Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

It was last June when I posted a question about buying an NX, for which I received some useful advice from both respondents and the forum in general. Some time has passed since then, thanks to some family issues that came up and one or two other things. I had also thought about the Corolla Cross Hybrid that was announced last year but my local Toyota dealer seems genuinely clueless as to when one might be available and whilst I am a dedicated Lexota buyer, time to move on from my previous Toyota and not delay further. To cut the story short I now have a 17 reg NX sitting outside, with which I am very pleased. I did think about the 2018+ model upgrade but my criteria were for a full Lexus history and sufficient miles relative to age to cover me for the remaining Relax warranty period. 18+ models tended to be rather miley relative to my budget and I was bearing in mind the advice that the upgrade was relatively minor so went for condition rather than age as a priority. 

I have a 17 reg plate Luxury with a fully stamped and documented service book and 27k miles on the clock. Plenty of headroom for the next five and half years of the warranty. I did look in the showroom of the local dealer on several occasions, but the last time I visited the salesman suggested I look at a particular car that he thought fitted my wants, and I was shocked to see it had a small dent and scratch in the roof just behind the windscreen. I was profusely assured that this would be resolved as I am sure it would be, but I am amazed that it made it into the showroom without being attended to first. Consequently my search widened and I found a good quality dealer trading in high end cars who had the vehicle I wanted. 

A few minor issues of course. The 90 mile ride home was bone jarring, but then with the tyres pressures at around 40psi I guess it would be! Now set at 32 it is much more magic carpet and corners well with very little roll. The front tyres are Yokohama, and I think that accounts for the tyre roar I can hear on poorer surfaces. The back tyres are that well known brand of Chinese ditch finders, Farroad. They are new, and this particular version has reasonable reviews, not that I would ever have chosen them. Now at the correct pressure they seem much quieter but my experience with cheaper tyres is that as they wear then noise increases disproportionately. I plan to have them swapped to the front at the next service and when the Yokos have had it replace all four with Michelin cross climates, as recommended by several others. The boot is on the compact side but I can cope with that. What I am having great difficulty coping with is the remote controller knob device. I feel I should wear my flowery shirt and flares when using it so that we are all back in the 1980s complete with gauche graphics. If kit like this cant be used intuitively without needing a thick manual then it is not good enough. I had a 65 reg Toyota before and that was much easier to use than this. At one point I wish I had gone for the refreshed model if only to get apple CarPlay. Since then I have sat in the car and played with it and am beginning to make some sense of it and to find my way around. However it bluetooths my music, the phone works and I have a Garmin satnav if all else fails. I am just fitting my dashcam and then look forward to plain sailing. 

Overall, I am very pleased with the car. I have yet to experience the scream of the engine when accelerating, obviously not trying hard enough, but it has simply not been necessary to floor the pedal and the acceleration and cruise seems absolutely fine for everyday use. The sound system is better than I thought, and I have now learnt to cope with the disconnect between the screen and the dash info panel. In fact it makes it easier to use the radio etc on the move using the steering wheel controls. The seats are very comfortable and management in the passenger seat is very happy, its like driving an armchair with the benefit of no neck strain and much easier entry/exit compared to previous experience. I did try one with the pano rood but found that stole a little headroom in the back seat and as a family of beanpoles that would not have been helpful. All in all very happy with my choice and looking forward to many miles of trouble free motoring. A long trip away next week, and motoring holidays in June and then in France in August to get more in depth experience. 

Tally ho!

• Like 7

excellent post and as i'm thinking of buying the same type and year, so was a great read especially about the ecvt '' apparent roar '' . i am used to the inflotainment ,so will be probably no problem , i use waze on my phone for sat-nav and live camera warnings .

Thank you for your replies. I prefer to use the tunnel for channel crossings, and haven't used the ferries for many years. Mid week travel and possibly at unpopular hours might well help. Management will not tolerate failure, as we are going to a family wedding in the Dordogne, plan B will be to fly. I have been sensitised to the CVT roar issue having had an 07 Prius. Very economical, my commute was a round trip of 112 miles most days, but gutless and noisy when acceleration was required. I cant think the NX is anywhere near as bad, and certainly is so much more comfortable. The Prius had to go at 110k as I simply could not live with the awful seat and discomfort any longer. I recently renewed my phone contract and switched from a 2 yr contract with Vodafone to a monthly one with Voxi. This gave me a lower price, more data and is owned by - Vodafone! The idea being that I can also use Waze or similar if necessary instead of the Garmin. 

