Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

Who cares about diesel? Las Palmas asked. :censored: Someone said they love forums as they go off on a tangent, or something similar. Yes that's the biggest flaw in a forum. Car forums are for just that, cars. But within that forum there are sections nothing to do with cars, subjects to like who can recommend a domestic appliance. That's great. Now don't get me wrong. My sence of humour is Evil. But what gets my goat is that a subject like the cost of fuel, which is one hell of a subject on everyone's mind, becomes a thread about politics and who said what in the war and who said what in a film. What has that got to do with the proce of fuel. And how the hell EV cars and their ranges and how we're all be urged into them has anything to do with the price of fuel is beyond me. Sure start a tread on its own to do with who said what to who and when. A different thread about politics and the thoughts about it. A different thread about how EV's charge and their Battery lifespan. 

That's the biggest problem with forums. They get bamboozled by going off topic.

I can't even remember if the originator of this thread has made numerous comments. 

Edited by ColinBarber
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Who cares about diesel? Las Palmas asked. :censored: Someone said they love forums as they go off on a tangent, or something similar. Yes that's the biggest flaw in a forum. Car forums are for just that, cars. But within that forum there are sections nothing to do with cars, subjects to like who can recommend a domestic appliance. That's great. Now don't get me wrong. My sence of humour is Evil. But what gets my goat is that a subject like the cost of fuel, which is one hell of a subject on everyone's mind, becomes a thread about politics and who said what in the war and who said what in a film. What has that got to do with the proce of fuel. And how the hell EV cars and their ranges and how we're all be urged into them has anything to do with the price of fuel is beyond me. Sure start a tread on its own to do with who said what to who and when. A different thread about politics and the thoughts about it. A different thread about how EV's charge and their battery lifespan. 

I can't even remember if the originator of this thread has made numerous comments. 

Vlad, did you get your foot caught in the sheets when you got out of bed this morning? 🤣🤣🤣, it's the weekend lad, calm down 😅. This isn't an exclusive car club forum per se it's called the Lexus Owners Club hence the variety of topics. Think of it like a river that starts out straight but over time meanders a little. This doesn't detract from the beauty but rather adds to the overall interest unless of course you dam it up 😱😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Who cares about diesel? Las Palmas asked. :censored: Someone said they love forums as they go off on a tangent, or something similar. Yes that's the biggest flaw in a forum. Car forums are for just that, cars. But within that forum there are sections nothing to do with cars, subjects to like who can recommend a domestic appliance. That's great. Now don't get me wrong. My sence of humour is Evil. But what gets my goat is that a subject like the cost of fuel, which is one hell of a subject on everyone's mind, becomes a thread about politics and who said what in the war and who said what in a film. What has that got to do with the proce of fuel. And how the hell EV cars and their ranges and how we're all be urged into them has anything to do with the price of fuel is beyond me. Sure start a tread on its own to do with who said what to who and when. A different thread about politics and the thoughts about it. A different thread about how EV's charge and their battery lifespan. 

As one who made a recent - albeit modest - contribution to the problem of which you complain, it may surprise you to know that I agree with you.

In my case it was prompted by another poster making unrelated assertions which I felt should be supported by evidence.  Whether I agree or disagree with those assertions is actually irrelevant.  The danger, to me, is that if such casual observations are left unremarked then they could acquire the legitimacy of tacit approval.

Personally I can cope with a degree of digression- and after 24 pages it’s almost inevitable.   But in respect for your concern, I’ll refrain from further such comment…probably.

As for the price of fuel….well I do so little mileage these days that motoring fuel cost and consumption figures are not as significant to me as they undoubtedly are to others.

However, I have just been told that I may expect a delivery of heating oil in the next 2 - 3 weeks, the price of which will be revealed on the day of delivery!

I have already warned the cat of a possible economising as regards his rations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

Sorry friend. You did not see the face with eyes with tears after. I have had some pretty nice diesel cars and though I have also had a few not so funny I thought that almost all Lexus owners were driving on gasoline. Here in the forum I mostly saw diesel engines mentioned as problems. Diesel is still cheaper here than 98 V-Shell and the diesel cars go longer on one litre. I see that our CT has medium consume 6.3 over last year and our old dark smoke out of the exhaust pipe Golf 2.0tdi DSG 2005 had medium 5.3 over a couple of years. In mountains hybrid is not what I expected, but now we have the CT and will have that, until a hydrogen combustion car become a reasonable possibility. Which may happen before the CT dies (if we are lucky)

• Haha 1

If we're going to quote Churchill it would be nice to get it somewhere near accurate ...

Lady S : "Winston you're drunk",

WSC : "Madam you are ugly ... but in the morning I shall be sober."

BTW ... Shell V-Power petrol £175.9 off Jct 6 M25 ... that's near as damn it £8 per gallon! 🤬

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

But what gets my goat is that a subject like the cost of fuel, which is one hell of a subject on everyone's mind,

The Subject Title is absolutely NOTHING  to do with the cost of fuel

it's actually            FUEL PANIC     ....................... and from there ubiquitously flows much, perhaps, relevant but a bit odd,  subject matter

I'm enjoying it all for one :wink3:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

brabham_0.jpeg?itok=aIxWURSX

Blimey O'Reilly   ..  this is 1967 ........ I was just 17 and must have started going to Brands Hatch about then I guess ....  I sure as hell can't remember for sure

Malc

• Like 1

Vlad, try the Volvo Owners Club. remembers me of primary school with a head teacher correcting everything and every little off topic is NOT accepted. Stand corrected or you will be banned! On technical questions the mod supported by the most senior members always give thesame reply.. read the handbook first.

