Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

There is zero financial incentive for me to get an EV - but like you said and I previously mentioned governments very kindly put us in this situation

And the above post confirms my suspicion that governments and auto manufacturers have mega money agreements between them to make this happen, decommissioning of combustion engine cars around since the 1800s doesn’t happen without planning – and $$$$$, nobody is asking questions however.

Hi. Curious about your Subaru. Wondering how the metal coolant pipes about the engine are holding up? Have there been any more rear brakline recalls lately? I am out of that loop now having sold my manual wagon (loved it) a while back.  

That aside, in the spirit of this ongoing argu.... I mean discussion. I did get 32mpg out of my old Manual Spec B wagon ONCE, so they will do over 25mpg. I was coasting down a rather long hill with the engine turned off and a hurricane for a tailwind but lets look past that.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Not so Ed. Yes it's true when you allow other people to affect and ultimately control your emotions. When you, and you alone charge it's pretty liberating 👍

"change" 🤯

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

EVs are useless out of town aren't they

probably as useless as conventional fuelled cars too :wink3:

Malc

13 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

When you, and you alone charge it's pretty liberating 👍

^^ Try telling that to Lord Cardigan!

Mind you, in a thread increasingly about EV range, ‘charge’ may have been an appropriate slip of the keyboard…😆

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

The problem Phil is that human psychology dictates that one always wants what one does not have?

Unless you're Sinead O'Connor

Idonotwantwhatihaventgot.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ Try telling that to Lord Cardigan!

Mind you, in a thread increasingly about EV range, ‘charge’ may have been an appropriate slip of the keyboard…😆

Actually Ed, he survived Balaclava, and the fact it's being talked about today and the foreseeable future wasn't a bad result. Don't let Erroll Flynn's film colour your history, or should that be B&W 😅

• Haha 2

The one advantage EV cars have is if you own your own solar panels and wind turbines. Otherwise, hydrogen is better in every other respect.

It seems we can no longer afford fossil fuels which is why they're scaremongering. The Independent shows two weather maps with the lower temperatures during the current supposed heatwave doctored to look scary:

731331761_ScaryWeatherMap.thumb.png.c83d753011757e2b7688a71ac267e43f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Actually Ed, he survived Balaclava, and the fact it's being talked about today and the foreseeable future wasn't a bad result. Don't let Erroll Flynn's film colour your history, or should that be B&W 😅

The only film on that subject worth watching is the 1970s (?) version with Trevor Howard and Vanessa Redgrave!

Thinking about it, my limited knowledge of that campaign - from memory - is that Lord Lucan got the blame. That’s what the film suggests anyway.

The scene where Peter Bowles’ wife (Redgrave) sleeps with Lord Cardigan (Howard) is hilarious, and worth a watch if you haven’t seen it or have forgotten it. Different times…😄

21 hours ago, EP80 said:

Hi. Curious about your Subaru. Wondering how the metal coolant pipes about the engine are holding up? Have there been any more rear brakline recalls lately? I am out of that loop now having sold my manual wagon (loved it) a while back.  

That aside, in the spirit of this ongoing argu.... I mean discussion. I did get 32mpg out of my old Manual Spec B wagon ONCE, so they will do over 25mpg. I was coasting down a rather long hill with the engine turned off and a hurricane for a tailwind but lets look past that.

32mpg after my trip to Ireland, 400 odd miles going as fast or faster than the NSL allows

you might notice that is S# mode but going by your post I doubt that means anything 

No problems with running a Subaru, a whole lot more interesting than a EV with as much character as a Nun.

If you want to drive a EV and it makes you happy fair play but not everyone is a sheep. 

Another MOT pass a while ago too - 134,514 miles and no advisories - dont make em like they used to - the tester said keep it.

L3ZNrRO.jpg

https://imgur.com/DbGrLYN

2 hours ago, flotsam said:

The one advantage EV cars have is if you own your own solar panels and wind turbines. Otherwise, hydrogen is better in every other respect.

It seems we can no longer afford fossil fuels which is why they're scaremongering. The Independent shows two weather maps with the lower temperatures during the current supposed heatwave doctored to look scary:

731331761_ScaryWeatherMap.thumb.png.c83d753011757e2b7688a71ac267e43f.png

Giving the red highlighter a bit of a workout 

2 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

32mpg after my trip to Ireland, you might notice that is S# mode but going by your post I doubt that means anything 

No problems with running a Subaru, a whole lot more interesting than a EV with as much character as a Nun.