Looking forward to more hints and tips from the forum. 

• Like 2

You will not be disappointed with a switch to the Michelin Cross Climate. Better road holding, more compliant ride, and far less noise than with the Yokos.

I had Cross Climates on my previous NX, and on an RX before that, and will be switching to them again within the next 6 months when my current, standard fit Yokos need replacing.

• Like 1

I was most impressed with the way you went about seeking your Lexus.  It contrasted sharply with my method.  This involved buying the first one I saw, which also happened to be the first one I'd ever driven!

Fortunately, and six years later, I am still delighted with it.

With regard to the tyres, I personally would not have different brands on both axles.  Mixing different tread patterns and compounds is inviting problems if they react differently under road conditions.

However, I would agree with the choice of Michelin CCs.  We have them on a Suzuki 4x4 and they are excellent.  I would have had them on the Lexus, but it came with 18" wheels and Michelin didn't make one of the two sizes they required.

On 4/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, Royal Enfield said:

What I am having great difficulty coping with is the remote controller knob device. If kit like this cant be used intuitively without needing a thick manual then it is not good enough.

The game-style controller does take some getting used to, but clearly it's not something that should be attempted while on the move anyway. Much of the most useful stuff is tucked away behind a series of menus anyway.

As you have already discovered, the steering wheel controls are very usable, in contrast.

The sat/nav system is - by common agreement - a waste of space. It's clunky to use and even if it can be updated, it'll be out-of-date and expensive. I too use my Garmin and, no doubt like yourself, benefit from four free updates every year.

As far as the intuitiveness of the kit is concerned, my Lexus came with two manuals totalling 1100 pages!  If you have any problems, most of the answers will be there - together with answers to problems you didn't yet know you had!

Glad to hear you're fitting a dashcam.  I am great advocate of these and the more there are on the road, the easier it will be to remove bad drivers.

I'm sure you will not regret your decision and can look forward to many miles of contented Lexus motoring! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LenT said:

I was most impressed with the way you went about seeking your Lexus.  It contrasted sharply with my method.  This involved buying the first one I saw, which also happened to be the first one I'd ever driven!

Fortunately, and six years later, I am still delighted with it.

With regard to the tyres, I personally would not have different brands on both axles.  Mixing different tread patterns and compounds is inviting problems if they react differently under road conditions.

However, I would agree with the choice of Michelin CCs.  We have them on a Suzuki 4x4 and they are excellent.  I would have had them on the Lexus, but it came with 18" wheels and Michelin didn't make one of the two sizes they required.

The game-style controller does take some getting used to, but clearly it's not something that should be attempted while on the move anyway. Much of the most useful stuff is tucked away behind a series of menus anyway.

As you have already discovered, the steering wheel controls are very usable, in contrast.

The sat/nav system is - by common agreement - a waste of space. It's clunky to use and even if it can be updated, it'll be out-of-date and expensive. I too use my Garmin and, no doubt like yourself, benefit from four free updates every year.

As far as the intuitiveness of the kit is concerned, my Lexus came with two manuals totalling 1100 pages!  If you have any problems, most of the answers will be there - together with answers to problems you didn't yet know you had!

Glad to hear you're fitting a dashcam.  I am great advocate of these and the more there are on the road, the easier it will be to remove bad drivers.

I'm sure you will not regret your decision and can look forward to many miles of contented Lexus motoring! 

