Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

20 minutes ago, Malc said:

UK too has all this of course ...........  doesn't anyone watch David Jason  ........Open All Hours 

or maybe Mr Jones, Dads Army .......... on his Butcher's bike etc

c'mon guys, lighten up on all this ... cyclists will always get mown down by cars and vans and trucks  .......  it's called " sport " surely :whistling:

Malc

Wise words Malcolm, perhaps if one particular user chose to take a step back and look at their posts; they may see that taking a less “two wheels good – four wheels bad“, preaching approach to everyone on the forum, would probably be more productive. Respect to anyone with a lifelong passion and interest in any issue (I have my own subjects close to my heart), but sometimes we also must accept that others may not only have a different view or opinion to us, but that they may also be correct whatever we believe.

Perhaps we should move on from the rights and wrongs of cycle use in the UK? 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Absolutely.

I wish to moan about ring pulls on cans which come off as you try to open the can, thus requiring the intervention of a can opener to complete the operation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mincey said:

Absolutely.

I wish to moan about ring pulls on cans which come off as you try to open the can, thus requiring the intervention of a can opener to complete the operation.

Now that is a moan of the day! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Wise words Malcolm, perhaps if one particular user chose to take a step back and look at their posts; they may see that taking a less “two wheels good – four wheels bad“, preaching approach to everyone on the forum, would probably be more productive. Respect to anyone with a lifelong passion and interest in any issue (I have my own subjects close to my heart), but sometimes we also must accept that others may not only have a different view or opinion to us, but that they may also be correct whatever we believe.

It takes two to tango Maurice. I only stick my head above the parapet when two wheeled users get routinely accused of being cretins / lycra louts and so on. 

This forum never used to be a cycling bashing institution and its important to realise that not all members share the same views as three of four of the usual posters. Thanks for all of your odd little emojis on nearly every post of mine (to which I have reciprocated) however I much prefer face to face discussion. It's clear that you don't fully read my posts and have a perception of me. That's fine, for your information I also drive a 321 bhp, straight six (very fast ) car so the "two wheels good - four wheels bad"  ideology is extremely misplaced.

Toodlepip :wink3: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, doog442 said:

It takes two to tango Maurice. I only stick my head above the parapet when two wheeled users get routinely accused of being cretins / lycra louts and so on. 

This forum never used to be a cycling bashing institution and its important to realise that not all members share the same views as three of four of the usual posters. Thanks for all of your odd little emojis on nearly every post of mine (to which I have reciprocated) however I much prefer face to face discussion. It's clear that you don't fully read my posts and have a perception of me. That's fine, for your information I also drive a 321 bhp, straight six (very fast ) car so the "two wheels good - four wheels bad"  ideology is extremely misplaced.

Toodlepip :wink3: 

Doog, you are as I stated fully entitled to your opinion and views. Have a pleasant day my friend. 😁 

• Like 3

anyone remember the Heartbeat type policeman's ( and others too ) motorized type bicycles ? .  or maybe mopeds were they really .........  two wheels and not a straight 6 one in sight methinks ..... a straight 6 ( 3 ltr )  reminds me of my Wolseley 6/110 days loooooong back ....  50 / 60 years maybe

ah to reminisce eh ! .....  a friend of mine, a youngster in those days ( the 1980's ), had a 3 wheeler bicycle ........ a tricycle .......... did he stop using it coz they were a dangerous style to use, kept toppling over I remember he said ......... :unsure:

Malc

47 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I've resorted to using a wide bladed screwdriver to start it off 👍

I had one of these, which was great for opening ring pull cans and for getting the lids of stubborn jars of jam and marmalade etc, but over the years the rubber has perished and no longer grips as it used to. Rubber really isn't what it was, is it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Opener-Bottle-Openers-Twist/dp/B085PR69ZS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ZR0JNBMFPVOE&keywords=can+openers+for+arthritic+hands&qid=1643121090&sprefix=can+opener%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-6

