Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

10 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Support Ukraine. Support global warming. Support whatever you want.

We support the war-machine factories and the tyrants. The stupid politicians try to make us think that we help. They succeed as they will be re-elected.

The world is ruled by economy - money - and nothing else matters as long as we are stupid enough to select the same idiots to rule. We have no-one to blame.

You forgot to add gradual decommissioning of combustion engine cars to that.

The world is no different now than it was 10 years ago, the only difference is whatever scaremongering bull government's tell you.  

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

You forgot to add gradual decommissioning of combustion engine cars to that.

The world is no different now than it was 10 years ago, the only difference is whatever scaremongering bull government's tell you.  

I don't agree with that last sentence.   Politicians may be the same like industrialists, but there are far more cars on the road than 10 years ago. I observe this locally in the number of parked cars near me and in other places I visit and congestion. Increasingly both partners in a relationship have a car and as soon as their children are old enough, many of them get cars too.  The foregoing applies to one of my two daughters and the other in all respects other than she does not currently have a partner living with her.  Also, just look at the way more people have cars in  developing countries, so the demand for fuel increases worldwide  and with it the cost and amount of pollution.  Also, whenever I use certain roads I am surprised at the number of lorries also making an impact.

Pollution from vehicles is a significant contributor to pollution and in my view it is right for Governments to incentivise the use of less polluting vehicles and aircraft, also to encourage other industries to be more efficient and less polluting.  

People love the convenience of their cars so particularly away from large towns, bus services become less used resulting in reduced or in some cases non existent bus services.  This in turn leads to more people relying on private cars. While it can be argued that BEV's only put much of the pollution elsewhere, it makes sense to reduce pollution in busy areas where it is high and adversely affects health.

Actually, the Government has been quite successful in getting people not to start or to give up smoking, even though reduced sales means less tax despite higher tax rates.  So campaigns can work.

Of course I am going to complain about the escalating cost of fuel which was bound to happen with increasing demand and sanctions against Russia.  But the Government have to raise sufficient money so we begin to pay our way and begin  to reduce the debt much increased by borrowing during the pandemic.  It will be interesting to see when most people are driving non ICE cars how lost tax on these will be recovered.  

I

• Like 4

On 6/14/2022 at 8:49 PM, Las Palmas said:

I believe several accident happened in the past because of faulty brakes and some of these may have been caused by not qualified repair personnel.

I'm sure, but not enough to justify legislation and even then it won't guarantee it fixes the issue.

99% of drivers on the road are qualified to drive - that doesn't eliminate drivers being at fault in accidents.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

99% of drivers on the road are qualified to drive - that doesn't eliminate drivers being at fault in accidents.

probably 99% of the time too :whistling:

Malc

Whether there are more cars on the road or average fuel consumption is better than 10 years ago in Bristol where I live they have closed so many roads, cut throughs and made areas no go that every journey I take seems to be 3 times the distance it used to be. And that can not be helpful the mission of reducing emissions.

what is clearly reducing emissions these past days, and i suspect for some months to come, is the clear experience of seeing much much less traffic on the roads this past week .....  I'm thinking the fuel price has simply driven people to park-up and hide away their keys .......  non-use will have a brilliant effect on the planet's health ....  the Green Brigade will be rejoicing I'm sure

Better for me to put me foot down and burn a little more V8 juices :yahoo:

Malc

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2022 at 4:49 PM, Winston said:

Whether there are more cars on the road or average fuel consumption is better than 10 years ago in Bristol where I live they have closed so many roads, cut throughs and made areas no go that every journey I take seems to be 3 times the distance it used to be. And that can not be helpful the mission of reducing emissions.

And adding pointless bike lanes - and park and rides -- in Yate they spent £4.5 million on a park and ride that no body uses, and idiotic bike lanes to Bristol taking up valuable road space heading into one of the most congested cities in England.

Bristol has so many charging points its like the land of the future

b1OqLee.jpg

Its like they are deliberately wearing out the patience of people

• Like 1

9 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

And adding pointless bike lanes - and park and rides -- in Yate they spent £4.5 million on a park and ride that no body uses, and idiotic bike lanes to Bristol taking up valuable road space.

I feel like some of you guys have some real anger issues!! The reason why cities all over are closing off roads is to get people out of their cars. Believe it or not it does make a difference to cyclists.

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Believe it or not it does make a difference to cyclists.

AND a huge difference to motorists who have frustrations heaped upon them  ....  who actually pay for the roads too

Is there a sensible reason why cyclists don't pay a road tax on their bicycles ...  just as car owners pay ?

And is insurance also compulsory for cyclists too ?

And why shouldn't bicycles have an annual MOT type official test ?

Malc

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Malc said:

AND a huge difference to motorists who have frustrations heaped upon them  ....  who actually pay for the roads too

Is there a sensible reason why cyclists don't pay a road tax on their bicycles ...  just as car owners pay ?

And is insurance also compulsory for cyclists too ?

And why shouldn't bicycles have an annual MOT type official test ?

Malc

I pay no road tax either on my car, are you going to ban me from driving?

Pedestrians walk on the roads, cross roads, they have no insurance, may we should only allow those with walking insurance cross the road?

Classic cars have no need for MOT, ban them from the roads too?

14 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

I pay no road tax either on my car, are you going to ban me from driving?

