Rav 4 had 2 manuals . Ref getting used to sat-nav ect . I sit in my car on the drive and my iPad can pick up the house WiFi then if I can't figure anything out I google it YouTube will have the answer . Lexus how to web page is good link below

https://www.lexus.co.uk/multimedia/onboarding/cy17/enter-a-new-destination

Many thanks, Philip.  I had no idea this section existed.  Having just gone through the steps, I must admit, however, that I still prefer my Garmin, which I’m tempted to observe is still streets ahead. It’s much simpler and I get four updates a year - not all of them very useful, of course, but at least free.

I believe updating the Lexus system is a substantial cost.

Much more useful to me, I think, will be the previous page, starting with the set-up of a Customer Portal and covering several other applications that I can now explore. There may currently be fewer places to drive it to, but you’ve given me more excuses to sit in it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

First thank you all for the nice reply's . I will do an update in say a months time as I don't pick up my car till around the 18th March what I can say is sitting in the car for the first time was simply amazing the Toyota Rav 4 was comfortable but the comfort in the NX was , well as the saying goes " preaching to the converted "  the sound of the car door closing music to my ears. I have heard of the reputation of Lexus Dealers was second to none, when they were checking my Rav 4s condition I said I need to get the winter tyres swapped back onto the original summer tyres the salesman said bring the car in we will do it free of charge as welcome gesture (£100 saved) I live less than 2 mile from my Lexus Dealership. Right off to read . Lexus how to pair ect 

thank you all again 

HI Philip

Also Philip here - good to hear the news!  You get your new NX-300H Premium Sport 14 days before I get mine on April 1st - a privately owned used Premium Sport in Mesa Red from Lexus Cambridge with 6200 miles since March 2021. Mine has all black leather seats and a removable towbar fitted by the previous owner - I need that for carrying two bikes on a carrier. Made a big saving due to it already being fitted with nothing extra added to the price.

I do like the look of the two tone Tahara seats you chose with the contrasting inlays. Have a feeling they only started to put those seats in as an option part way through the current production run of the Premium Sport and not the first editions.

Thank you for highlighting the Lexus Owners web link - very useful indeed. Lexus web content design is as good as the cars seemingly.  I've never owned a Lexus before or driven a car with a CVT gearbox. It will be interesting comparing notes on the Forum. My last car which I sold last week was a 4 year old Skoda Octavia Scout Estate Diesel 4X4 (Manual not DSG!) so it looks like that will be the last diesel in our household, having started using the "black pump" in 1995. 

All the best - it'll be interesting comparing notes with you as we go on our Lexus journey...

Phil 

AE20XYL mileage.jpg

AE20XYL.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Phil and thank  you for you comments .  the Lexus looks fabulous in red very nice 

This will be my 3rd CVT transmission Toyota RAV4 hybrid  and  Toyota Prius Plus hybrid now the Lexus Hybrid 

The first I time I drove the Prius hybrid I turned the ignition key on  silence turn it off then back on silence 

Strange I thought still wouldn't start. Then a bolt of lighting 

Er Phillip the car is ready to go ( you get a green light on the dash saying "READY) 😊 just press the Accelerator, 

Captain Mainwaring dads army came to mind " Phillip you stupid boy" Phil it still brings a smile to my face after a good few years when I drive off in silence but be aware pedestrian won't hear the car coming you will have to watch out for them especially in supermarket car parks . A lot of the motoring press slam the CVT  gearbox Lexus /Toyota wrongly Yes if you floor the gas pedal on joining a motorway to get up to speed it's loud not a problem  . The reason it's so noticeable is the cars are so quiet 99% of the time. My son in law mentioned this last week when he was in the RAV 4

"Phil this is so quiet " The Lexus SUV to me and other owners just seems to want to wafted you away in fabulous comfort and ultra quiet

I do like the 3 driving mods Eco/normal/sport. All my new hybrids I've run the engine  in , old habits 

I drive in eco for the first 500 miles then over the next 500 introduce normal and sport . One last thing if I may my late Dad was an upholster all his life and his tip leather seats worst enemy grit i hoover my seats once a month then wipe with a damp cloth 

Anyway keep in touch Phil

In about a next month I will be updating my Comparison of the NX  versus Rav4 but I will just say now the seats and interior are worlds  apart in favour of the Lexus 

Take Care 

• Like 3

The first I time I drove the Prius hybrid I turned the ignition key on  silence turn it off then back on silence 

Strange I thought still wouldn't start. Then a bolt of lighting 

Er Phillip the car is ready to go ( you get a green light on the dash saying "READY) 😊 just press the Accelerator, 

I had a similar experience when the Lexus dealer provided a loan hybrid when my non-hybrid was in for a service.

Suffice it to say that I thought I’d stalled at traffic lights.  As has been pointed out to me elsewhere, all I had to do was press the go faster pedal.

Luckily the drivers behind me never noticed a thing.  Probably.😊

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links