Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote Parking

Can't find any mention of it in these forums, but the MY22 Lexus NX brochure claims that from spring 2022, NX models with have a remote park feature, allowing you to stand outside the vehicle and park it remotely from your phone app.   Useful for those tight spaces in multi-storey car parks.   Apparently, it will be delivered to existing NX models with the advanced pack via software update.    See page 7 of this resource:

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/lexus/documents/brochures/models/2022/MY22-Lexus-NX-Brochure.pdf

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stumpyuk said:

Can't find any mention of it in these forums, but the MY22 Lexus NX brochure claims that from spring 2022, NX models with have a remote park feature, allowing you to stand outside the vehicle and park it remotely from your phone app.   Useful for those tight spaces in multi-storey car parks.   Apparently, it will be delivered to existing NX models with the advanced pack via software update.    See page 7 of this resource:

https://www.lexus.com/content/dam/lexus/documents/brochures/models/2022/MY22-Lexus-NX-Brochure.pdf

Two things wrong with that:

1. If the space is that tight I'd be frightened that the people either side of me would damage my car when opening their doors and would therefore never go in such a tight space
  2. Driving, manoeuvring and parking are all skills that we should be proud of and they need doing on a regular basis to keep up that skill level. I don't want a machine doing something I take pride in doing well myself.
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Stumpyuk said:

I’m not sure this is UK spec document. I suspect this is US or Canada?? 

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Two things wrong with that:

1. If the space is that tight I'd be frightened that the people either side of me would damage my car when opening their doors and would therefore never go in such a tight space
  2. Driving, manoeuvring and parking are all skills that we should be proud of and they need doing on a regular basis to keep up that skill level. I don't want a machine doing something I take pride in doing well myself.

I disagree.

1. Its very common to park in a relatively empty carpark but when you return to your car it is hemmed in either side.   I don't want to damage anyone else's car through trying to squeeze into mine.

2. Tech relieves you of the need to maintain workaday skills.   I am proud of my skills in doing arithmetic on paper, but I will reach for a calculator every time I can't do it in my head.

• Like 5

Given the diminutive home garage sizes in the UK, this would be a useful feature. I've seen too many garages where if you can park, you better sleep in the car. You ain't gettin' out.

Next time I see an architect design or builder build a sub 3m wide garage I'm going to slap them.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zanderblue said:

I’m not sure this is UK spec document. I suspect this is US or Canada?? 

I think the document is from North America.   However, AFAIK, the feature is already live in Japanese NX models.   I think the reason for it being released in North America in Q1/Q2 of 2022 is because of the homologation issues (the feature needs approving in that region).   Again, AFAIK, this feature has already been approved for vehicles in the UK:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/remote-control-car-parking-become-legal-uk-june

10 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I wonder how long it will take to hack this system and park the car in a shipping container!

Now that is a frightening thought!

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Now that is a frightening thought!

Maybe, but am not convinced that being frightened by unlikely and low impact theoretical risks without balancing against the advantages is the best way to evaluate this tech.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This was an odd one. I don't think it's offered any longer although it definitely was originally. It was also part of the Takumi pack that could be added to the F-Sport originally but isn't now. They kept the Takumi pack at the same price (£4,500) but deleted the automated parking option making it a very expensive looking option. Now the Takumi pack only has a sunroof, lane change assist, front cross traffic alert and the digital rear view mirror. The sun roof can be ordered for £1,000 separately and so £3,500 for a few options that I doubt I'd ever use seems steep.  

On 1/23/2022 at 4:14 PM, peniole said:

Given the diminutive home garage sizes in the UK, this would be a useful feature. I've seen too many garages where if you can park, you better sleep in the car. You ain't gettin' out.

Next time I see an architect design or builder build a sub 3m wide garage I'm going to slap them.

Does remote parking also include remote getting it out? If not I guess you’ll only use it once! 😉

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ala Larj said:

Does remote parking also include remote getting it out? If not I guess you’ll only use it once! 😉

I would sincerely hope so. Perish the thought. 😆

That would be one awkward phone call, "umm lexus/AA man..

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

😄 That would be a bit awkward if it didn't do that.  I imagine the feature will be based on the Toyota Remote Park stack, I found an app for it on the Japanese apple App store.   It states that it "Assists smooth park-in and park-out", so I guess it will work both ways. 

https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/remote-park/id1577283172?l=en

If you have to use remote park in/out of a space, surely the space is too small for the car in the first place. Anyone parking next to you in a lesser vehicle that has to manually open their door and get out, surely they are going to bash the bodywork on your luxury ride?

Thinking about it.
It would be useful if you have an old house with a tiny garage built for 19050's / 60's cars rather than the modern "trucks" we drive now.

With remote parking in/out at least you could use the old garage for its intended purpose rather than an extra dumping ground.
As only in England do you see 40/50k cars parked in front of a garage containing a few 100's worth of tat. 🙂

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have remote parking on my Mercedes and I only played with parking it, but I found it very useful on several occasion to get the car out of a parking space when another car had parked so close I couldn't get in (their passenger side to my drivers side). So I do hope my new (on order) NX450h+ Takumi does have it.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, Al D-Much said:

Thinking about it.
It would be useful if you have an old house with a tiny garage built for 19050's / 60's cars rather than the modern "trucks" we drive now.

With remote parking in/out at least you could use the old garage for its intended purpose rather than an extra dumping ground.
As only in England do you see 40/50k cars parked in front of a garage containing a few 100's worth of tat. 🙂

Absolutely, but if your car was in such a tight place and auto park failed 😱😱😱

For goodness sake, don’t knock a mirror off, it’s got all the usual gadgets, motors, heaters, cameras, dimmers, swivels etc but it’s also got sonic detection.  Definitely an insurance job if one of those goes south.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lexus cancelled this feature in the US today (10 May 2022) with an offer to pay $500 compensation.  The letter says it will NOT be available in the 2022 NX.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links