:wink3:  such temptation  ......  I think it's offensive to the road tax paying people ( me anyway ) that any modern car gets away with effectively sponging on other road tax payers for their useage of the roads etc

......... pedestrians aren't " driving "  .............  and if a bicycle is classic pre 1972 then they don't need to pay road tax either ...........  no problem for me at all :thumbsup:

Malc

30 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

We were all somewhat impecunious once

I felt quite rich as a Banker .  a young junior . on my £450 a year salary .........  then my first £4,600 mortgage ..  jeez, that was tough going in them there 'ard days for sure:whistling:

and I remember the 2/- pint of ale too 

Malc

6 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Compared to a Breitling Navitimer with pilot bracelet I agree Malc 😎

I`ve just valued my 1965 Omega Seamaster, mum and dad gave to me for my 21st and I could not hold back the tears, Phil. How they must have scrimped and saved and just after the War too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve just valued my 1965 Omega Seamaster, mum and dad gave to me for my 21st and I could not hold back the tears, Phil. How they must have scrimped and saved and just after the War too.

It my case, Longine, but yes, same sentiment. And wasn't being 21 such a momentous occasion back then? A grown up, without a care in the world. who would have thought it 🥳. It didn't last, married not too long after, a mortgage, responsible job managing a factory. 🤯. But far better than our parents 6 year stint. Good Post John thanks. 

• Like 2

With the on going saga with petrol and diesel prices -

A lithium Battery car fire took Firemen 4 hours to put out, using 9000 L of water; 5 Fire Engines; 1 water tender; 2 Fire Battalion Chiefs & 1 Hazmat Officer to control the scene. They had to turn the car on its side to access the lithium Battery to put the fire out. 

A lithium battery-powered bus in China caught fire & spread the fire to a total of 50 adjacent lithium Battery buses.

and....

Totaled Tesla goes up in flames three weeks after crash a pit and 20,500 L of water were needed to put it out

and..

It was a lithium Battery on a WV all-electric car that caused the fire that sank an entire car carrier ship in the Atlantic ocean -- check the google

When PG&E shut the power off for a week during the Northern CA wildfires, no one could charge their EV cars (unless they had a gas or diesel powered generator)—time they didn’t have to spend charging them during immediate evacuations. Those who couldn’t— who had to abandon their lithium Battery car during emergent evacuations—when their lithium Battery car caught fire, it created a toxic magenta-pink ash cloud.

A single Tesla Battery weighing 1,000 pounds requires extracting & processing some 500,000 pounds of materials. At this rate, over the next 30 years, we will need to mine more mineral ores than humans have extracted over the last 70,000 years -- forecast for EVs between 2030-2035 will mean tens of Billions of batteries need mining

Tyres on a EV need to be replaced much sooner than on a ICE car - so add burned tyres to the climate change manifesto.

people still think its about the climate? 

I said it a few times, but the problem with society now is we are too dumb and dont question anything - the smart people always ask questions when things go awry, I am a  Electronic Engineer with first hand experience working with lithium batteries and I am asking questions every day in my job about everyting I come across, let alone what is going on in the world over the last few years - so batteries, I know all about them - I have rigged up a basic but still quite dangerous 100W solar panel in my new shed to feed my outdoor lighting in the new decking area I have done, its good for that kinda stuff - EVs are a different kettle of fish entirely, the majority of people have simply no idea what they are getting into

All we are told is they are saving the planet which is absolute BS, to put it mild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2022 at 11:29 AM, royoftherovers said:

I like a good watch and have a few in my collection worth 'a bit' and they can say much about someone -  I am not a fan of Rolex, they do very good watches no doubt but much of it is due to marketing, ask anyone in the world to name a prestigious watch and they will most likely say Rolex - what they wont mention is IWC,  Audemars-Piguet, Grand Seiko, A. Lange & Söhne, Vacheron Constantin, Patek Philippe and probably others I missed. A good watch is an investment and you cannot underestimate the craftsmanship and skill involved in making the watches mentioned, like this

Grand-Seiko-GMT-SBGM235G-9S-Mechanical-20th-Anniversary-1.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 8:37 PM, Barry14UK said:

....when most people are driving non ICE cars how lost tax on these will be recovered.

They will sure miss the £600+ VED on my car,  they blamed Covid for everything previously - now they are blaming Putins WW3 - oil war on the west. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 6:36 AM, ganzoom said:

I feel like some of you guys have some real anger issues!! The reason why cities all over are closing off roads is to get people out of their cars. Believe it or not it does make a difference to cyclists.

You mean the dozen or so cycling taking up a road space that takes thousands of cars each day into one of the busiest city in the England? of which it has  a few dozen charge points to charge up EVs- and probably get fined £100 in the process for staying too long

I have no anger issues, just a brain - I suggest you drive down to Bristol and see how bad it is - then factor in major arterial roads getting basically chopped in half for a few bikes, not only are you increasing polution due to congestion you are making it ever more worse for emergency services to navigate the ever ending mayhem.

A brain its called

Filled up the IS300H for the first time in 6 weeks.....£99 and the thing was only just full!! 

How are you guys who do proper millage in combustion car managing?!

I have told me wife to essentially stop using the IS300H and to use EV unless we have no choice. Am amazed so many people are still able to run RangeRovers etc, they must be getting on £200/tank.

24 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

Filled up the IS300H for the first time in 6 weeks.....£99 and the thing was only just full!! 

How are you guys who do proper millage in combustion car managing?!

I have told me wife to essentially stop using the IS300H and to use EV unless we have no choice. Am amazed so many people are still able to run RangeRovers etc, they must be getting on £200/tank.

Dont need a RR, you need a large fuel tank, mine is 65L - Have been paying in or around £100 for a tank for a while and that is around 50L I filled up with

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links