Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keeping a car alive while injured

Hello friends

On Monday 4th I fell off my bike on the way to work and fractured and dislocated my shoulder. Last Monday I had surgery to fix it with some metal plates which went well however I can't drive for at least another 3 weeks and potentially longer (basically until I'm no longer wearing a sling and can execute an emergency evasive turn properly with the affected arm).

The car was driven last weekend as my dad helped me go and collect my bike however my wife isn't insured to drive it and is somewhat put off by how big it is compared to her car. Wondering what I can do to keep it alive while I'm recovering. Would simply starting the engine and letting it warm up to temperature every couple of weeks be sufficient or do I need to find someone to drive it around?

Any advice on this much appreciated

Thanks,
Mark

• Sad 1

Best would be to connect a trickle charger, such as a CTEK to keep the electrics happy.

Sorry to hear of your accident but good the surgery went well. Take your time to heal and try and enjoy some pampering. All the best 

Sorry to hear of your accident wishing you a quick and full recovery.

As above with the charging and engine running but I would add in to move the car if possible a short distance ( up and down the driveway a few time if you have one) just to keep the brake discs free from rust and the tyres from developing flat spots.

• Like 1

sorry to hear of your troubles ..  may it heal soon 

Temporary insurance for a week or a month for your dad to drive it a little maybe ?

Malc

• Like 1

I also agree driving at least once a week would be good, maybe you could convince your wife just to drive it around the block for 5-10mins when there is no traffic around.

I'd avoid using the parking brake as well, choc the wheels instead.

Like the others, I'm sorry to hear of your injuries and I hope you make a speedy recovery.

As for the car, I think you'll be alright without doing anything, although a trickle charger is a good idea regardless.

It's mostly the hybrids that suffer the Battery problems because the 12V batteries fitted to these are small when compared to a standard car such as yours. My 2013 RX450h had, if I remember correctly, a 45Ah or possibly 50Ah fitted, whereas yours should be 75Ah or more, I would have thought, which means that it can stand for longer before going flat.

Plus, and with due respect to the others, I really doubt that the tyres will develop flat spots or brakes seize up in just a few weeks. A year or more, yes, but not just a few weeks.

A few years ago I had a triple heart bypass and wasn't allowed to drive for eight weeks and I was in exactly the same situation; wife can't drive and car not insured for anyone but me. When the day finally came there were no problems whatsoever; car fired up first time, no stuck/binding brakes and no flat spots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I've moved it around on the driveway a little and held the revs at 2000 until it came up to temperature. Maybe that'll be sufficient, I have a jumpstarter I keep in the car in case the Battery goes flat. Wife's insurance is up for renewal soon so hopefully I'll be able to get her insured to drive other cars 3rd party.

• Like 2

This is just for info, do what makes you happy...

When we had a LS430 and an IS250 they were both left on the drive for 6 months at a time while we were abroad, this was over winter for two years.... Both started and ran fine when we returned, the 430 had flat spots on the tyres which went after a few miles driving, the 250 was fine... Neither had trickle chargers but both batteries were only a couple of years old...

My wifes current CT200h sat on the drive for three months and again ran fine when we returned, it even backed off the drive and drove a short way down the road on electric before the engine cut in...

So don't worry too much, just get well soon....

• Like 3

If the car is in the sun, then one of the solar chargers that plugs into the OBD port would keep the Battery topped up. I used one to keep my RX300 topped up when it wasn't being used for a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 11:16 AM, m4rkw said:

Thanks guys, I've moved it around on the driveway a little and held the revs at 2000 until it came up to temperature. Maybe that'll be sufficient, I have a jumpstarter I keep in the car in case the battery goes flat. Wife's insurance is up for renewal soon so hopefully I'll be able to get her insured to drive other cars 3rd party.

I have always found that keeping my wife as a named driver on my policy has ALWAYS resulted in a cheaper premium, (and, for the same reason, I was always a named driver on my wife's car)

Seriously - worth doing.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links