If you want to drive a EV and it makes you happy fair play but not everyone is a sheep. 

https://imgur.com/L3ZNrRO

https://imgur.com/DbGrLYN

The one I had years ago was a pre-facelift model, so it didn't have SI drive. Good to hear these are still some good ones about. 

3 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

I get that an EV isn't everyone's cup of tea, but why do you feel that those who buy them are sheep?

I suspect that the majority of car owners see a car as a means of getting from A to B,  and aren't concerned about the nuances that the minority of "enthusiasts" care about. In other words, most don't care if it's powered by a petrol V8, an electric motor, or hamsters on a wheel, as long as it does what's required of it.

Nor do I think the majority buy EV's to virtue signal their green credentials, as if the fuel costs were the same, or higher, they probably wouldn't bother. Instead they're likely drawn to the lower maintenance requirements and cheaper running costs, and so it's a financial decision. Sure, given the higher cost of entry, many might not factor in the total cost of ownership, but people will often favour a higher upfront cost in return for lower ongoing ones.

I  drive a hybrid SUV, something I might have sneered at several years ago, with its higher upfront cost and fears of expensive Battery or inverter failures. Now though, having done a couple of long distance European trips, averaging 35-40mpg, in such a big, comfortable and reliable car, I think it's great. If it was all electric, and I could have done the trips for a few pounds, instead of several hundred, even better. As the ranges increase, the purchase prices decrease, and charging points become more ubiquitous (which all will), then I suspect most people will feel the same. That won't make people sheep, as they'll simply be choosing the best available option for their needs.

As an aside, I find it amusing that some think it's a global/government conspiracy to drive people out of ICE cars, and into EV's, due to some hidden, nefarious agenda. Especially when 30 or 40 years ago, (probably the same) conspiracy theorists claimed that governments and oil companies were in cahoots in keeping people shackled to dirty, inefficient, expensive to run petrol driven cars, when the technology to produce faster, cleaner, far more efficient, and cheaper to run electric powered cars was available.

• Like 4

... following government's advice to save the world? I would consider one if I had a urban commute but as pointed out the figures are not quite adding up as they don't seem to be a sound financial purchase, the savings you get from them are pointless unless you actually own it. But this is the outcome of what governments demanded but people are lacking sense it seems and would gladly finance a loan to get an electric car because they are told to do so.

There was a brief discussion in the office in the morning about electric cars and the scheme the company are running and we were all in agreement it's not a financially sound decision, purchasing a vehicle you actually own seems to be the favourable option, if you want to spend £200-500 a month leasing out a electric car crack on with it but it's like the heat pump boilers will people root up their house for tens of thousands of pounds to install useless inefficient heat pumps because the government want you to 

My thermometer said the peak temperature up until Sunday was 24.1°C. On Monday it peaked at only 24.6°C. Right now at 15:30 on Tuesday, it's peaking at only 26°C.

I'm pretty sure that 2018 was hotter. Yet we've had the first ever hot weather warning from the Met. office!

What gives?

40 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

There was a brief discussion in the office in the morning about electric cars and the scheme the company are running and we were all in agreement it's not a financially sound decision, purchasing a vehicle you actually own seems to be the favourable option, if you want to spend £200-500 a month leasing out a electric car crack on with it but it's like the heat pump boilers will people root up their house for tens of thousands of pounds to install useless inefficient heat pumps because the government want you to 

A salary sacrifice scheme is the best way to get a new EV if you can. No income tax (not just on the car but insurance and servicing etc), only 2% BIK and whilst there is no upside if used prices remain high, there is no downside if prices fall below predictions because the technology is moving fast.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

... following government's advice to save the world?

I don't believe many are following government's advice to save the world, regardless of what they might claim at dinner parties.

I think most are making a financial decision based on running costs. As I said previously though, that financial decision may be flawed due to high purchase/lease costs, but it's the perception of lower running costs that I believe is the main driver behind people's decisions.

It's still early days though, and its those early adopters who will determine the speed at which purchase prices will fall, as demand and production increase. Eventually, from a cost point of view, the maths will balance out.