Oddly enough Len my "carefully thought out" method of acquisition was even more extreme! Having decided the need for an SUV for my dog I researched the options thoroughly thereby never considered Lexus! Then one day read that the RX was the most popular brand in the USA - time to widen my knowledge then. Looking at various affordable ones for sale I happened on one that had just come in the Lexus dealer, Newcastle. It was a Sunday, so I thought I'd try phoning. I did and spoke with a really helpful manager and bought it there and then. Bearing in mind it was lock down and I had never been in a lexus and never even seen a RX 😱. So when I eventually travelled to pick up the vehicle on first sight my first thought - bl**dy hell its big 😱😱😱. But it's been a great buy and would reccomend to anyone. I paid for it on my credit card so had the appropriate safeguarding measures in place and cashback 🥳🥳🥳

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Oddly enough Len my "carefully thought out" method of acquisition was even more extreme! Having decided the need for an SUV for my dog I researched the options thoroughly thereby never considered Lexus! Then one day read that the RX was the most popular brand in the USA - time to widen my knowledge then. Looking at various affordable ones for sale I happened on one that had just come in the Lexus dealer, Newcastle. It was a Sunday, so I thought I'd try phoning. I did and spoke with a really helpful manager and bought it there and then. Bearing in mind it was lock down and I had never been in a lexus and never even seen a RX 😱. So when I eventually travelled to pick up the vehicle on first sight my first thought - bl**dy hell its big 😱😱😱. But it's been a great buy and would reccomend to anyone. I paid for it on my credit card so had the appropriate safeguarding measures in place and cashback 🥳🥳🥳

I sit here humbled, Phil, in shock and awe at the apparent casualness with which you approached the life-changing process of becoming a Lexus owner.

I trust that other LOC members will take note that clearly neither of us are fit and proper sources of car buying advice.

Still, turned out all right in the end!!  😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

The Gods were clearly on your side Phil !

1 hour ago, LenT said:

I sit here humbled, Phil, in shock and awe at the apparent casualness with which you approached the life-changing process of becoming a Lexus owner.

I trust that other LOC members will take note that clearly neither of us are fit and proper sources of car buying advice.

Still, turned out all right in the end!!  😊

None of us has the clear path to Olympus Len, that Phil enjoys 🤣👍

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The Gods were clearly on your side Phil !

You make me sound in an earlier life I must have known Leonidas 🤣. In reality it wasn't that big a deal. Looked at no end of YouTube vids and articles about the car. Looked at the owner reviews and the extraordinary level of support from Lexus and the dealer network. Looked at the total cost of ownership numbers and to clinch it - the LOC site. As the Greeks say - Ti na kanome (what else could I do?) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a lot of sympathy with the view about matching the set of tyres. Once the Yokohamas need replacing then a matched set of preferably Michelin CCs will be fitted, or failing that the Continental equivalent. A good friend is a director of a well known tyre company in the commercial sector, and former Michelin employee, and a sound source of advice.

The dash cam was easily fitted, I reckon to fit them in less than an hour but was stumped by the fact that the NX uses mini fuses rather than the standard blade type. amazon rapidly provided the necessary components to finish the job. There was an impressive amount of sound deadening material behind the glove box and even the horizontal finish plate below the fuse box had foam fitted around the catch to prevent chatter. 

Having returned from our trip of around 600 miles I was (even more) impressed with the car. It returned low 40s mpg with a 50/50 mix of A road, motorway/ country lanes, tootling about. Surprisingly better than I would have expected from my previous Avensis 1.8 petrol auto estate.I live with the controller and sat nav, a disappointing dogs breakfast and Lexota can and should have done better. Not sure about the audio quality but with two hearing aids I don’t have Bang and Olufsen ears. 

I do not drive on the edge so ultimate cornering ability etc beloved by the critics is not an issue for me. It stops, starts and goes round corners with quiet aplomb and suits me fine. 70 mph was easily maintained and the radar cruise control was very effective. I did pull out onto a main road when a car appeared in my mirror at rapid pace, this suggested flooring the pedal for the first time in anger as it were. I was anticipating the engine roar talked of so much by the scribblers. Let’s just say had you experienced driving my old 07reg Prius you would really wonder what the fuss was about. Performance, for me anyway, was more than adequate throughout the trip. Comfort? We drove for nearly four hours non-stop, I can’t remember when we last did that. Every time we get in the car management says “ this car is so comfortable” and then falls asleep!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just had michelin Cross Climates fitted, can't believe the difference they have made to comfort and no more tyre roar. Michelin currently doing a promotion if the timing is right for you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately the timing is not quite right, but Cross Climates are definitely on the list. Having spent a significant sum I am not going to spoil the party for the sake of a set of tyres, but a few more miles to go yet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links