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I had one of these, which was great for opening ring pull cans and for getting the lids of stubborn jars of jam and marmalade etc, but over the years the rubber has perished and no longer grips as it used to. Rubber really isn't what it was, is it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Opener-Bottle-Openers-Twist/dp/B085PR69ZS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=ZR0JNBMFPVOE&keywords=can+openers+for+arthritic+hands&qid=1643121090&sprefix=can+opener%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-6

I agree, rubbers aren't quite what they used to be hence the escalating birth rate 🤣

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Malc said:

and it goes on ............  ad infinitum   ........  agggghhhh it's Latin phraseology for gods sake :wink3:

Malc

For the avoidance of doubt Malc the word "phraseology" is actually from the Greek 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

For the avoidance of doubt Malc the word "phraseology" is actually from the Greek 🤣

One of the main reasons Ancient Greek used to be taught alongside Latin was the - seemingly largely lost to history - fact that so many of the Germanic languages were heavily influenced by both in antiquity (see what I did there?!).

Nearly everybody knows about Latin, but these days fewer people seem to recognise words of Greek origin. 

My personal experience was that the main (only?) reason we were taught (force fed) Ancient Greek was so we could recite passages from The Iliad at an annual event in front of our parents. In lower school we were allowed the script, but in upper school the relevant passages had to be recited from memory. I’m sure our parents were thrilled having to sit through that every year…😆

Like most people of my vintage, we also had to be word perfect on a selection of hymns sung at the daily school assembly or in chapel. This brings me to a proper moan. I’m not a religious man, although I do confess (sorry, couldn’t resist it) that I enjoy going to church. It’s something about the routine and the comfort that something so familiar, attended with others, brings. Anyway, I digress. What on earth is the point of ‘updating’ hymns or prayers into more modern language, when the whole premise is ancient? Madness I say, madness!

While I’m adding moans, and on a totally unrelated subject, I’ve completed two long motorway journeys in the last couple of days. People who cut in too early when changing lanes. Idiots. They mess up my radar cruise control…😡

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

As is "Phil" but I don't agree with the meaning!

Do you mean as in lover of horses? If so Phil it's a bit more subtle than that. In ancient Greece donkeys were the usual means of transport (even today in some places). But horses were held in the highest regard by the military, hence Phillipos,love/hippos/horse more accurately describes a person who loves the concepts involving military organisation. 

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Do you mean as in lover of horses? If so Phil it's a bit more subtle than that. In ancient Greece donkeys were the usual means of transport (even today in some places). But horses were held in the highest regard by the military, hence Phillipos,love/hippos/horse more accurately describes a person who loves the concepts involving military organisation. 

That's a relief because being a Phil myself I find no love for horses, even though I once owned one!

An entry from my ‘Should know better’ department.

I see that Tim Davie, the Director-General of the BBC, is quoted today as saying that he wants “less people on its books”.

Well I can’t agree with that!

Surely he wants “fewer” people?

Now that might lead to some worthwhile improvements.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LenT said:

An entry from my ‘Should know better’ department.

I see that Tim Davie, the Director-General of the BBC, is quoted today as saying that he wants “less people on its books”.

Well I can’t agree with that!

Surely he wants “fewer” people?

Now that might lead to some worthwhile improvements.

A friend of mine recently (well, about a year ago) gave birth to their first child. He’s a slightly older Father, and quite traditional in his upbringing.

As you’d expect, they have started to review local schools and went to look around some of the local options. In one, they were slightly staggered to be told (words to the effect) that “…grammar and spelling isn’t as important as allowing the child to express themselves freely.” This was a state junior school. To be fair, others were better, and he is content that - for the early years at least - there are good enough options without resorting to the private sector.

