Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

15 hours ago, peniole said:

Is that with or without the range extender? Been a passenger in one without, bit hard suspended for my taste.

1300kg with the range extender engine……and yes the models with 20” alloy wheels and/or the sports package do ride harder than the standard i3 with 19” wheels, I wouldn’t go for a sport/20” wheel model myself, it’s not really supposed to be a sports car 😄

16 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

Ever since covid 19 the world has been ***** - and there are far too many global events happening for it to be a coincidence either but you are fully aboard the EV, # net zero bandwagon as much as you fail to see problems with requiring boosters after being fully vaxed, requiring face masks after being fully vaxxed and needing testing after being fully vaxxed, not to mention needing hospital treatment after being fully vaxxed.  Folks like you will never admit to be anything but politically correct in listening to everything you are told

EVs are digital, certainly more so than traditional cars and it will only get worse with the level of integration we are seeing - you are not an Electronic Engineer and you don’t have a degree or a masters in the subject so its futile trying to explain anything - your knowledge of lithium batteries is zero apart from what google (or experts) tells you - I have industry wide experience including commercial compliance of products. 

And anything I said about EVs are not 'scare' stories, you think that batteries grow on trees, don’t you? you ignore articles where a Skoda loses 120 miles range hauling a caravan in 35 minutes and you think it makes financial sense to plunder £60k on a EV because you cannot afford a tank of petrol.

I have no idea what covid has to do with EVs and petrol pricing but, as you're the electronics engineer and I'm not, I'll trust your expertise in claiming a link.

Firstly, I'm not fully aboard the EV bandwagon. I've already said that I don't think it's entirely there yet and, if I had to buy a car today, it would likely be petrol or hybrid. My previous car was 4 litre petrol V8. Nor do I understand why you keep repeating £60k as the entry point for EVs, when they're available for half that. In 10 years time we'll probably see price parity.

If I fail to see problems with boosters after being fully vaxxed it's because I'm not aware of any. What I am aware of though, is that since vaccination (and boosters) arrived, there's been a substantial decllne in the number of people dying of covid. Another spooky coincidence perhaps? Nor have I been required to wear a face mask or be tested since being fully vaccinated. Of course some people will still be hospitalised; vaccination isn't a cure, it's mitigation, that can never be 100% foolproof. In fact, with the lifting of mask mandates, and people returning to the normality of mixing in groups, an uptick in cases and hospitalisations was bound to happen. For an engineer I'd have thought you'd have more understanding of cause and effect, and value it more highly than coincidence.

Nor do I need to be an electrical engineer to know that any new car built today is capable of having the same digital control and monitoring technology fitted, whether EV, ICE or steam powered. Pretty much all new ICE cars have sat navs and ECUs that can be configured to do the job. EVs are not special in that regard and, if EVs were dropped, and governments really wanted to do the things you claimed, they'd digitalise whatever form of transport was available. Not being an expert like you though, I accept that you might have a point. So perhaps you can highlight what is unique about EVs that enables them to be controlled and monitored in ways that no other vehicle can?

You're right on one thing though. I have little to no knowledge of lithium batteries. However, I'm not sure how they fit in with the conspiracy, as you didn't mention them in the last post I replied to. You also failed to answer my question about pointing me to the WEF literature that matches the claims you were making, so maybe the switch to lithium batteries was a distraction, or another mole to whack.

As for towing, I've already accepted that there are presently limitations to EVs. That said, Autocar paints a slightly more positive picture of the Skoda as a towing vehicle than the anedoctal tale in the Sun that you referred to.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/range-game-how-viable-are-evs-towing

Either way, I have never claimed that towing limitations are a scare story, they're a practical reality. The scare stories are covid conspiracies, WEF secret agendas, and that governments are only pushing EVs to control us.

As for good news, the Sainsurys local in Putney has since dropped to £1.59, and Esso in Sheen to £1.60. They're obviously monitoring this thread and acting accordingly. Or is it just coincidence 😉

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I have no idea what covid has to do with EVs and petrol pricing but, as you're the electronics engineer and I'm not, I'll trust your expertise in claiming a link.