It is the most boring forum on earth and definately not enjoyable at all. The LOC on the other hand stands out not only because the free wheeling threads but mainly about the general knowledge  and attitude of its members. It seems to me most members have at least been to school for some years?  Respect is another fine premium, we will disagree and sometimes make fun of each other but just visit the BMW OC to see how it can go wrong badly. agression agression.

For me the current LOC is almost a daily read and i would not change a thing.  

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Sundance said:

If we're going to quote Churchill it would be nice to get it somewhere near accurate ...

BTW ... Shell V-Power petrol £175.9 off Jct 6 M25 ... that's near as damn it £8 per gallon! 🤬

For the avoidance of doubt Rowley, from the editor of the Churchill Institute ;

Bessie Braddock MP: “Winston, you are drunk, and what’s more you are disgustingly drunk.”

WSC: “Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what’s more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow
I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly.”

This world famous encounter occurred late one night in 1946, as Churchill was leaving the House of Commons. Lady Soames, who said her father was always gallant to ladies, doubted the story, but Mr. Golding explained that WSC was not drunk, just tired and unsteady, which perhaps caused him to fire the full arsenal.

Only later did I learn that he was probably relying on his photographic memory for this riposte: In the 1934 movie It’s a Gift, W. C. Fields’s character, when told he is drunk, responds, “Yeah, and you’re crazy. But I’ll be sober tomorrow and you’ll be crazy the rest of your life.” So the Bessie Braddock encounter was really Churchill editing W. C. Fields.

Richard M. Langworth, Editor
Finest Hour

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

caused him to fire the full arsenal.

and if chelsea had been in the firing line then that would have been a target too ..  especially now with Poo Tin Tin wreaking insanity stuff everywhere

33 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Bessie Braddock

Blimey, I remember her too ..........  jeez I'm so so old !

Malc

1 hour ago, Sundance said:

I would not know what the correct quote is as I have now read so many more or less equal. We cannot ask the old drunk as he is not here any-more, and about price of fuel: I have not been out today, so do not know how much more expensive it is. But fear that next time the little tank needs more it will not be cheaper.

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

I would not know what the correct quote is as I have now read so many more or less equal. We cannot ask the old drunk as he is not here any-more, and about price of fuel: I have not been out today, so do not know how much more expensive it is. But fear that next time the little tank needs more it will not be cheaper.

What is not in doubt is when he said; "The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."😐. So you were right about fuel but that's all. To accuse Mr Churchill of being old is a chronological certainty for most of us so hardly an example of acerbic wit. As to having a predeliction for the drink that also applies to a lot of us, difference being we will never know, thank goodness, what it must mean to lead a nation against a nihilistic tyrant. Go ask Mr Zelansky for advice. In closing Mr Churchill also said "I have taken more out of alcohol than it's taken out of me" 

I believe the Churchill quote most relevant to some of this thread is

‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

He was a meddling old bugger and got a lot of things wrong but he got that one right.

BTW, at the 2019 UK general election if you wanted to vote for a party that was NOT going to phase out ICE vehicles you would have had to pick one other than the Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru, SNP, DUP and the Greens. The only difference with the Conservatives was that they did not specify a date (but would consult on the "earliest date" etc.). They chose that date soon after being elected. Presumably Elon (or is it Bill?) got to them too 🤔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malc said:

and if chelsea had been in the firing line then that would have been a target too ..  especially now with Poo Tin Tin wreaking insanity stuff everywhere

Blimey, I remember her too ..........  jeez I'm so so old !

Malc

Malc! You're thinking of Fanny Craddock 🤣

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

You're thinking of Fanny Craddock

nope, I well remember her too ............  the precursor to Gordon from Ramsay

Malc

32 minutes ago, Malc said:

nope, I well remember her too ............  the precursor to Gordon from Ramsay

Malc

Think you will find Philip Harben fits that bill 😎

Philp Harben ......  never heard of him .... or I'm getting soooo forgetful I know :unsure:

just checked him out on wiki and nope, never heard of him . didn't watch too much tv in those days .  i was constantly " loved up " as teenagers are, or were in those halcyon days ..... and had more useful and fun interesting things on my mind ..  thankfully :yahoo:

Malc

49 minutes ago, Malc said:

Philp Harben ......  never heard of him .... or I'm getting soooo forgetful I know :unsure:

just checked him out on wiki and nope, never heard of him . didn't watch too much tv in those days .  i was constantly " loved up " as teenagers are, or were in those halcyon days ..... and had more useful and fun interesting things on my mind ..  thankfully :yahoo:

Malc

you will know him when you see him on youtube tho`

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Malc! You're thinking of Fanny Craddock 🤣

And I recall as a youngster watching her baking demonstration programme at the end of which husband Johnny memorably wished the audience his hope that ‘may your doughnuts turn out like Fanny’s’.

They don’t write them like that anymore. 😒

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LenT said:

And I recall as a youngster watching her baking demonstration programme at the end of which husband Johnny memorably wished the audience his hope that ‘may your doughnuts turn out like Fanny’s’.

They don’t write them like that anymore. 😒

Not heard that before Len - marvellous, but it clearly falls foul of Paul's earlier suggested topics to bare, oops meant Barr 😅

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

you will know him when you see him on youtube tho`

But had you done so Malc think how much your life would be enriched today 🤣

44 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

think how much your life would be enriched today

possibly but life's enrichment with teenage fun was, of course, paramount and never to be repeated ......... and those days lost would not have really been well compensated with cookery skills methinks

Malc

• Haha 1

It has probably been discussed earlier, so apologies if redundant: I'm about to fuel up, which made me look at where petrol's coming from in the UK. Apparently, none of it is from Russia. Full tank it is then.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links