High standards when speaking or writing now seem to be seen by many as ‘old fashioned.’ However - and I know the clip I’ve embedded is light-hearted -  it IS still important. It’s hard to complain about an ‘old boys’ network and ‘the establishment’ when we are reinforcing it through the education of our children.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

A friend of mine recently (well, about a year ago) gave birth to their first child. He’s a slightly older Father, and quite traditional in his upbringing.

As you’d expect, they have started to review local schools and went to look around some of the local options. In one, they were slightly staggered to be told (words to the effect) that “…grammar and spelling wasn’t as important as allowing the child to express themselves freely.” This was a state junior school. To be fair, others were better, and he is content that - for the early years at least - there are good enough options without resorting to the private sector.

High standards when speaking or writing now seem to be seen by many as ‘old fashioned.’ However - and I know the clip I’ve embedded is light-hearted -  it IS still important. It’s hard to complain about an ‘old boys’ network and ‘the establishment’ when we are reinforcing it through the education of our children.

I remember being told the same thing by a newly qualified teacher in the early seventies so it's being going on at least since then. My response was to ask if creativity is to be encouraged could it also apply to mathematics, answer = yes. I then asked if I could be creative with the mathematics of how her salary was calculated each month 😱 I was then told that I was being just silly 🤣. Golden life lessons number 1 - what gets measured gets done 👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Moving the moan needle slightly - and I do feel increasingly like a grumpy old man (stop sniggering at the back!) - I’d like to submit ‘tribalism.’

I’m not sure exactly when this happened, but so many people seem to want to identify with a particular group and defend the views and actions of that group sometimes without reason. I was always taught that, in any debate, the real solution was often somewhere in the middle of the two opposing views. These days, I fear too many people simply believe their view is ‘right’ and every other view is ‘wrong.’ Thus, almost everything becomes tribal.

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I enjoy tribalism as much as the next man. I’m a football fan - but when tribalism becomes violent or unpleasant it has gone too far. A good example in recent years are Parliamentary Select Committees. They used to be excellent forums for cross-party understanding and debate for the public good but - and I think this started with the Public Accounts Committee - these days they are more of an opportunity for reinforcing the various political tribes. Those called to answer questions are now often criticised that their views are ‘wrong’ in some way with the result that they simply stop telling their version of the truth and accept the consensus. That’s just madness.

Another example. I was always taught that ‘nationalism’ for its own sake was dangerous. Perhaps not surprising given the events of the C20th, but when did ‘some nationalism’ become acceptable? Step forward Nicola Sturgeon…

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Moving the moan needle slightly - and I do feel increasingly like a grumpy old man (stop sniggering at the back!) - I’d like to submit ‘tribalism.’

I’m not sure exactly when this happened, but so many people seem to want to identify with a particular group and defend the views and actions of that group sometimes without reason. I was always taught that, in any debate, the real solution was often somewhere in the middle of the two opposing views. These days, I fear too many people simply believe their view is ‘right’ and every other view is ‘wrong.’ Thus, almost everything becomes tribal.

Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I enjoy tribalism as much as the next man. I’m a football fan - but when tribalism becomes violent or unpleasant it has gone too far. A good example in recent years are Parliamentary Select Committees. They used to be excellent forums for cross-party understanding and debate for the public good but - and I think this started with the Public Accounts Committee - these days they are more of an opportunity for reinforcing the various political tribes. Those called to answer questions are now often criticised that their views are ‘wrong’ in some way with the result that they simply stop telling their version of the truth and accept the consensus. That’s just madness.

Another example. I was always taught that ‘nationalism’ for its own sake was dangerous. Perhaps not surprising given the events of the C20th, but when did ‘some nationalism’ become acceptable? Step forward Nicola Sturgeon…

Excellent moan and becoming more true every day, even see it on this forum. 😩

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, First_Lexus said:

While I’m adding moans, and on a totally unrelated subject, I’ve completed two long motorway journeys in the last couple of days. People who cut in too early when changing lanes. Idiots. They mess up my radar cruise control…😡

👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links