I cured all posts from Mr Pie, my solution served a double purpose 🤣

1CA5D47D-7808-4813-91EF-19C30580552B.thumb.jpeg.54758bee8da85b54dea2f8616e29e35d.jpeg

oh yes, and the ignore button 👍

• Haha 1

The simplest way of solving Fuel Panic is to start driving a lighter car, like we used to do some decades ago. Below is a link of an interesting article about the effect of ever heavier cars, SUV's and the regulations in the automotive climate. It is from 2020 but still very on the ball.

https://thecorrespondent.com/310/your-car-has-a-weight-problem-and-we-need-to-regulate-it

• Like 1

Come to think of it, what was the lightest car you guys drove?

Mine for sure one of the three 2CV's I owned. 550kg! But it had no crumple zone, it was a crumple zone. 

it was always thus ....  put less junk in your boot to lighten the load to improve mpg

take stuff off the roof

chuck out excess passengers 

you know, just lightening the daily load to improve mpg

then you can run your V8 with impunity knowing you're doing your bit to save the planet 

Malc

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

the lightest car you guys drove

for me probably my little Mazda 323f  or maybe my Peugeot 205

ah NO, my Hillman Imp surely back new in 1969

Malc

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

Mine for sure one of the three 2CV's I owned. 550kg! But it had no crumple zone, it was a crumple zone. 

A white simca 1100 😎

3 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Firstly, I'm not fully aboard the EV bandwagon. I've already said that I don't think it's entirely there yet and, if I had to buy a car today, it would likely be petrol or hybrid. My previous car was 4 litre petrol V8. Nor do I understand why you keep repeating £60k as the entry point for EVs, when they're available for half that. In 10 years time we'll probably see price parity.

If I fail to see problems with boosters after being fully vaxxed it's because I'm not aware of any. What I am aware of though, is that since vaccination (and boosters) arrived, there's been a substantial decllne in the number of people dying of covid. Another spooky coincidence perhaps? Nor have I been required to wear a face mask or be tested since being fully vaccinated. Of course some people will still be hospitalised; vaccination isn't a cure, it's mitigation, that can never be 100% foolproof. In fact, with the lifting of mask mandates, and people returning to the normality of mixing in groups, an uptick in cases and hospitalisations was bound to happen. For an engineer I'd have thought you'd have more understanding of cause and effect, and value it more highly than coincidence.

Nor do I need to be an electrical engineer to know that any new car built today is capable of having the same digital control and monitoring technology fitted, whether EV, ICE or steam powered. Pretty much all new ICE cars have sat navs and ECUs that can be configured to do the job. EVs are not special in that regard and, if EVs were dropped, and governments really wanted to do the things you claimed, they'd digitalise whatever form of transport was available. Not being an expert like you though, I accept that you might have a point. So perhaps you can highlight what is unique about EVs that enables them to be controlled and monitored in ways that no other vehicle can?

You're right on one thing though. I have little to no knowledge of lithium batteries. However, I'm not sure how they fit in with the conspiracy, as you didn't mention them in the last post I replied to. You also failed to answer my question about pointing me to the WEF literature that matches the claims you were making, so maybe the switch to lithium batteries was a distraction, or another mole to whack.

As for towing, I've already accepted that there are presently limitations to EVs. That said, Autocar paints a slightly more positive picture of the Skoda as a towing vehicle than the anedoctal tale in the Sun that you referred to.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/range-game-how-viable-are-evs-towing

Either way, I have never claimed that towing limitations are a scare story, they're a practical reality. The scare stories are covid conspiracies, WEF secret agendas, and that governments are only pushing EVs to control us.

As for good news, the Sainsurys local in Putney has since dropped to £1.59, and Esso in Sheen to £1.60. They're obviously monitoring this thread and acting accordingly. Or is it just coincidence 😉

Don't know about you but I make it a rule not to argue with Cretins, to do so means you have to reduce yourself to their level and in doing so they will win by sheer experience 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

The simplest way of solving Fuel Panic is to start driving a lighter car, like we used to do some decades ago. Below is a link of an interesting article about the effect of ever heavier cars, SUV's and the regulations in the automotive climate. It is from 2020 but still very on the ball.

https://thecorrespondent.com/310/your-car-has-a-weight-problem-and-we-need-to-regulate-it

In fairness, the author openly hates SUVs.

For complete disclosure, I drive one, so I'm biased too 🙂

It wouldn't surprise me to see a weight based tax at some point. Not for planet saving purposes, although that would be the excuse, but for revenue generation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a weight based tax at some point. Not for planet saving purposes, although that would be the excuse, but for revenue generation.