• Like 2

Miracles continue to happen. Oil is cheaper, gasoline is cheaper (electricity is not, poor people here have problems paying their electricity bill) and filling the CT is good again.

1_634.thumb.jpg.871ee4c757801e35af017463ae5e37e8.jpg 1.634€ / L

5.8.thumb.jpg.369ad650befdcfb2aadfd0f68db7d7ed.jpg  Car tell me it used 5.8 L/100km since last fuel. Not correct.

528.1.thumb.jpg.1597b6dfd23c8e5dea34e914436e8cf5.jpg  528.1km since refuelling give 6.17 L/100km.

6.2.thumb.jpg.cc01a6fb6064726764c2d7bc9a0ecb78.jpg  overall use since a couple of months 6.2 is very close to correct.

That the same computer can tell that it used 5.8 L/100km since refuel (which is wrong) and show 6.2 L/100km (which is very close to perfect) show that the software is not designed/programmed correct. By accident or on purpose is up to the reader of this to decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flotsam said:

My thermometer said the peak temperature up until Sunday was 24.1°C. On Monday it peaked at only 24.6°C. Right now at 15:30 on Tuesday, it's peaking at only 26°C.

I'm pretty sure that 2018 was hotter. Yet we've had the first ever hot weather warning from the Met. office!

What gives?

Not sure where you are in the UK, but here in West Berkshire it was 95F yesterday and 97F today (high 30s Centigrade) and tbh I can’t remember such a severe heat as we’ve had for the past two days.

Fortunately it’s forecast to drop sharply overnight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

I don't believe many are following government's advice to save the world, regardless of what they might claim at dinner parties.

^^ I now want to pretend that my choice of a 3.5 powered petrol / hybrid RX which is far larger than I need was because of a desire to save the planet…😆

Totally agree though. I’d reckon that in 80-90% of cases the choice of an EV is based on running costs - assuming range fits lifestyle - amongst people who are used to paying HP or PCP for their vehicles. Air quality and ‘doing their bit’ for the environment is simply a useful justification for the expenditure on a new car. We’ve all done similar, or most of us will have done!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Fortunately it’s forecast to drop sharply overnight. 

Good! I've been WFH in 36 degree heat today. It's approaching 40 degrees outside. I've been wishing that I shared the ability of Prince Andrew not to sweat. In case anyone is wondering if they'll get a thunderstorm tonight, here's a map: https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;ts=1;z=6;y=54.2973;x=-3.5925;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;src=6

• Like 2

In Madrid temperature was above 40 Celsius (friend of mine) and in Seville it is close to that. Forests are burning in France and Spain and probably more places and in Germany they will now start making electricity with coal power. Not that many years ago in the US they burned corn to make electricity.

What we all do to save the planet for coming generations.

said the outside temp here today was 37 C in hot breezy sunny impossible to live with weather in my part of Kent 

Rain will be most welcome pleeeeease

Malc

2 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I think most are making a financial decision based on running costs

These running costs need to be broken down a bit - if you are leasing out a vehicle it probably will work but for other people there are no savings to be had
Take someone with a IS250, perfectly good car in its own right and they want an EV, it will cost more than the IS250 so already they are down money and electricity is going up also and EVs cars need tyres – its not like they have zero annual costs.

I would need a sizable hole in my head to sell my Subaru and get the e208, costing me £8k over two anxiety filled years to be left with nothing at the end
I can lease out an EV no problems but I would much rather get a car I want to drive rather than EVs - plenty to choose from.

Governments have forced people’s hands on this matter no matter which way you look at it – with combustion engine cars having such little global contribution to greenhouse gases I don’t feel why I should feel the burden to buy EVs, particularly when they are not that good for the environment in the first place which is ridiculing the entire matter

2 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

In Madrid temperature was above 40 Celsius (friend of mine) and in Seville it is close to that. Forests are burning in France and Spain and probably more places and in Germany they will now start making electricity with coal power. Not that many years ago in the US they burned corn to make electricity.

What we all do to save the planet for coming generations.

Nothing unusual for Spain

wA6ZA2o.jpg

The only difference was that previously media and news outlets were not like this

QGBCnM8.png

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links