Might that also apply to people Bill? 🤔😜

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

my local Tesco today E10   152.9       ...... about bloody time too.....  plus 8p for E5  I  s'pose 

Malc

Is that the opening of the pipeline across the Thames?  🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

That weight based tax wont be kind to bloated EVs then? Guess you have no idea a tesla Battery pack is over half a tonne - nope, thought so.

On 10/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, Phil xxkr said:

Don't know about you but I make it a rule not to argue with Cretins, to do so means you have to reduce yourself to their level and in doing so they will win by sheer experience 😎

It’s well and good saying that but people like you are waiting for curves to flatten and think EVs are good for the planet
But you drive a SUV so must be a powerfully built dictator.

On 10/4/2022 at 12:28 PM, Bluemarlin said:

You went to heap of trouble to type all that - like I said many a time - folks like you will never have your opinion changed - if experts told you drive backwards to work to save net zero things you probably would

And there is zero point talking Electronics as you haven’t a clue, I suggest you meet some Engineers at JLR, Audi or Mercedes who will confirm that cars of now and the future have little to nothing in common with older cars - no point in talking about this in a Lexus forum to someone like you

EVs are catastrophic for the planet, but wasn’t it you who said we can make batteries in some man-made island away from populated cities - that is a game changer that

Politicians are never on your side, look at covid - there is an inquiry now I believe, all that spurious data was hogwash – third party’s telling lies upon lies to feed the pharmaceutical industry - so when they go banning perfectly reliable combustion engine cars which have been reliably made since the 1800s over EVs that nobody can afford I would start to ask some questions, you don’t even realise that ICE cars are not even main contributors to global greenhouse warming,  in England the contribution is < 1% of all greenhouse gases - but its ok we can spunk £60k on a EV to get net zero compliant - sounds wonderful idea that, where do I sign up.

Ask questions and don’t get your answers from someone who is paid off by a third parties – the smartest people always question everything

12 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

the smartest people always question everything

wish wish wish .....  if only they did the world would be a better place

and it's a well proven fact that politicians, in whom we trust, mostly aren't even " smart " people  .  and if they did question everything then they might actually be able to rule us poor old imbeciles ( by comparison, well me anyway  ) with an ounce of sense and good knowledge ...  which clearly they can't

Jeez, I even had to ask today if I had my pneumonia jab ( sis-in-law just had hers ) .....  I couldn't remember .  the surgery told me YES of course i had, why couldn't i remember that even .  jeez, it was only back in 2002 🤑  ............  my mind's going eh !

NOW, back to Fuel Panic  please don't tell Putin about the new link twixt Southend and Sheppey over / under the Thames 

Malc

On 10/4/2022 at 1:52 PM, dutchie01 said:

We had three 2CVs as well....one at a time though, not sure if they would be lighter than a 1965 Mini though, probably?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

like I said many a time - folks like you will never have your opinion changed

Oh, the irony!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Meet engineers from JLR 🤣  I was working with them for over 35 years, even back in the late 80’s we were developing and testing radar cruise control, a crude autonomous control of steering control and an IR night vision system under the EU Prometheus project, and modern vehicles are nothing like cars of old eh? 

Don’t worry your still on ignore, I saw your post through Bluemarlin’s post.👍

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, LenT said:

Oh, the irony!!

You are not allowed say nothing are you - that’s Irony for you! why else has my CDC data been deleted - doesn’t fit the agenda does it - and it was from an official source, not something I mashed up on microsoft powerpoint - but its doesnt matter one bit.

Everything is propaganda brainwashing B.S. 

Covid 19, Net Zero and the Energy war. 3 thousand deaths in the summer attributed to the heatwave (says experts) I guess the thousand plus excess deaths we see each week now are from the autumn weather.

It’s never been easier to make mugs of folks like you - the news outlets making a killing from third party funding

On 10/6/2022 at 7:07 PM, Boxbrownie said:

Meet engineers from JLR 🤣  I was working with them for over 35 years, even back in the late 80’s we were developing and testing radar cruise control, a crude autonomous control of steering control and an IR night vision system under the EU Prometheus project, and modern vehicles are nothing like cars of old eh? 

Don’t worry your still on ignore, I saw your post through Bluemarlin’s post.👍

Ignore is good - keep listening to the 'experts'  they will look after you and make sure your net zero objectives are met 👍

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links